Who is responsible for pick up when a parent moves?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 11-07-2012 10:40 AM by ca19lawyer2. 8 replies.
  • 11-07-2012 12:26 AM

• ZandEmom
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-07-2012
    • AZ
    • Posts 2

Who is responsible for pick up when a parent moves?

The Non custodial parent up and moved with no notice to a city forty five miles away. Once I found out we made a verbal agreement to meet half-way. He then decided that I should come farther since he has to drive to my neighborhood to pick her up from daycare. I said I wasn't going to do that, we had an agreement. He then said I could now pick our child up from his local police department. Which is almost a ninety mile round trip for me. Our current parenting plan states the person receiving the child is responsible for pickup but it was made when we lived six blocks away from each other.  Who is responsible when one decides to move how can I change this so I'm not out ninety miles every other day?   

• 11-07-2012 1:04 AM In reply to

Re: Who is responsible for pick up when a parent moves?

ZandEmom:
    Who is responsible when one decides to move

He moved away. He's responsible for his own travel.

If he wants to fight over it, let it go to court.

You shouldn't have to be inconvenienced for his convenience.

ZandEmom:
    how can I change this so I'm not out ninety miles every other day?   

Uh, just say no and don't let him manipulate you.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 11-07-2012 1:20 AM In reply to

• ZandEmom
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-07-2012
    • AZ
    • Posts 2

He's very intimidating.. How can I stand my ground when he takes her to the police station there & makes me come and get her there?? What do I file to change this? I don't want to file a compete parenting plan/ custody modification because he will railroad me and drag it out for a year like our divorce was??? Though he didn't get what he was fighting for!?! 

• 11-07-2012 6:15 AM In reply to

The current parenting plan stands until it is modified.  That each party picks up for their period of custody is the normal split of transportation- whether 6 blocks away or more than that.  whether a court finds that a 45 minute ride changes that- is up to your particular judge.

• 11-07-2012 7:32 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,151

The existing order is the order that counts --follow it!   A move of more than 100 miles probably requires some formal steps but his move was about 45<<100. If you think the change is significant especially as to the childs best interest then its sort of up to you to seek a modified order/plan.  No clue how local counts see a 45 mile change --get local legal input. .

• 11-07-2012 7:55 AM In reply to

The current order stands until someone files with the courts to change it.  You can file to modify visitation and ask the judge to change the pick up since he moved making him responsible for it.  Typically the one who moves is responsible for transportation but we don't know how your judge would view a 45 mile move.   You could ask that he solely have to do the transportation and costs, to meet halfway, or just let it go and follow the current order.

• 11-07-2012 10:37 AM In reply to

That your child's father moved has no impact whatsoever on the parenting plan (unless the parenting plan expressly provides for such an occurrence).  If you believe the parenting plan should be modified because of the changed circumstances, you will have to ask the court to do that.

• 11-07-2012 10:39 AM In reply to

adjuster jack:

ZandEmom:
    Who is responsible when one decides to move

He moved away. He's responsible for his own travel.

If he wants to fight over it, let it go to court.

You shouldn't have to be inconvenienced for his convenience.

ZandEmom:
    how can I change this so I'm not out ninety miles every other day?

Uh, just say no and don't let him manipulate you.

Sorry, but this is wrong and bad advice (advice which we shouldn't be dispensing).  The parenting plan does not automatically change because of a changed fact (unless it expressly says otherwise, and I have to assume the poster would have said so if that were the case).  If the poster "just say[s] no," then she's not going to get her kid back.

• 11-07-2012 10:40 AM In reply to

If you don't understand how to handle this without allowing your ex to manipulate the process, then you need to hire an attorney -- who will know the appropriate procedures -- to handle it for you.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community