Discussion Topic: Perspectives of Violence and Aggression.

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 12-05-2012 3:17 PM by Miss Magoo. 24 replies.
  • 10-17-2012 6:25 PM

Agree [=|=] Discussion Topic: Perspectives of Violence and Aggression.

I have to do a term paper for this class, and just found out for sure what the topic is to be on and what is to be included in it. I just started the research process, and have a question that I hope someone can give feedback on. I went ahead and titled this thread after my class, that way all my questions will fit under this topic as they will all have to to with what I am finding for this one paper. :)

The topic title is "Violence Against Women of Color", and the general outline is that we (the students) are to identify the problems of violence, address them, and offer a viable solution. Our professor wants us to use national statistics, but to mainly focus on our county. I have a basic idea of what I want to focus on and a viable solution, but haven't become too solid on any one particular angle yet. 

Anyway, I am starting by looking at the options for women in this situation, and found that in my county, we have one center, and the crisis hotline. What I would like to know is what do these centers usually do when a woman calls? I plan on seeing if I can talk to the local center, but would like to have an idea of what happens so that I can formulate my questions accordingly, and be well prepped.

As this paper develops, I know I will have many more questions as my goal is to get virtually every perspective before drafting this paper. :)

Thank you in advance for any feedback. :) 

"Never assume anything and always verify everything." ~ Taxagent

• 10-17-2012 6:52 PM In reply to

Re: Discussion Topic: Perspectives of Violence and Aggression.

Miss Magoo:
    What I would like to know is what do these centers usually do when a woman calls? I plan on seeing if I can talk to the local center, but would like to have an idea of what happens so that I can formulate my questions accordingly, and be well prepped.

Of course I googled before responding but what I found was listings of organizations and the services provided. You've probably done that already.

I suspect that you're best method of determining what they do and how they do it would be to spend a day at one of the services observing what goes on.

Seems easy to find the "what" online but if you want the "how" I think you will have to go there and find out.

I don't think you need to "formulate" questions in advance because observation should be enough to show you what they do and how they do it and you aren't likely to need a lot of questions prepared in advance.

I suggest a personal visit to a facility and seek out the person in charge. I have a bit of a doubt that you'll get very far on the phone due to confidentiality issues and it's easier for somebody to say no on the phone than it is to say no when you are already there and they have to face you.

I think including a "day in the life of a crisis center" would add life to your paper and demonstrate initiative that others might not.

Make sure you have your student ID with you.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 10-19-2012 9:10 PM In reply to

• cbg
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-21-2000
    • MA
    • Posts 6,778

I have a friend who used to be (and maybe still is - I'm not certain) on the board of directors for a shelter for women who are in abusive relationships. I'm not sure if that would be of any value to you given the direction of your paper, but if it would be, just let me know and I'll see if she would be willing to talk with you by email.

• 10-22-2012 1:07 PM In reply to

Thank you for the suggestion Jack, I spoke with my professor about it, and he is has some contacts who have experience in this area, so hopefully I will be able to glean lots of information from them. I have an idea for a potential solution, but I am running up against a solid brick wall, and am determined to find a way over it, under it, around it, or maybe find a door to go through. :)

cbg:
    I have a friend who used to be (and maybe still is - I'm not certain) on the board of directors for a shelter for women who are in abusive relationships. I'm not sure if that would be of any value to you given the direction of your paper, but if it would be, just let me know and I'll see if she would be willing to talk with you by email.
    I would be very interested in talking with her, as I am focusing on that area in particular for identifying the abuse, addressing it, and offering a viable solution. :)

Thank you both for the help/info!!! :D

• 10-23-2012 1:42 PM In reply to

I came across a blog on this site that mentioned a law that California was/is considering for victims of Domestic Violence, does anyone know where that is in the legislation, and if I can find it to read for myself? It is called "Kathy's Law".

Okay, now I am off to do more research. :)

• 10-23-2012 2:07 PM In reply to

Miss Magoo:
    It is called "Kathy's Law".

The bill known as "Kathy's Law", AB 2467, passed the California legislature and Governor Brown signed the bill last month, making it law. It takes effect in January. The link I included will take you to the text of the final bill.

