The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

New NYS Repeat DWI Offender Regulations Questions

Latest post Thu, Nov 20 2014 11:49 AM by holiday 147. 1,000 replies.
  • Thu, Oct 9 2014 2:56 PM In reply to

Re: New NYS Repeat DWI Offender Regulations Questions

By The way what is the "Conditional Discharge"?......i have that on mine after 3 years?

• Fri, Oct 10 2014 7:40 AM In reply to

I have not personally tried, however have a friend who is checking into Tennessee, I'm considering Georgia, they are both not part of the DMV interstate compact. It seems like with this new development some attorney out there would want to take this on with us.  Each and every person in this state who has ever had a dwi or DUI needs to vote coumo and his entourage out

• Fri, Oct 10 2014 8:01 AM In reply to

Tony Fiala did not get away with anything, the NewYork Times reported he recieved, a 6 month revoke which is standard, plus the usual interlock becuase he has cars registered in his name. He also recived a misdeamnor, becuase im sure he had a prior DWAI within 10 years.If he didn't have a prior that would have been pleaded down to a DWAI, becuase he didn't blow there's no evidence of his BAC. Now he goes to the DMV, which will revoke his license for 1 year becuase he didn't blow and he pleaded guilty to DWI. Now he faces the "Look back " like the rest of us and if he had one more.............?????? guess what tony and Mom, now they will feel the draconian regulations that she installed. GOOD!!!!!

• Fri, Oct 10 2014 10:04 AM In reply to

That is agreeable seeing the law was applied to him as well..  Her's an article of someone's opinion for our state's despot and I agree with the views expressed:  

ANDREW CUOMO IS A VERY FLAWED CONCEPT, CONT'D
    By Charles P. Pierce on October 7, 2014

There is no more horrible Democratic politician than Andrew Cuomo, the governor of New York. I can almost abide people like Mary Landrieu or Joe Manchin, because I know they're (slightly) better than any alternative that might be presented by the other side and, what the ***heck, it's Louisiana and West Virginia. But there is no excuse for Cuomo, who has as close to a sinecure as does any other Democratic politician in the country, and the cynical, nasty, and high-handed way he conducts himself in office. I am not saying this just because the N.Y. state ethics people got on his ass last summer. This managerial style got another workout when it was revealed that Cuomo, a big fan of fracking for natural gas, and his people connived to barber and to bury a report on the impact fracking would have on the state's drinking water, and on the impact the technology would have in general.

A comparison of the original draft of the study on naturally occurring methane in water wells across the gas-rich Southern Tier with the final version of the report, which came out after extensive communications between the federal agency and Cuomo administration officials, reveals that some of the authors' original descriptions of environmental and health risks associated with fracking were played down or removed. The final version of the report also excised a reference to risks associated with gas pipelines and underground storage-a reference which could have complicated the Cuomo administration's potential support for a number of other controversial energy projects, including a proposed gas storage facility in the Finger Lakes region that local wine makers say could destroy their burgeoning industry.
    For a number of personal reasons, I've grown quite fond of both the Finger Lakes region, and of what is called the Southern Tier, which is the proposed Ground Zero for fracking in New York. Luckily, though, Cuomo has sought to allay my concerns by the magic of smoke and mirrors.

Cuomo had been inconvenienced by the fracking issue from early on in his administration, and it has continued to come up as he runs for re-election-first during the Democratic primary, when his opponent Zephyr Teachout assailed him for not banning the practice, and now as his Republican challenger Rob Astorino calls for the lifting of the state's ostensibly temporary moratorium. But Cuomo has muted any truly serious backlash from either side in the fracking debate by effectively taking and maintaining a non-position: He's holding off as he waits for unspecified studies, with unspecified timelines, on the potential health impacts. In the meantime, a moratorium remains in place that could theoretically be lifted at anytime. Cuomo has indicated only that nothing will change before Election Day.
    Since his people have already meddled with the report and, in all cases, the meddling has been in favor of mitigating the environmental threat of the practice, it's not hard to guess which way Cuomo is leaning on all these issues.

Seth Gladstone, spokesman for Food and Water Watch says the organization, which opposes fracking, is "deeply alarmed by the fact that the Cuomo Administration has apparently manipulated a federal study on fracking safety." On fracking, Gladstone says, "Governor Cuomo has consistently said that he would 'let the science decide.' That his administration would apparently meddle in a federal study on the science sort of completely discredits that stated position from him."
    There is a very unpleasant arrogance about this man. It would be authentically perilous to advance him into any position of greater power.(End Article)

The unpleasant arrogance is exactly what this man has diplayed back on 9-25-2012 when he enacted his 'Emergency Regulation' which took legal retroactivity to a new low by executive order..  The fact that the original law's architect Jim tedesco stated many times the law would be prospective from enactment assures me it was Cuomo that forgot to add that to the regulation.  I'm getting ready to cast my vote to boot him out and hope enough New Yorkers join me in my quest to unseat this over-zealous despot.  

Don't Judge me by my past-  I don't live there anymore!

