Corporate Rental Car - Proof of Liability Insurance

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 07-27-2012 8:38 PM by adjuster jack. 13 replies.
  • 07-26-2012 2:59 PM

Corporate Rental Car - Proof of Liability Insurance

Hello,

I work for a large consulting firm, and our firm makes us decline LDW and CDW when renting from Hertz rent-a-car because the firm carries liability and loss damage coverage while we are traveling on firm business.

I recieved a ticket in Houston, Tx, and the court wants proof of liability insurance. I do not own a car, and never drive when I am not renting a car for business. The court clerk that I talked to, said that I have to show something with my name on it. However, I can produce the fact that the company has liability for all their employees and I am an employee. She told that would not work when requestion defensive driving.

What do I do?

Urgent! My court date is next week.

• 07-26-2012 3:17 PM In reply to

Re: Corporate Rental Car - Proof of Liability Insurance

The court clerk is probalby wrong.

Bring proof of liability insurance and proof of your employment and that should do it.

You might have to bring the actual liability policy that shows coverage extends to rental vehicles driven by employees. Or maybe a certificate of insurance from the liability carrier with your name on it showing that you were covered on the date of the ticket.

Of cours, that's likely to be incomprehensible to a court clerk so you might have to just plead not guilty (on the insurance) and bring it to your hearing.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 07-26-2012 3:21 PM In reply to

I agree with the prior response.  Unfortunately, you're apparently dealing with a small minded functionary who wants to exalt form over substance.  Hopefully the judge who hears your case will be smarter.

• 07-26-2012 3:59 PM In reply to

Thanks for the replies...

My employer is quite large, and it is taking a fair amount of time to get the insurance certificate. No one seems to know the process that well. If I plead not guilty, then it would buy me some time to get the insurance certificate, but it would require me to travel back to Houston.

I would really just like to get defensive driving or deferred disposition which I can handle by mail. In my effort to avoid traveling to Houston, I was considering another option:

- Using my dad's insurance (I think I am still listed as a driver, but the rental car is not listed on it)

Do you think the court will accept it?

• 07-26-2012 4:03 PM In reply to

• LG81
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-03-2010
    • Posts 4,338

In the requests for the insurance certificate, who are you dealing with -- someone within PwC, or someone in the AMEX travel office? 

• 07-26-2012 4:17 PM In reply to

PwC Employee:
    - Using my dad's insurance (I think I am still listed as a driver, but the rental car is not listed on it)

Unless you were a covered driver on that insurance AND the insurance covered the rental, it won't suffice.

• 07-26-2012 4:29 PM In reply to

I dealing with someone within PwC because PwC no longer uses Amex for liability insurance purposes. Amex told me that the coverage stopped back in 1998.

• 07-26-2012 4:31 PM In reply to

Hmmm - Ok. So I will try to identify if it covers it or not.

The court clerk mentioned that if I purchased non-owner's insurance and submitted it in the mail then that would suffice. The police officer only wrote a ticket for speeding, not for lack of insurance, so the court clerk assumes that the date of the insurance coverage will not matter.

Thoughts?

• 07-26-2012 4:48 PM In reply to

• LG81
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-03-2010
    • Posts 4,338

PwC Employee:

I dealing with someone within PwC because PwC no longer uses Amex for liability insurance purposes. Amex told me that the coverage stopped back in 1998.

Yes, PwC does not use AMEX for liability insurance, but they use AMEX for travel.  The travel office should have a copy of the insurance certificate on hand.  In the travel policy (which is of course PwC's travel policy - not AMEX's), there should be a number to call if a traveler is in an accident while on travel.  Try calling that number.  Although you were not in an accident, that office should be able to direct you to how to get the insurance certificate. 

• 07-26-2012 7:25 PM In reply to

PwC Employee:
    The police officer only wrote a ticket for speeding, not for lack of insurance

You didn't mention that before.

Are you saying that you have to have insurance just to sign up for defensive driving?

And the insurance has nothing to do with the date of the ticket?

Or do you have to show that you were insured for the car you were driving when you got the ticket.

• to keep and bear arms,
  • 07-27-2012 3:15 PM In reply to

Adjuster Jack,

Yes... I did not mention it because I was only looking for the answer to a specific question and did not want to bombard you all with too much info.

The ticket was for speeding, not for lack of insurance. In all scenarios that I can think of, I will have to show proof of liability insurance to resolve this case (unless I can prove that I was not speeding). My other desire is: 1) Not having to travel back to Houston 2) Getting this resolved without admitting guilt and having a ding on my driving record.

What is the most cost effective way to resolve this? What is the fastest way to resolve this before my arraignment date in a week?

• 07-27-2012 3:28 PM In reply to

PwC Employee:
    The ticket was for speeding, not for lack of insurance. In all scenarios that I can think of, I will have to show proof of liability insurance to resolve this case

Why would you have to show proof of insurance?

Please be specific.

The why is important in determining the how, as well as the answers to your last two questions.

If you need to show proof of insurance for the car you were driving at the time of your ticket, you'll need to pursue your efforts to get the documentation.

If you need only to show that you are insured now so that you can sign up for defensive driving without travelling to the hearing, then it might suffice to show that you are LISTED on your father's policy.

That's why I'm asking why you need to show proof of insurance.

If you don't know, you'll need to find out.

Otherwise, just pay the fine if paying the fine eliminates attending the hearing.

• to keep and bear arms,
  • 07-27-2012 3:54 PM In reply to

I need to show proof of insurance for defensive driving purposes only.

• 07-27-2012 8:38 PM In reply to

PwC Employee:

I need to show proof of insurance for defensive driving purposes only.

Good.

Should make things alot easier.

Look at your father's policy and see if your name appears as a listed driver on the Declarations Page. The Declarations Page is the front page of the policy that shows a summary of coverages and premiums. Sometimes they show the listed drivers for which premiums are charged. If your name is listed you should be able to just provide a copy of the Declarations Page to sign up for the class.

If your name doesn't appear on the Declarations Page, see if your father's insurance agent will give you a certificate of insurance showing that you are covered by the policy.

A certificate of insurance looks like this:

http://www.tdi.texas.gov/certificates/documentcr/117879.pdf

It'll should have your name in the Insured space.

That's an industry standard form but some insurance companies have their own and they contain the same information.

An alternative would be for the agent to issue a state recognized insurance card in your name.

All of that stuff is generated by computer in the agent's office these days. 

• to keep and bear arms,
Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community