Kind folks, need your help again..., suggest take a coffee before you read thru this :)
Did not expect this to get nasty at all but it has...
With discussions with the family of the deceased after our second meet Oct 25th:
- The tenant's mother send us a Request to terminate lease and apply last months rent towards the November rent. We had verbally agreed to that and that based on that we will draw up a Early Lease Termination Agreement which both parties will need to sign and accept.
- In Response to the above email request, we replied that we will get the Termination agreement drawn by that weekend (2-3 days) after. We downloaded the legal CA document from Legalzoom paid service and customized the document as to the terms under which we accept their request. Pretty much standard stuff, recital, compliance, liability, security deposit refund minus reletting cost incl marketing cost, etc. and using 1-2 days of our personal and precious time. It was sent to them on Oct 28th with Nov3rd deadline to sign and return or Pay Rent and till date they have been evading it.
- They were also supposed to provide us an Executor / Administrator document last week but they have not provided so citing small estate. So far we have not recd. any legal or court document which tells me that they are legal administrator or executor.
- We also kept emailing them for the signed termination agreement letting them know we have a eager qualified Tenant who is ready to move in immediately. And we had to tell them No or wait till we get this termination agreement so we can relet.
- End of the last week, we recv. an email from some Estate Lawyer (Mr. Edgar, are you listening) claiming he is an Executor / Administrator of the Trust. "We represent the mother...of the deceased..." and this email gives you authority to release. And to send to him all Lease related documents.How can we do that w/o a letter from Mother appointing him as Executor as the application and lease documents contains tenant confidential information. So we respectfully ask him for that a few times and he keeps ignoring that like a Bad Robot and keeps asking us for Tenant lease information.
- It is getting so annoying and frustrating and feels like Harrasment at this point. Over the weekend we told him that we will not entertain any future correspondance from his office till we see his appointment as Executor.
_ Also on the weekend we emailed the Mother "Notice to Pay Rent or Quit" giving them 3 days (till the 7th) to pay November Rent or sign and return the Lease Termination Agreement. We also mailed via Priority Mail the original today to her address.
- Guess what, today, we recd. another "Bad Robot" email asking us to Refund the last month rent and Security Deposit and they are only liable for Rent till Nov 2nd and that we did not re-let them the premise and warning us that they will pursue legal course if needed.
WTF in the world is happening !?
Only thing I guess we feel we might be dinged for is the extra deposit which the Tenant offered and we accepted. Tenant was low 600, high 500 score, single, but wanted to live in our nice house, no job but a veteran on disability with a decent savings/CD account. Terms of the lease before we met him were first month and 2 mos security deposit. Since we were not sure about his application but considering he served our Nation, we talked to him about an extra last month rent as well. But my wife learned that we cannot legally accept that extra month rent so we talked to the Tenant and said we cannot go forward with his Appl as we do not have enough security. At this point, he was so desperate and excited about this house, he offered us 6 mos rent in Advance which we said No but accepted an extra last month's rent and he gave it to us in writing that he is offering the last month's rent on his own will. And signed and dated it and we took that. Will that signed document from the Tenant hold in a court of law if we explain the above.
Anyway, at this point, we are trying to search for some legal representation and serve them a legal threatening Notice to stop the harrassment and return the signed document. We have every intenetion of returning every dime owed but if it gets prolonged and nasty we will have to rethink that.
We also want to possibly ding them legally that the family entered the tenant's premise and emptied everything incl all 3rd party stuff w/o a court or lawful document w/o notifying the landlord or w/o our consent. Cheapos, did not leave any tissue rolls behind (in any of the 3 toilets) and we felt so bad when a prospect's kid had to use the toilet and we were not aware. And were arguing with us about an extra water hose in the backyard. Which grieving mother cares about a $5 hose and small oil stains in garage when your 31 year old son has barely passed away.
This has taken my peace and sleep away, so much of our precious time lost, we missed a few of my kids games, delayed her Science project due last week. Our 6 mos being a landlord and we are already regretting it. Why is that Landlords have no so little rights...?
FYI, we have not signed anything with the family or Bad Robot. They have not returned all the keys, garage access and we still have the Move-in and Move-out as they had requested Garage access to store their uhaul pod. They have not officially informed us to turn the garrage access off or anything about the missing key.
- Any suggestions welcome. If you are a licensed lawyer in and around Corona, CA (92881) and willing to represent us "aggressively", please contact me at jdrnb007-7 @ yahoo. We are so fkin tired that I do not mind lossing my own money to remind them that they are seriously at fault here.
Second, if I continue to do this on our own, if the premise is in Riverside County, Bad Robot is from LA area and family is in Idhaho, will the responsible court for the hearing always be in Riverside county / Corona !?