Short Term Disability

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Wed, May 16 2012 3:16 PM by cbg. 3 replies.
  • Tue, May 15 2012 3:05 PM

• sandcunn
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, May 15 2012
    • GA
    • Posts 2

Short Term Disability

If you are on short term disability from your job and are receiving short term disability funds and they decided to terminate your position can you still sontinute to receive short term disability til the doctor release you.

• Tue, May 15 2012 3:26 PM In reply to

Re: Short Term Disability

Depends.

If it's being paid by an insurance policy, maybe yes.

If it was just salary continuation paid by the employer, maybe not.

I guess you'll get the answer if you keep getting checks or if they stop coming.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Tue, May 15 2012 4:10 PM In reply to

Here is the problem:  if it is a STD policy that is partially or fully funded by the employer then you would have to continue to pay the entire policy premium in order to receive the checks.  Once the premium is no longer being paid then the checks stop.  There is no COBRA continuation for STD policies and it is entirely up to how the policy is written as to whether you can pick those payments up and continue the policy.  Often it is written to say that when employment is terminated so does the policy.

If the employer was continuing to pay you out of their generosity then no.

I disagree that you should wait and see if the checks continue.  The last thing you want is to be paid money you aren't supposed to get and have them come after you to get it back or worse, find out you missed a deadline or paperwork you need to continue the benefits.  You need to contact your benefits administrator ASAP and find out what the policy is on STD and payment after termination.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Wed, May 16 2012 3:16 PM In reply to

• cbg
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 21 2000
    • MA
    • Posts 6,860

Just for the record, I have been administering employer sponsored group benefits, including STD policies, for over 30 years, and I have yet to see an STD policy where benefits on a claim already started did not continue if the employee was still disabled by the terms of the policy when employment ended.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community