Tax records differ from my physical address

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 11-06-2012 1:32 PM by adjuster jack. 6 replies.
  • 11-06-2012 8:49 AM

• Karluk
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-06-2012
    • Posts 3

Tax records differ from my physical address

Hi

I am a Uk citizen who purchased a vacation condo in 2004. I recently noticed I had different addresses on my real estate taxes (but not tangible taxes) than the actual physical address of my property.

The title company I used has gone out of business and I have contacted the realtors but they havent gotten back to me.

How can I sort this out?

• 11-06-2012 9:06 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,510

Re: Tax records differ from my physical address

What state/county/city --details may matter  --but were I in your shoes I'd contact the county tax office in writing and make sure my property identification was properly listed for my property --what you don't want is for your correct property to turn up as tax delinquent and for it to go to a tax sale all the while you are in the dark . A lot easier to fix before something  turns rotten --it may not be a big problem at all --it might even be correct --but you'll sleep better knowin that  if your unit is # 4 on 4th floor that the taxes are bing paid on same and not for some dude in unit # 2.

Caution--some states like FL impose higher taxes or more aggressive assessments on "snowbirds" and other non full time residents.--don't open up wrong cans of worms.  .

• 11-06-2012 9:10 AM In reply to

Karluk:
    I am a Uk citizen who purchased a vacation condo in 2004

In the US?

Karluk:
    I recently noticed I had different addresses on my real estate taxes (but not tangible taxes) than the actual physical address of my property.

Do you have your deed? Does it show the correct legal description and site location? Does the deed info correspond to the info on your title insurance policy?

What's the difference between the address on your taxes and the actual address of the property?

Karluk:
    I have contacted the realtors but they havent gotten back to me.

They won't, nor will they do anything for you if they did get back to you. They've been paid.

Karluk:
    The title company I used has gone out of business

How about the company that wrote the title policy? Could be a different company that handled the escrow. If it's the same company then the policy may have been reassigned to another title insurance company by the state insurance department.

Karluk:

How can I sort this out?

Start by answering all of the above questions and provide the state, city, and county where the property is located.

I might be able to figure out what to fix and how.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 11-06-2012 10:25 AM In reply to

Karluk:
    How can I sort this out?

That depends on where the subject property is located and what you mean be "different addresses." Different addresses where? The mailing address for the bill? The address on the property tax bill indicating the location of the property that is being taxed? Something else?

Best place to start typically would be the property tax assessor's office and ask them about the difference. They may be able to explain that to you and resolve it in just a few minutes.

• 11-06-2012 12:31 PM In reply to

• Karluk
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-06-2012
    • Posts 3

Thank Jack

I will hopefully give you the information you need to point me in the right direction

Kissimmee, Osceola County, Fl

The warranty deed gives the name/address of the grantor and then names me as the grantee with the address of the property I purchased and have the keys to etc, it then gives a legal description and parcel iD number.

This parcel and ID number when researched relate to the condo next door to mine

The tile insurance does not give my 'physical/postal address', it just refers to another place where the warranty deed is recorded, and then gives the same legal description as mentioned above.

Interestingly the Osceola tax records actually show the address as the one I have prior to 2008, then they change to the one next door, and they show 'my' condo as having the tax paid by my condo association.

I have always paid my property taxes and will pay this years as well , even though it shows as the 'wrong' address on the bill.

Any ideas????

• 11-06-2012 12:55 PM In reply to

• Karluk
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-06-2012
    • Posts 3

Oh forgot to mention the agent may have gone out of business but it was a First American title insurnace policy.

I have emailedc them just to ask who would handle any 'queries' I have without going into specifics

• 11-06-2012 1:32 PM In reply to

Karluk:

The warranty deed gives the name/address of the grantor and then names me as the grantee with the address of the property I purchased and have the keys to etc, it then gives a legal description and parcel iD number.

This parcel and ID number when researched relate to the condo next door to mine

The legal description is the important thing so I would start there and see if the legal description on your deed matches the legal description on the county records.

Start with the Osceola County Property Appraiser website search page but, instead of putting in your parcel number, put in the street address of your condo complex without your name and without the unit number:

http://ira.property-appraiser.org/PropertySearch/

That should bring up a list of all the units at that address.

Find the unit number that you live in and shift-click to open that parcel in a separate browser window so you can keep the list on the screen while you check the parcel information for that unit. The legal description is at the bottom of the page.

If your name is not attached to the unit number, go down the list till you find your name and shift-click on that parcel and compare the two sets of parcel information.

This next link is to recorded documents (deed and such). You can look up the current and previous deeds for you and your neighbor and compare the legal descriptions.

http://198.140.240.30/or_web1/or_sch_1.asp

You don't say whether it was the title insurance company (the one on the policy) or the escrow company that went out of business.

If it was just the escrow company or title agent that went out of business, you should still be able to reach the insurance company, the name of which you'll find on the policy booklet. You might have to wade through several pages of the agent/escrow company letterhead before you get to the policy

If you have to contact the insurance company and the address is not on the policy you can get contact information from FL's Department of Financial Services (that's what the insurance department is called):

http://www.myfloridacfo.com/

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community