Husband being forced to sign agreement

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 11-07-2012 11:03 PM by Cica. 8 replies.
  • 11-07-2012 1:09 PM

• lookylee
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-07-2012
    • UT
    • Posts 3

Husband being forced to sign agreement

Husband is a shift supervisor at work and came home last night super upset. A week ago husband corrected another employee about her job she got really mad at him and held a grudge. This week he told her to get over it. Yesterday he was called to a meeting to meet with his boss, the other employee's father called husbands boss and threatend to sue for harrassment and slander for something my husband said five years ago that has nothing to do with her or her family. All in all husband was forced to sign agreement that he cannot talk to her or he will be fired. Is that legal?

• 11-07-2012 1:31 PM In reply to

Re: Husband being forced to sign agreement

No one can "force" him to do anything (and I presume no one held a gun to his head).  Yes, it's legal.

It's very sad when a parent of a (presumed) adult worker gets involved, and even more sad that an employer wouldn't tell that parent to pound sand and stay out of it.  I'm afraid the employer is free to be stupid about what the law entails(how the employer wouldn't be the proper party to sue at any rate), and how telling someone to get over something doesn't count as harassment.  ... never mind that any action for slander against your husband wouldn't have a five-year statute of limitations even if your husband had slandered someone.

• 11-07-2012 1:35 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 48,948

Old line manager---Management is free to put any version of ice water on the situation it sees fit --need not be fair or logical.

They can direct hubby to wear green socks --and fire him for disobedience if he shows up in  yellow socks  --and that will kill UC as well.

Steer clear of this woman --and if necessary find some other way to  sink her work performance from afar..but don't even say 'hi" on the way to lunch.  Boss is probably less than pleased to have some worker's father call in and may get rid of this trouble maker on his own --but hubby needs to stay way the heck out of it.

• 11-07-2012 5:11 PM In reply to

lookylee:
    the other employee's father called husbands boss and threatend to sue for harrassment and slander for something my husband said five years ago that has nothing to do with her or her family.

The employee's father?  Is the employee a minor?  Whom did he threaten to sue?

lookylee:
    husband was forced to sign agreement that he cannot talk to her or he will be fired.

"Forced" how?  And by whom?  I assume the answer to the second question is that your husband's boss did it, but what did he do?  Hold a gun to your husband's head?  Threaten your family in some way?

lookylee:
    Is that legal?

Depends on exactly what happened.  It also depends on whether your husband is a member of a labor union that has a collective bargaining agreement with the employer.

• 11-07-2012 5:17 PM In reply to

• lookylee
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-07-2012
    • UT
    • Posts 3

Hi. The employee is not a minor, he threatend to sue my husband and said would not hold back against company since "slander and harrassment" happend there.

Forced by boss saying, sign this or you will be fired.. Husband is not a membe rof union.

Thanks

• 11-07-2012 5:35 PM In reply to

Like I said, you can't do much about a stupid employer.  (Doesn't matter where the supposed slander or "harassment" (if, again, one can logically call "get over it" harassment, occurred.)  And a parent who isn't a conservator of the adult (let's say she's a disabled adult who needs a conservator) would have no standing to sue regardless.

"Forced by boss saying, sign this or you will be fired.."

That's still not a situation that calls for describing it as "forced"; whether the alternative was having a job or or not, your husband couldn't be "forced" to sign it.  (There's also the matter of fact that the employer needn't have had him sign anything; it could simply say "don't talk to her ever again or you'll be fired.")

• 11-07-2012 6:48 PM In reply to

Ok, so let's start with the premise that this other employee's father and your husband's boss are idiots.  The same is probably true for the other employee if she, as an adult, is having her father do stupid stuff like this.

Nevertheless, it would not have been illegal for your husband's employer to fire him based on the allegations by the other employee's father.  Consequently, there's nothing illegal about giving your husband the choice to sign what he signed or be fired.  I doubt that the prohibition to which your husband agreed is legally enforceable, but that's really neither here nor there.  It would obviously be in his best interests to steer clear of this other employee.

• 11-07-2012 6:54 PM In reply to

• lookylee
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-07-2012
    • UT
    • Posts 3

Thanks every one for the help. I do agree the boss and father are idiots. I knew that the father doesnt have a leg to stand on, just checking, My husband will steer clear of her, and hopefully all involved in the situation will grow up! Thanks again!

• 11-07-2012 11:03 PM In reply to

• Cica
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-23-2003
    • Posts 6,519

lookylee:
     Yesterday he was called to a meeting to meet with his boss, the other employee's father called husbands boss and threatend to sue for harrassment and slander for something my husband said five years ago that has nothing to do with her or her family.

Civil suit?  The SOL has expired; and if it wasn't directed to the one filing the claim, there's no suit anyway (unless I'm misreading your post).

It just might be that the employer is taking a simple (or nonsensical) precautionary measure against the other individual considering Daddy Dearest got involved (e.g. showing an attempt to pacify the employee in the event she's attempting to establish a prima facie case over ... something.).

It is legal.  And based upon what you've posted, I wouldn't worry about it.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community