Ex- Husband virbally abuses me

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 12-21-2012 6:56 AM by calgaryimmigration. 9 replies.
  • 08-29-2012 11:24 PM

Ex- Husband virbally abuses me

I often try to calmy talk to my ex-husband when need be (such as if I ask him if I can take 100 dollars out of our bank account), but he all of a sudden gets mad and he has called me names, like greedy. He has even called my adult daugther names. What kind of charges, if any, can I put on?

• 08-30-2012 6:13 AM In reply to

Re: Ex- Husband virbally abuses me

Why is there an ongoing relationship with your ex husband ( which would mean you are divorced and all property issues resolved), asking for money from someone you are divorced from ( which if you still have a joint accoubnt for some reason you wouldn't need his permission to take money) or having any type of interaction with him, especially since it is negative.

• 08-30-2012 8:38 AM In reply to

He has stated that if I need money from him, that I HAVE to ask him, which I don't know why since I me mentioned we have joint account. I often don't ask him since I think I should be able to withdraw cash when need be. And when I do, he gets mad because I didn't ask him. 

• 08-30-2012 8:41 AM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-09-2000
    • NV
    • Posts 5,203

Since you are divorced why do you have a joint account?

• 08-30-2012 11:09 AM In reply to

In the divorce he said that the bank account would remain the same (under both of our names.)

• 08-30-2012 11:35 AM In reply to

Starr2005:

In the divorce he said that the bank account would remain the same (under both of our names.)

What do you mean "in the divorce"? In the decree or did he just tell you that?

Anyway, doesn't matter.

I suggested in another post that you close it out and send him his half.

Even if you do that and not comply with the decree he still gets his half and isn't damaged.

Why are you still being a doormat?

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 08-30-2012 11:57 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,518

Unless the divorce order says otherwise--you don't need to ask his permission or even talk with him to access a joint account.  

And at a practical level for parites is dispute it makes no sense to maintan a joint account with more than $1.00 in it, if than much. .

• 08-30-2012 12:03 PM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2001
    • TX
    • Posts 7,553

Starr2005:
    What kind of charges, if any, can I put on

None.  Here is what you have to realize.  You are no longer married to this man.  You do not need to talk to him or ask his permission to do anything.  If you truly still have a joint bank account, stop putting money in it and get your own.  If there are mutual finds in a joint account, take yours and open a new seperate account.  Do not listen to anything that he has to say, ignore him.  Name calling will not kill you, so ignore it.

If he is trying to control you, ignore him.  Your divorce was finalized so you are not married.  Don't worry about having the marriage annulled unless you are planning on getting remarried in the church.  If he wants to get remarried in the church, let him worry about it.

Simple.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

• 08-31-2012 3:02 PM In reply to

• CJ
      Consumer
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-02-1999
    • CA
    • Posts 1,667

I agree with everyone else, you need to take your portion of that account out and open an account in only your name. Then I would close or remove your name from the "joint" account.  There is absolutly no reason to keep financial ties to your X. 

What is the money in this account used for and who adds money to it? It's just very strainge to have this kind of situation.  It also allows him to in some way keep control over you which is not okay.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community