Formatting options

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 04-09-2012 3:25 PM by LG81. 7 replies.
  • 04-08-2012 8:57 PM

• LG81
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-03-2010
    • Posts 4,338

Formatting options

Ever since joining this site, I have found issues with formatting options not working.  The problems have become worse, however, in the last couple of months (at least as far as I've noticed).  I've long given up on trying to post something in an acceptable citation format.  Now it's very difficult to even add emphasis without using caps; plus how one sees the formatting in the writing pane does not carry over into what is posted.  Is anyone working on this, or will these continue status quo? 

• 04-08-2012 9:08 PM In reply to

Re: Formatting options

LG81:
    Ever since joining this site, I have found issues with formatting options not working.  The problems have become worse, however, in the last couple of months (at least as far as I've noticed).  I've long given up on trying to post something in an acceptable citation format.  Now it's very difficult to even add emphasis without using caps; plus how one sees the formatting in the writing pane does not carry over into what is posted

Taxagent mentioned some issues with bullet points recently.

I've had to tweak text that I get from outside sources and it does get frustrating.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 04-08-2012 9:56 PM In reply to

I've complained several times before that the underlining, indenting, and strikethrough features don't work at all, and that the bullet feature is broken in that the bullet you think you are using when you draft the post is converted into a different style of bullet once you actually post the reply.

For what it's worth, if you use the preview feature before you send the post you will get to see what it will really look like when you send it. But I've been mystified why this site can't fix the formatting to work right. These basic formatting functions are the most basic thing that pretty much every text editor, word processor, page design program, etc., do. The coding for this can't really be that hard. If this site bought the message board software off the rack from someone, then the company is owed a partial refund for screwing up the most basic functions that any text editing software should have. They found the time to put in a filter to block out words like the first name of our third president but cannot find the time to get the formatting features to work right. I just have to wonder what they think is really important. 

• 04-08-2012 11:52 PM In reply to

Taxagent:
    the underlining, indenting, and strikethrough features don't work at all,

They look like they work when you prepare the post but don't transfer after you've hit the post button. 

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 04-09-2012 12:27 AM In reply to

adjuster jack:

Taxagent:
    the underlining, indenting, and strikethrough features don't work at all,

They look like they work when you prepare the post but don't transfer after you've hit the post button. 

That's what I mean, they don't show up at all when you submit the post. The bullets, on the other hand, do show up, just differently than the way they looked when composing the message.

• 04-09-2012 1:48 PM In reply to

• LG81
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-03-2010
    • Posts 4,338

Taxagent:
    I've complained several times before that the underlining, indenting, and strikethrough features don't work at all, and that the bullet feature is broken in that the bullet you think you are using when you draft the post is converted into a different style of bullet once you actually post the reply.

Yes, I've noticed much of this since joining two years ago.  However, it seems to have gotten worse.  With the underscore feature not working (which I hated if I had something to cite), I gave up on that and never cite.  For emphasis though, I used to at least be able to use italics.  Now the italics appear to work intermittently.

• 04-09-2012 3:09 PM In reply to

LG81:
    For emphasis though, I used to at least be able to use italics.  Now the italics appear to work intermittently.

My basic problem with the italics is that given the site's choice of font, the italics doesn't stand out very well; it's just a slightly slanted version of the standard font rather than a distinctive italics font. The result is that unless you italicize more than a few words it may not be very obvious at all that you used italics. The bold is the only formatting feature here that, in my opinion, does a decent job at what it's supposed to do.

• 04-09-2012 3:25 PM In reply to

• LG81
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-03-2010
    • Posts 4,338

Taxagent:
    My basic problem with the italics is that given the site's choice of font, the italics doesn't stand out very well; it's just a slightly slanted version of the standard font rather than a distinctive italics font

I've always had the same issue with the italics, but at least the arial-looking italics would work.  Now it seems even that works intermittently.  Oh well.  I just wish all of the formatting would be fixed (it's not that difficult). 

And of course, I wish many of the regular posters would learn to use the quote feature.  For the reason you listed alone, it makes responses more difficult to read (and some don't even use italics when quoting). This includes some of the lawyer contributors. 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community