difference between federal postal retirement and OWCP

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 11-07-2012 11:01 AM by Kivi. 4 replies.
  • 11-04-2012 1:33 PM

difference between federal postal retirement and OWCP

I am confussed: I understand if I get retirement for a workmans comp case: then I pay no taxes: going through OPM for postal disability I pay taxes. So besides this, if this is correct: what is the difference?

Plus I was told that I could go out through workmans comp for what I was just dignosed for: deep depression and dementia>

Plus to put the icing on the cake: I have a lot of debt: can I file for bankrupcy during this time?

• 11-04-2012 1:47 PM In reply to

• Kivi
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-01-2005
    • CA
    • Posts 6,149

Re: difference between federal postal retirement and OWCP

I suggest that you read the article that the board moderator has posted at this forum to get an understanding of the differences in the two benefits.

"I was told" must be the most dangerous words that we read here. Who told you this? What was the basis for that opinion? Was that person a doctor licensed to practice in your state? Was that person an attorney who regularly does OWCP cases and knows what is needed in the medical report. In short, what expertise does this person have in this area?

If not, don't count on getting OWCP to approve your case for those conditions.

• 11-05-2012 6:35 AM In reply to

Re: Reply: difference between federal retirement and OWCP

OWCP is ultimately not a retirement system; it is a system of compensation to return people back to work.  OPM is taxable, OWCP is not; their statutorily-set rates of payment are quite different; filing for bankruptcy is a separate issue.  Whether you will qualify for OWCP will depend upon your proving a number of issues, including causality to the workplace.

Sincerely, Robert R. McGill, Esquire

• 11-05-2012 4:10 PM In reply to

Hi,

thank you for your information,

I am new to this and I wanted to read what the board moderator said, but could not find it. would you mind guiding me to where it is.

thank you

• 11-07-2012 11:01 AM In reply to

• Kivi
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-01-2005
    • CA
    • Posts 6,149

http://community.lawyers.com/forums/53.aspx

Then click on the article.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS