My family got H PYLORI BACTERIA infection from well water.

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 10-08-2012 3:18 AM by jacobs8891. 23 replies.
  • 05-27-2012 2:20 AM

• Irenetriv
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-26-2012
    • VA
    • Posts 6

My family got H PYLORI BACTERIA infection from well water.

Me, my boyfriend and my 2 daughters are renting an older home with well water.  We complained couple of of times that the water didn't look clear.  On some occasions after heavy rain the water turned yellowish brown. When we called the property management we were told that it's normal.  He said that his water has the same issue when it rains and he still drinks that water and he is fine.  He told us we can move out of the house if we think we get sick here at the end of our lease in August.  I called the Health department and they wont test the water for us unless the landlord requests it.

My 24 year old daughter has been sick for a while and after a few visits to the doctor they finally found out that she has H Pylori.  That serious infection comes from drinking contaminated water that has that bacteria and can cause stomach cancer.  We tested the water and the test was positive for bacteria.  The rest of us are getting ready to also go test for that bacteria as well this week. 

What kind of action can we take against the property management that refused to test the water for us all this time and suggested that it's ok to drink and use and the owner of that property that told us to talk to the property manager since he is the one handling the property?

Thanks!

• 05-27-2012 2:26 AM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-09-2000
    • NV
    • Posts 5,191

Re: My family got H PYLORI BACTERIA infection from well water.

Notify the local health department, and they should shut down the well.  It would then be up to the owner to provide another source of water or in most states be in violation of the lease and you would be able to move out without penalty.  Contact a local Personal Injury attorney to see if there is any liability on the part of the owner or his agent for the illness.

• 05-27-2012 8:16 AM In reply to

Irenetriv:
    That serious infection comes from drinking contaminated water that has that bacteria and can cause stomach cancer.

Actually at least 50% of the world's population carries the H-pylori bacteria and never has a problem with it.  Many never know they are sick.  H-Pylori is known for causing stomach ulcers not stomach cancer.

Irenetriv:
     We tested the water and the test was positive for bacteria.

Which bacteria was it positive for?  One problem you may have is that if the well water does not have H-Pylori the it may not be the well that caused it.  Since over half the world carries it that makes it a very common bacteria.  Proving that the well is what made you sick could be difficult.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• 05-27-2012 9:27 AM In reply to

Irenetriv:
    What kind of action can we take

Consult a personal injury attorney and see if you have the basis for a lawsuit. If you do, it would be against the owner, not the management company.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 05-27-2012 2:38 PM In reply to

In the meantime, boiling the water before drinking it will kill any bacteria in the water. Once the water is brought to a rolling boil it should be fine. Let it cool and then put it in a pitcher for later use.  As for the discoloration, that is likely due to minerals or sediment in the water, which can easily be removed by filtering the water. (Generally speaking, you won't see visible signs of bacteria in water.) You can buy a filtering system that attaches right to the faucet and they are not terribly expensive. 

• 05-29-2012 12:26 AM In reply to

• Irenetriv
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-26-2012
    • VA
    • Posts 6

I already have a PUR water filter attached to my faucet and the water still looks dirty.  Some days is better then other.  When it rains a lot it's the worst.  I am planning on testing the water again for the specific bacteria if there is a place I can do that localy.  My lease is getting ready to expire end of August and I would hate to move but I rather do that and feel safe in another place.  I went and filled like 30 gallons and brought it home for now for cooking and we drink bottle water only.  Thanks for your responce!  :o)

• 05-29-2012 12:29 AM In reply to

• Irenetriv
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-26-2012
    • VA
    • Posts 6

Re: My family got H PYLORI BACTERIA infection from well wate...

Can they test for that H-pylori bacteria specifically?  The lab company that tested my water last week gave me the information over the phone and they said they can send me the results.  I will call and get the specifics tomorrow.

• 05-29-2012 8:28 AM In reply to

• LG81
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-03-2010
    • Posts 4,338

Irenetriv:
    I already have a PUR water filter attached to my faucet and the water still looks dirty.  Some days is better then other.  When it rains a lot it's the worst.

That it is worse when it's raining points to the probability the discoloration is caused by minerals and/or sediment.  (The bacteria you specify would be colorless.)

• 05-29-2012 9:35 AM In reply to

• LG81
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-03-2010
    • Posts 4,338

Irenetriv:
    Can they test for that H-pylori bacteria specifically?

Yes, the water can be specifically tested for the presence of H-pylori bateria.  If it is found, you can certainly present those findings to the owner or property manager and ask them to treat the well.  If they refuse, you can contact your county's health department to see if it will take action.  If the bacteria is found in the water and if the property manager refuses to treat the well water, then you would probably have grounds for breaking the lease.

• 05-30-2012 9:39 AM In reply to

• Irenetriv
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-26-2012
    • VA
    • Posts 6

Yesterday, I called lab after lab and I cannot find one that tests the water for h pylory.  I guess people don't care if their water has it since they don't know what it can do to you.  I had no idea about that bacteria until my daughter was diagnosed with it couple of weeks ago..  

• 05-30-2012 10:57 AM In reply to

• LG81
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-03-2010
    • Posts 4,338

Irenetriv:
    Yesterday, I called lab after lab and I cannot find one that tests the water for h pylory.

• 05-30-2012 10:57 AM In reply to

• LG81
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-03-2010
    • Posts 4,338

Irenetriv:
    Yesterday, I called lab after lab and I cannot find one that tests the water for h pylory.

Have you tried calling your county's health department or even your state's health department?  These agencies may or may not be willing to test for it, but they may be able to give you the name of a lab that does.

• 05-30-2012 12:55 PM In reply to

Irenetriv:
    I called lab after lab and I cannot find one that tests the water for h pylory.

Probably because the route of transmission in the bacteria is still unknown and 2/3 of the world is already infected with it.  It is so common that running a test for it really is not necessary.

Irenetriv:
    I guess people don't care if their water has it since they don't know what it can do to you.

It isn't that people don't care it is that most never have any problems with the bacteria.  The few that do are well treated with a two week course of antibiotics. 

I found this statement at a very good website:

"How do people get infected with H. pylori?
    It is not known how H. pylori is transmitted or why some patients become symptomatic while others do not. The bacteria are most likely spread from person to person through fecal-oral or oral-oral routes. Possible environmental reservoirs include contaminated water sources.

What can people do to prevent H. pylori infection?
    Since the source of H. pylori is not yet known, recommendations for avoiding infection have not been made. "

As the statement indicates POSSIBLE sources are contaminated water but the most common probable cause is person to person transmission. As yet the way it happens in unknown and since there is no known way to prevent infection, this makes prevailing in a lawsuit virtually impossible. 

You might want to check out this web page on the bacteria:

http://www.h2otest.com/factsheets/hpylori.html

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• 05-30-2012 12:57 PM In reply to

It's possible there is NOT a test for water- just human blood, breath, stomach or stools popped up on a quick google search.  

It is believed to be passed oral-oral and oral-fecal...and possibly transmitted thru water tainted with human waste.  Any reason to believe the well is contaminated with human waste?

• 05-30-2012 1:16 PM In reply to

• LG81
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-03-2010
    • Posts 4,338

Irenetriv:

Articles published about studies by the NIH and some very reputable universities, indeed indicate that water can be tested for H-pylori.   It may take an awful lot of perseverance to find a lab that tests for it.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community