• Fri, Oct 10 2014 6:31 PM In reply to

• TomCruz
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Mar 31 2014
    • NY
    • Posts 16

This Fiala story is hilarious. Sounds like he did get away with a hit and run, a felony. Leaving the scene of an accident?!? Leaving an injuried person as well ?!? What a disgrace this politician is. They are supposed to be held to a higher standard. He should have been punished harder. He should be in jail right now! Un-f**king-believe! Albany sucks !!! Some of these politicians are real jerkoffs.

Hey Mr Govenor you wanna make an example of someone? Here ya go. Hang him and fire his mother. I lost all faith in Albany. 

One of the committees he is on is in charge of a STOP DWI program according to one article.

His mother is in charge of DMV! What next ?!? 

• Sat, Oct 11 2014 5:48 AM In reply to

TomCruz:

This Fiala story is hilarious. Sounds like he did get away with a hit and run, a felony. Leaving the scene of an accident?!? Leaving an injuried person as well ?!? What a disgrace this politician is. They are supposed to be held to a higher standard. He should have been punished harder. He should be in jail right now! Un-f**king-believe! Albany sucks !!! Some of these politicians are real jerkoffs.

Hey Mr Govenor you wanna make an example of someone? Here ya go. Hang him and fire his mother. I lost all faith in Albany. 

One of the committees he is on is in charge of a STOP DWI program according to one article.

Do as I say and not as I do!

How many times have you seen a cop or official vehicle blasting down the road without any lights or sirens going?  The system we have has created a slew of hypocrites (Not all of our officials are like this I agree) that are above the very laws they are charged with enforcing!  Cop on the cell phone while driving down the road?  I see it quite a bit..  Horseshyt!!

• Sat, Oct 11 2014 5:48 AM In reply to

TomCruz:

Do as I say and not as I do!

How many times have you seen a cop or official vehicle blasting down the road without any lights or sirens going?  The system we have has created a slew of hypocrites (Not all of our officials are like this I agree) that are above the very laws they are charged with enforcing!  Cop on the cell phone while driving down the road?  I see it quite a bit..  Horseshyt!!

• Sat, Oct 11 2014 11:35 AM In reply to

Give me strength,

A conditional discharge means that the disposition of the case is conditional on whatever conditions are imposed at sentencing for the specified time. In other words, in your case it sounds like you have to stay out of trouble for 3 yrs.

As for Tony Fiala, of course he got over. He only got a misdemeanor DWI. The fact that he hit someone while drunk and fled the scene was completely ignored. Since he refused he will have to go through a DMV refusal hearing independent of the criminal proceeding. If he looses, no license.

This is another NYS BS issue. So if someone hypothetically refuses out of principal, WINS the DWI case but loses the refusal hearing, no license and the Couomo reg will count that as an aldohol related incident.

In simple terms, if you are found not guilty or charges are dropped, you can still have an alcohol related infraction that the DMV will use against you.

• Sat, Oct 11 2014 12:20 PM In reply to

Do you honestly think, with Momma at the helm, the DMV will take his license???? I doubt it!!

• Mon, Oct 13 2014 6:30 AM In reply to

• tommyh
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 3 2013
    • NY
    • Posts 95

Hello,Just a friendly reminder that   1) register to vote

2) get all family and friends to vote

3)  you should all be on facebook slamming Cuomo,

There are some other politicians and pages on facebook that are really against Cuomo,,This is an effective  action we can take to get rid of this snake and possibly get our lives back in order.ALL OF US MUST DO IT !,  whining about our situation will do nothing. If anyone has questions or needs help with facebook email me and i will help you.    tom h

• Wed, Oct 15 2014 12:15 AM In reply to

Don't forget the Attorney General race. Eric Schneiderman has been Cuomo's lackey in covering up the whole Moreland investigation. Vote for John P. Cahill to take one of Cuomo's stooges out.

• Wed, Oct 15 2014 3:07 AM In reply to

Has anyone looked into moving to another country. I'm about done. I've been looking into other countries that I can move to and get citizenship in. A lot of countries have barriers just for a visitor visa if you've had repeat DUI's. Finding one that I can actually get citizenship in will be hard, especially looking for a significant English speaking population. There are good opportunities in South America. I'm not sure if I'm just too old to try learning a new language. I think Malaysia has a pretty large English speaking population. Whether they would accept me with my DUI history is another story. I know there has to be a country, with a low cost of living, that I can move to........and be able to collect my SS and pension. Maybe.....and it's a HUGE maybe....one of them would allow me to be a licensed driver, as a citizen some day. I have no hope in the US. I have no reason to stay here any more.

• Thu, Oct 16 2014 5:35 AM In reply to

Well, it seems Andy's new book isn't doing very well. It's going down in flames actually. Can't say I don't love it.

http://www.amazon.com/...

• Thu, Oct 16 2014 11:57 AM In reply to

• thehalf
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 24 2013
    • NY
    • Posts 72

@ S4L...NICE!

Thankx for the article, I will spat on both andies and barbies FB & Twitter accounts.

TheHalf™

Page 58 of 64 (949 items) « First ... < Previous 56 57 58 59 60 Next > ... Last » | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community