Adult bullying

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 07-10-2012 12:33 PM by Chancey1. 5 replies.
  • 07-10-2012 2:20 AM

Adult bullying

I was bullied by my neighbor a year and half ago. He and I work at the same company. My in-laws lived with me and he had been using my in-laws as babysit. He drops off his kid at my home everyday. His kid is about one year old at that time.

In 2009, I lost my job due to company layoff. After that, my in-laws and my wife became increasingly emotionally abusive. In 2010, I started to realize that they have been slandering me behind my back and I'm concerned that they are attempting to overtake my house. I started to fight back. My neighbor became convinced that I'm about to throw out my in-laws and began meddling in my family affair. I explained to him what's happening and that there is a power struggle at home. He sounded like he understands my plight.

However, shortly after, he and other neighbors started to lecture me on family value. He told me it's my moral duty to keep my in-laws because they raised my son since he was an infant. And he accused me of lying when I didn't answer his instant message chat request on the company network when I told him I will be doing company work that evening. 

I ignored him afterwards because I don't think there is any point talking to him anymore. He already made up his verdict. During the same time, my mother-in-law kept provoking me. Due to the concern of my safety and due to my increasing work demand, I spent more and more time at work. He started to mocking me working overtime when dropping off his kid at my house. He also came to my house frequently, giving me disapproving looks. On the company instant messenger, he even told me "I don't like to live with my mother-in-law, but I think you should let your mother-in-law live with you."

My in-laws became increasing boldened due to his meddling and the abuse became more prominent and public. Things were so out of hand at my house, I ran away. And the first thing he said after he saw me was "That's it? Are you giving up on marriage?" 

After I moved out, my in-laws finally moved out 4 months later, and during this time, he continued to use my house as his daycare center.

What I like to know is:

a) Do I have a case of personal injury against this person?

b) Does anyone have a recommendation for a personal injury lawyer in Austin with good empathy?

Thanks,

• 07-10-2012 3:09 AM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-09-2000
    • NV
    • Posts 5,188

Re: Adult bullying

TXFencePost:

Not that I see. While anyone can sue anyone for anything, I don't see absuccessful lawsuit.

Try find a lawyer at the right for a listing of PI lawyers in your area.

• 07-10-2012 5:33 AM In reply to

TXFencePost:

I see no basis for a successful lawsuit here. Generally speaking, conflicts of this type do not give rise any damages that the law recognizes. For the most part, emotional distress gives rise to legal damages in those states that recognize it if the distress was accompanied by physical damage to you or close loved one that you witnessed, or the circumstances were so extreme as to be outrageous and shocking to the ordinary person. I'm not familiar with Texas law specifically, but I'd be suprised if you had a good claim for damages under the facts you gave here. The law does not require people to be nice, and you don't get money damages every time someone upsets you.

• 07-10-2012 12:22 PM In reply to

Before confiding in the nieghbor, it probably would have been wise to realize that HE had a reason for wanting your in-laws there; they babysat his kid!  So his opinions were based on his own wants and needs.

• 07-10-2012 12:31 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 48,960

Have you considered moving back into your own home ?

• 07-10-2012 12:33 PM In reply to

Seems to me that you're focusing on a particular tree and missing the forest (perhaps misdirecting energy to avoid looking at a larger problem; you may want to re-read your post with a stranger's eye, for instance). 

So long as someone else has an ownership interest in the property ... namely your wife, I gather ... she's free to invite whomever she pleases to live or visit.  (Hint:  divorce attorney.)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community