Football Booster Organization

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 07-09-2013 2:55 AM by crissymiller. 9 replies.
  • 09-18-2012 10:24 AM

Football Booster Organization

Not sure what forum to use for this question but here goes:

I am part of our public schools (PA) Parent Football Booster Organization.  The school district is telling us we are required to submit our financial records to them.  Are there laws concerning this?  We are not part of the school district and are not allowed to even use their name in our organization....We are simply a parent group who raises money to help the football team with a lot of extra expenses.  We work with the coach and try to meet his requests and needs.  Thank You..

• 09-18-2012 10:35 AM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2001
    • TX
    • Posts 7,391

Re: Football Booster Organization

sandy1967:
    The school district is telling us we are required to submit our financial records to them.

Question:  Is this the first year of this organization's existence?  If not, what have they done in the past?  If so, ask the school district why they need this information and if they say that it's the "law", ask them to provide you with the statute for review.  Is there any reason why you would NOT want to provide the records?

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

• 09-18-2012 10:47 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 48,974

This is a sticking point with many a booster group around me in PA. and I fully understand that a booster group may want to stay outside of Board umbrella and sticky fingers---Locally the debates over which booster club gets to run the food concessions at ball games sometimes takes longer than a discussion about a $ 20 million construction project.

If you want to be under the school umbrella as an official sanctioned booster group you probably need to play be school board rules. Locally to be sanctioned has the added benefit of putting you under the Boards liability coverage

If you operate outside the school umbrella you are free to suggest that school board go pound sand. The coach might be instructed by his superiors to break off contact with you.

In terms of fund raising unless you have independent 501c3 status you might want to reconsider operating under the Board sanctions.

Locally we have one major booster group that operates inside the  Board umbrella and does not have 501c3 status  on its own--and egually large one has its own 501c3 letters and PA state registration and somehow manages to have its feet both in and out.

A significant local fund raiser probably needs registration with PA Charities Bureau if not under Board umbrella

From a donor standpoint it may be easier to induce donations if its to a proper exempt group --the tax deductibility is safer and it might be easier for hard booster workers to address personal deductible expenses if its to a valid exempt entity.

But I do understand not wanting everybody else to get into your financial pants. 

Don't laugh --I can see times comming where its the boosters group task to provide after school academic assistance for varsity athletes so as to maintain eligibility and the school will pick which kids need help --we've been close --and only certain minorities need apply----and if the boosters are more active to support traditionally boys sports and traditionally girls sports falter due to lack of outside support --be careful --not politically correct!

• 09-18-2012 10:55 AM In reply to

Thanks for your quick response...This organization has been around for many many years with no previous requirements of this info.  I am in the process of asking them to let me know what law it is and let me read it....The schools have cut funding for many many things recently.  For instance the school would launder the players' uniforms...this year they asked us if we could cover that cost which we are doing...it is appx $1000 for the year.  We are purchasing equipment that they want, etc etc.  We are thinking that they just want to know our financial records so they can ask for much more.  We are there to benefit the kids...not have the school tell us what to purchase for THEM.   If it is the law there is no problem providing it....I am just interested to find out if it is really a law.  In one sentence they say require in another they say request....just seems suspicious....Thanks

• 09-18-2012 10:57 AM In reply to

sandy1967:
    We are simply a parent group who raises money to help the football team with a lot of extra expenses

Exactly how do you raise that money?

If you rely on school support to be able to raise money, then you likely have to dance to the school's tune.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 09-18-2012 11:23 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 48,974

Not exactly --he who raises the money gets to call the tunes

As far as I know there is nothing in school law or school code on point this is strictly a matter of local Board policy.

Its grassroots politics 101 . (Locally we have tighten up a lot to require basic financial accounting from recognized booster groups )  A few too many booster groups with "missing" funds can quickly turn the tide --and if booster groups are engaged in food sales at games --that's  big liability exposure is there is a  contaminated pot of  sauerkraut --and like it or not --the school cannot escape "involvement."

There may be significant advantages to being a recognized group under the Boards liability insurance AND sovereign immunity status in PA  and exempt status .

There are significant disadvantages to having other people in your financial pockets and/or 'advising" you as to which projects need to be addressed.

The point is to benefit the students --so somewhere there needs to be a working compromise.

I personally have hang ups about transferring school responsibilities to select booster groups. --and good intentions going astray  .  Typically boys varsity sports such as football or wrestling are pretty good at booster fund raising --should we drop hockey (typically a lot of girls) because they don't get equivalent booster support?  Or should we underwrite money looser sports ...and the "Black Student Athletic Association" does or does not have a proper place (Officially it has a different name but you get the point.) .

• 09-18-2012 11:25 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 48,974

Yes, technically football and wrestling are co ed sports --

• 09-18-2012 3:36 PM In reply to

sandy1967:
    The school district is telling us we are required to submit our financial records to them.

How were you told this?  By letter written by "Bob Jones"?  By a phone call from "Susan Smith"?  If I were in your position, my natural reaction would be to write back to or call Mr. Jones or to have said to Ms. Smith, "We are?  Could you please cite for me the provision of Pennsylvania state law or other authority that requires us to do this?"

By doing this, you'll either get a citation to some authority that you can read for yourself or you'll get some sort of explanation that you can evaluate or you'll get some sort of BS story.

• 09-18-2012 11:25 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 48,974

The PA School Code of 1949  (Law not Code , very confusing) Sec 511 provides rather broad authority for local school boards to regulate the activities of affiliated or booster groups  including but not limited to financial controls .

My local Board has adopted specific local policy on point as well  --rather common as most PA public schools run to similar drumbeats from PSBA

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community