Deed and Mortgage Registration

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 08-16-2012 8:21 PM by Drew. 7 replies.
  • 08-15-2012 2:49 PM

Deed and Mortgage Registration

We bought a house and went into closing last Jan 17 2012. We transfered and occupied the house Feb 1. I went to the City Assessors Office to get a copy of the registered Deed to register my son in school but they said there is nothing with them about the property. My lawyer gave a bunch of papers after closing and a few is about registering the Deed online. It contains a registration number and a couple of attachements. I check with the county clerks office and they said the registration number is for an online request to register but the paper deed was not filed.

Question:

1) How long does it take to register a Deed and also the mortgage to the county? Does it take 6 months?  Now it has been 2 weeks and no reply from the title company and also my lawyer who I hired for the house purchase.

2) Is there something wrongfully done with regards to the sale of the property I should be looking into?

3) Is there something I can do to speed up this process of registering the Deed and Mortgage?

Please advice. Thank you

• 08-15-2012 3:26 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,519

Re: Deed and Mortgage Registration

Ouch....at least around me its common to take the deed to courthouse that same day and register it ----failure to register same could lead to major issues if somebody files a competing claim ahead of you.  There is something wrong with 6 months--IF -- you paid your attorney to file it---me, at $250/hr I can walk it in, pay the recording fee, get a date stamp and be sure---now the confirmation back from recorder may take several weeks but NOT the actual recording/time stamp receipt--your details may vary --but get on it!!

• 08-15-2012 8:31 PM In reply to

as you said Drew, I can do this by myself. So what papers do I need to bring to the county clerk's office to get the Deed Registered?  Do photocopies of the document be acceptable for submission to the county clerk's office.

I believe the title company is the one responsible for the registration, this I get from the emails forwarded to me by the lawyer I hired for the house purchase, and the emails dates March 2012, and yet up to now they havent done it.

Is there any repercussion I can do file against the title company and the lawyer I hired ?

Please advice. Thank you

• 08-16-2012 10:24 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,519

You probably need the original of the deed with original signatures -ditto for  mortgage --

Failure to record timely goes beyond sloppy--its risky and to me its malpractice 101. --but not clear who has duty to record--title firm or you lawyer---ring a big bell --somebody needs to get it done.-

• 08-16-2012 2:39 PM In reply to

it is the job of the title company which the seller chose.

So, do you think if i file a malpratice for the lawyer of the seller and the title company, they would work on this the soonest?

and what are the chances of this malpratice thing you are saying?

I am really considering this, cause they have caused me undue stress already. and I just filled an appeal to the board of education in my place that all requirements for my son will be submitted before sept 5 school starts.

• 08-16-2012 2:58 PM In reply to

I cannot fathom why a school needs a "registered deed" to register your kid.  That's just nonsense.

This isn't something to file a legal malpractice case over (and that takes years, conceivably).

I'd just go to the title company and say "please cough up this deed or explain to me where it is, 'cause the city/county land records folks say they don't have it."

I wouldn't worry about the mortgage being "registered"; that's your lender's problem.

• 08-16-2012 8:00 PM In reply to

the school needs a proof of address, utility bills and home ownership or lease contract are the requirements. Since the Deed I have is not registered the school needs to verify my address thus a certified copy from the County Clerks Office.

Anyway... thanks  DREW for the incites on my problem. I have emailed the title company and called them by phone and I havent got a reply. Will be seeking another possiblity on how to get this done.

• 08-16-2012 8:21 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,519

Around me you can use a park bench as an address for school --my guess is anything that looks "offical" will get you son in school.

Correct--if the lender fails to get his loan recorded , lender could be in trouble --your focus is on the deed --call somebody and drive over for a face to face of where is it --are you billed for recording as part of the fees paid--why has it not been recorded--if necessary get the fees reversed out to you and you drive it over and record it--the recorder of deeds probably wants cash not personal check to confirm in advance how much to pay and take it with you--should be darn close to amount you paid to title firm less perhaps some courier or mail change .

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community