child support increase

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 04-23-2012 2:32 PM by superman1. 4 replies.
  • 04-21-2012 9:02 PM

• L.J.S
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-22-2012
    • IL
    • Posts 1

child support increase

I plan on getting married soon and my future husband has never been late on his child support payments he is current. I own a small business. Can my income be factored into his to increase his child support payments. I live in Illinois.

• 04-21-2012 9:37 PM In reply to

• Kivi
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-01-2005
    • CA
    • Posts 6,140

Re: child support increase

You have no legal obligation to support children that are not biologically yours or yours by adoption.

So, the answer is no, at least not directly.

Indirectly, he may have a little more disposible income once you two are married. While two people cannot live more cheaply than one, two people living together can live more cheaply than two people living separately. However, I believe IL CS guidelines are very much a percentage of income of the noncustodial parent. They may allow for some variations based upon the whether he has covered them on his health insurance at his expense and maybe there is some variation based upon the number of nights that he has custody, but that usually about it with most of these child support guidelines unless there are multiple support orders.

• 04-21-2012 10:25 PM In reply to

Since you are concerned with one financial aspect of marriage here's another one you should be concerned with.

If the marriage doesn't work out in a few years he could walk away with a share of the value of your business.

How he might do that is outlined here:

http://www.divorce-law-illinois.com/division.html

You might be wise to talk to an attorney about how to keep your business sole and separate.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 04-23-2012 2:29 PM In reply to

It's very unlikely, but you might want to read up by googling Illinois child support guidelines.  However, if he falls behind, JOINT accounts, property( like a house...), etc, can be tapped.

And I'd consider a premarital agreement making the business your own?  Or it WILL become marital property in a divorce.  Funny how sometimes people come here with a question, but it's another aspect not considered that could cause them more trouble.

• 04-23-2012 2:32 PM In reply to

I'm really in agreement with Jack on this one.

I'd talk to a lawyer about that one as Jack suggests.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community