Hit and run and uninsured motorist coverage?

Latest post 01-27-2014 1:19 AM by Taxagent. 10 replies.
  • 11-30-2012 12:08 PM

• Brianm517
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-30-2012
    • PA
    • Posts 5

Hit and run and uninsured motorist coverage?

My car was hit while it was parked out front of my apartment. No one claimed to see anything. I filed a police report and called my insurance company. They told me I wasn't covered and it would go against my collision and I would have to pay a deductable. Everything I've read so far says that my uninsured motorist coverage should cover this claim and it shouldn't be counted as an at fault accident against me? Any help would be great!

• 11-30-2012 12:39 PM In reply to

• Kivi
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-01-2005
    • CA
    • Posts 6,085

Re: Hit and run and uninsured motorist coverage?

What I read about this coverage suggests that hit and run property damage only accidents  are not covered under "uninsured motorist" coverage. That is the kind of accident that you described.

However, Adjuster Jack is our insurance expert. He should be along shortly.

I will also let him address the issue of whether this accident is "chargeable" to you for insurance purposes.

• 11-30-2012 1:08 PM In reply to

• Brianm517
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-30-2012
    • PA
    • Posts 5

Thank you!

• 11-30-2012 2:07 PM In reply to

• spidey2
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-18-2008
    • PA
    • Posts 56

I had this happen to me many years ago in Pennsylvania.  I was responsible for my deductible and my insurance company covered the rest of my loss.  It was not treated as an at-fault accident because I was not in my car. I did have full coverage auto insurance with uninsured and underinsured coverage. 

Do you have full coverage or just carry liability insurance on your auto?

• 11-30-2012 2:11 PM In reply to

• Brianm517
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-30-2012
    • PA
    • Posts 5

Only liability insurance. I have 2003 with 150,000 miles on it. Plus I haven't been in a car accident in 10 years.

• 11-30-2012 2:23 PM In reply to

Brianm517:
    Everything I've read so far says that my uninsured motorist coverage should cover this claim

Exactly where did you read that?

I'll bet you didn't read it in your policy.

The Uninsured Motorists Coverage covers injuries to you and your passengers if you are hit by an uninsured driver (or hit and run driver).

I repeat: injuries only.

Says so right there in your policy in the Uninsured Motorists Coverage section.

Since you don't have Collision Coverage you're on your own with regard to the damage to your car, especially if you can't find the driver that hit it.

If you had Collision Coverage, insurance companies generally do not surcharge for that kind of claim.

Lest somebody else bring this up, there is a coverage called Uninsured Motorists Property Damage but you would have had to have bought the coverage (if available in PA) in addition to the coverages already on your policy.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 11-30-2012 3:08 PM In reply to

• Brianm517
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-30-2012
    • PA
    • Posts 5

Thanks for you help
    Below is where I saw the information:

http://insurance.families.com/blog/hit-and-run-driver-crashed-into-parked-car

Uninsured motorist insurance is the coverage needed when the other driver has no liability coverage, or not enough liability insurance to cover the full costs of a loss. Each state sets the limits of coverage and the amount of insurance protection may be very different depending on the insurance laws of your state.

For the situation you face and the fact it was a hit-and-run driver the portion of your insurance policy that would cover is the Uninsured motorists insurance. This coverage may be optional in your state and if you choose not to purchase Uninsured motorist coverage then you would need to make a claim under the collision portion of your insurance. Claims made under the collision coverage are viewed as an at fault claim by your auto insurance. Sometimes you will be charged for a collision claim as if it was an at fault accident.

• 11-30-2012 3:29 PM In reply to

Brianm517:

Thanks for you help
    Below is where I saw the information:

http://insurance.families.com/blog/hit-and-run-driver-crashed-into-parked-car

Uninsured motorist insurance is the coverage needed when the other driver has no liability coverage, or not enough liability insurance to cover the full costs of a loss. Each state sets the limits of coverage and the amount of insurance protection may be very different depending on the insurance laws of your state.

For the situation you face and the fact it was a hit-and-run driver the portion of your insurance policy that would cover is the Uninsured motorists insurance. This coverage may be optional in your state and if you choose not to purchase Uninsured motorist coverage then you would need to make a claim under the collision portion of your insurance. Claims made under the collision coverage are viewed as an at fault claim by your auto insurance. Sometimes you will be charged for a collision claim as if it was an at fault accident.

She's wrong.

She either has no clue about the coverages contained in an auto insurance policy or she is mistakenly lumping Uninsured Motorists Property Damage Coverage in Uninsured Motorists Coverage without specifying the difference.

She describes herself as an insurance agent. Unfortunately, most insurance agents know how to sell a policy but often know very little about what's in one, other than perhaps the broad categories that they've read about in summaries.

Instead of relying on anybody's internet summary I suggest you read your own policy's Underinsured Motorists Coverage.

I'll give you a head start by quoting from my own policy:

• PART C - UNINSURED MOTORISTS COVERAGE
    • INSURING AGREEMENT
    • A. We will pay compensatory damages which an insured is legally entitled to recover from the owner or operator of an uninsured motor vehicle because of bodily injury:
    • 1. Sustained by an insured; and
    • 2. Caused by an accident.

Notice the emphasis on the words "bodily injury."

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 11-30-2012 4:09 PM In reply to

• Brianm517
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-30-2012
    • PA
    • Posts 5

Thanks for all your help.

• 01-27-2014 12:42 AM In reply to

• LAGuy21
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-26-2014
    • CA
    • Posts 3

Hi guys. Seems like I've found the right thread for my current car situation.

I live in Los Angeles. Multiple cars (3 to be exact including mine) got hit by a hit and run driver 8 days ago. Good thing no one is injured cause it's late at night around 3 am on an early Saturday morning.

All 3 cars were parked silently and lawfully in the curb (mine in the middle) until an assumed drunk driver smashed on the vehicle behind my car. The car behind me in turn hit may car from behind and my car hit the car in front of me. My car was sandwich in between sustaining damages on the back and front frames and ruined both front and back bumpers. Initial estimates was 4-5 grand in repairs.

I have State Farm and I only have liability but I do have uninsured motorist coverage. All 3 of us called the cops right away after the incident and filed a report right there and then. Cops said they haven't found the guy still to this very day and they won't likely will.

The car behind me was a total wreck but she has collision coverage. Insurance will just issue her a check for the value of her car. the Car in front of me sustain no major damage.

My Question is do I get compensated with the uninsured coverage that I have when it's a hit and run and the guy was never found? My insurance said we need to find the guy that did it and make sure he doesn't have insurance before They could cover me for the uninsured motorist claim. I've found a guy who could fix my car cheaply. I just wana know if I have a chance of getting compensated or reimbursed at least before I proceed with the repairs ths week.

Badly Need some info pls asap. Please help. Thanks you so much advance.

• 01-27-2014 1:19 AM In reply to

Duplicate post

LAGuy21:
    Badly Need some info pls asap. Please help. Thanks you so much advance.

You posted this question on a separate thread of your own, which is the better place for it than tagging it at the end of someone else's several year-old thread. I suggest anyone else wishing to reply to your post go to your fresh thread here:

http://community.lawyers.com/forums/t/132210.aspx

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community