Green Card

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Sun, Dec 23 2012 7:19 PM by ClydesMom. 7 replies.
  • Thu, Oct 25 2012 2:06 PM

• marklyn1983
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 25 2012
    • CA
    • Posts 3

Green Card

I have a green card sponsored by my employer. If I get fired or resign from them do they have the right to revoke my green card and send me back to my home country? Thanks

• Thu, Oct 25 2012 2:21 PM In reply to

Re: Green Card

Once you have acquired permanent residency status, that doesn't mean job separation (or, say, divorce) will have any material effect on it.  (It may change timeline on when you can go for citizenship, but ...)

I suggest that you confer with a local immigration attorney vs. approaching this online via  message board.

• Wed, Dec 19 2012 2:37 PM In reply to

Chancey1:
    Once you have acquired permanent residency status, that doesn't mean job separation (or, say, divorce) will have any material effect on it.

In this case it very well might.  When the employer is the sponsor of the green card and the employee is terminated the employer can and usually does withdraw sponsorship of the green card.  At that time the employee can apply for their own or seek a different kind of visa but failure to do so would trigger deportation status. 

Markylynn19831:
    If I get fired or resign from them do they have the right to revoke my green card and send me back to my home country?

Sponsoring a green card for employment is VERY expensive which is why employers that terminate employees or the employee resigns, end the sponsorship.  While the employer cannot revoke the card (only INS can do that) they can withdraw sponsorship which would no longer make you eligible and you would need another sponsor or path to stay legally.

You should consult an immigration attorney ASAP to find out how your termination will affect your green card status.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Sun, Dec 23 2012 9:53 AM In reply to

Absolutely not. When you are a resident you are a resident. The employer cannot take it away. Assuming it was not obtained by fraud neither can the USCIS unless you do something later (e.g. commit a deportable offense) that renders you removable. 

This answer does not form an attorney-client relationship nor does it replace a personal consultation with an immigration attorney. 

• Sun, Dec 23 2012 5:47 PM In reply to

• marklyn1983
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 25 2012
    • CA
    • Posts 3

thank you so much for your answer now i can have peace of mind. we processed our own papers and paid personally from our own pockets the employer didnt do or spend anything aside from giving us a job order for the immigration. so i dont think they can just revoke the green card at will. right?

• Sun, Dec 23 2012 7:19 PM In reply to

marklyn1983:
    so i dont think they can just revoke the green card at will. right?

Not at will but it is really best that you discuss the specifics of your situation with an immigration attorney who can review all your documents and status to determine what risks you have.  Site rules prohibit specific advice.  Consult local counsel.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community