Marriage by default

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 07-25-2012 9:44 AM by adjuster jack. 9 replies.
  • 07-23-2012 5:02 PM

• Switzer
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-22-2012
    • ID
    • Posts 100

Marriage by default

Does anyone know the exact process of marriage by default? I know Arizona has that opition and I think Idaho does as well. Does it have anything to do with either party just not doing anything at all to help the process of divorce? 

• 07-23-2012 5:17 PM In reply to

Re: Marriage by default

Switzer:
    Does anyone know the exact process of marriage by default?

There is no such thing as "marriage by default." That phrase would indicate that a person ends up married by default, i.e. through no action on his/her part, and that's not possible.

Switzer:
    Does it have anything to do with either party just not doing anything at all to help the process of divorce? 

There may be an award of divorce by default, i.e. one spouse files for divorce and the other spouse never responds and never contests the divorce, then the spouse that filed might ask the court to go ahead and grant the divorce based on the other spouse's failure to respond to the divorce action.

• 07-23-2012 6:05 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 48,922

I think AZ has some form of marriage by covenant but know little about same

• 07-23-2012 6:55 PM In reply to

Drew:

I think AZ has some form of marriage by covenant but know little about same

Yes. Here are the details.

http://www.lawhelp.org/documents/92101covenant.html?stateabbrev=/AZ/

But that not what the OP is referring to.

Marriage by default is getting drunk in Vegas and waking up married to somebody you've never met before.

Or

Marriage by default is getting married in what's left of the chapel after the last earthquake.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 07-23-2012 9:42 PM In reply to

adjuster jack:
    Marriage by default is getting married in what's left of the chapel after the last earthquake.

It took me a minute to catch that one!  cute  : )

• 07-23-2012 9:44 PM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2001
    • TX
    • Posts 7,377

adjuster jack:
    Marriage by default

Sounds like a CA joke. 

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

• 07-24-2012 12:39 PM In reply to

Haha, that joke was funny. OP, are you asking about common law marriage? I know that common law marriage is still a possibility in some southern states, not to sure about out west in AZ, though.

• 07-24-2012 2:23 PM In reply to

Mrs.Morrison:
    OP, are you asking about common law marriage? I know that common law marriage is still a possibility in some southern states, not to sure about out west in AZ, though.

"Common-law marriage can still be contracted in ten states (Alabama, Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, New Hampshire (posthumously), Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, and Utah) and in the District of Columbia."

Arizona abolished common-law marriage in 1913, Idaho in 1996.

All states will honor a common-law marriage that was legally created in another state.

Above information obtained from Wikipedia. Yeah, I know. But the article appears reasonably accurate based on my own knowledge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common-law_marriage_in_the_United_States

• to keep and bear arms,
  • 07-25-2012 8:32 AM In reply to

• Switzer
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-22-2012
    • ID
    • Posts 100

This whole thread has kind of given me a good laugh. I don't how I did this, but I worded my question entirely wrong. What I meant was divorce by default. Big difference huh? 

• 07-25-2012 9:44 AM In reply to

Switzer:
    This whole thread has kind of given me a good laugh. I don't how I did this,

We take every opportunity to inject some humor into this site.

Switzer:
    I worded my question entirely wrong. What I meant was divorce by default. Big difference huh? 

Yes.

Default divorces can be obtained when the other spouse doesn't respond to the divorce petition.

• to keep and bear arms,
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community