• 10-23-2012 2:18 PM In reply to

Miss Magoo:
    I came across a blog on this site that mentioned a law that California was/is considering for victims of Domestic Violence, does anyone know where that is in the legislation, and if I can find it to read for myself? It is called "Kathy's Law".

I just read it at the link Taxagent posted.

Looks like a "feel good" law designed to make political hay.

To much "may do this", "may do that", "with the consent of", "with the concurrence of."

There are too many options for not doing and nothing in there making anything mandatory.

It's unfortunate, but I think that abuser's will continue to kill the abused in spite of that law.

• to keep and bear arms,
  • 10-23-2012 7:59 PM In reply to

adjuster jack:

Then I submit you missed what the law does. It gives courts more power and flexibility to deal with domestic violence situations and put more teeth into the orders that the court issues. Of course the law isn't written in exclusively mandatory terms — not every case is alike and courts need the ability to enter orders that are appropriate for the case before them. It is not simply a cosmestic or "feel good" law.

adjuster jack:
    It's unfortunate, but I think that abuser's will continue to kill the abused in spite of that law.

No, this law won't end abuse. But it may prevent some harm that would otherwise have occurred. 

• 10-23-2012 8:12 PM In reply to

Taxagent:

adjuster jack:

Then I submit you missed what the law does

Nope, didn't miss it.

Taxagent:
    It gives courts more power and flexibility to deal with domestic violence situations and put more teeth into the orders that the court issues. Of course the law isn't written in exclusively mandatory terms — not every case is alike and courts need the ability to enter orders that are appropriate for the case before them. It is not simply a cosmestic or "feel good" law.

Call me skeptic, but I'll wait and see how many abusers end up getting electronically monitored, especially since they have to pay for their own monitoring.

• to keep and bear arms,
  • 10-23-2012 8:18 PM In reply to

• cbg
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-21-2000
    • MA
    • Posts 6,778

Just to let Miss Magoo know that I'm still waiting to hear back from my friend but I'll let you know off line as soon as I do.

• 10-23-2012 9:33 PM In reply to

adjuster jack:
    Call me skeptic, but I'll wait and see how many abusers end up getting electronically monitored, especially since they have to pay for their own monitoring.

Actually, the fact that the public doesn't pay for it would make it more likely the court would order it, not lot less. And, I'd rather not have tax dollars paying for it — do you want to pony up to pay for it?

• 10-23-2012 9:42 PM In reply to

Taxagent:

adjuster jack:

Actually, the fact that the public doesn't pay for it would make it more likely the court would order it, not lot less. And, I'd rather not have tax dollars paying for it — do you want to pony up to pay for it?

No. But how do you get a low life to pony up for it?

• to keep and bear arms,
  • 10-23-2012 11:21 PM In reply to

adjuster jack:
    No. But how do you get a low life to pony up for it?

Would the low-life prefer sitting in jail? If not, he'll pay for it.

• 10-24-2012 5:31 PM In reply to

Thank you so very much for the link Taxagent!! I have it all printed out and ready to read/highlight. :D

Even though I am painfully aware of the fact that this law won't stop what is going on it society, my goal is to look at a few different states, and see how they are trying to stop what is going on, and reading this piece of legislation will give me a good idea of what CA is doing.  Basically, I am wanting to compare what other states are doing against what OR is doing, and more specifically, against what my own county is doing to stop this. Sadly, like many other things in life, we are always reactive, but never able to become proactive. 

As for myself, I will be happy to draft a good research paper that my professor likes, and walk out of this term with one shred of sanity/emotions. Some of the stuff I am hearing is enough to make me shiver like it is below zero in the classroom...

I almost forgot to ask: How would I go about finding out what and where Oregon's laws are in regards to addressing domestic violence and penalties for the offenders?

Thank you so much Jack, Taxagent, and cbg for all of your help/feedback!!!

• 10-24-2012 5:51 PM In reply to

Miss Magoo:
    How would I go about finding out what and where Oregon's laws are in regards to addressing domestic violence and penalties for the offenders?

Start with Oregon's Title 16 - Crimes and Punishments:

http://landru.leg.state.or.us/ors/161.html

Then polish up your Google Fu for individual crimes and topics by state.

• to keep and bear arms,
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community