Being sued for unpaid medical bill - stay in hospital...

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 12-09-2012 8:23 PM by Cica. 5 replies.
  • 12-08-2012 12:32 PM

• bazinga
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-08-2012
    • MI
    • Posts 1

Being sued for unpaid medical bill - stay in hospital...

I live in Michigan. I had a hospital stay at the 1st of this year. I had an unpaid balance for that stay that was not covered by my health insurance. Today, I was served a "Summons and Complaint" stating I was being sued. An "Answer" is being requested to the complaint being filed in 21 days. What are my options and more importantly what is my rights? Any help and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Signed very stressed!

• 12-08-2012 1:08 PM In reply to

Re: Being sued for unpaid medical bill - stay in hospital...

Sorry, but if you owe the money you owe the money.

As for options, you can see if the hospital will agree to a payment plan in exchange for dropping the lawsuit. But you'd better have a good chunk of it pay up front if you expect them to go along with it. Talking about paying is not paying and they've already gone throught the expense and effort of filing the lawsuit so they aren't going to back off that just for talk.

Or you can see if your state has benefits available for the indigent although if you have a job and medical insurance, you aren't likely to qualify for that.

The alternative is to file bankruptcy if you qualify.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 12-08-2012 3:13 PM In reply to

bazinga:
    I had an unpaid balance for that stay that was not covered by my health insurance.

Chances are excellent that in the past 11 months you have been sent a monthly statement saying you still owe the money.  Is there any reason why you never contacted the hospital to set up payment arrangements or pay something on the account?

bazinga:
    Today, I was served a "Summons and Complaint" stating I was being sued.

Unfortunately more and more medical facitilies are being forced to do this when patients refuse to pay their portion of their hospital bill.  Every facility I have ever worked for will make payment arrangements and take as little as $20 a month as long as the patient makes a good faith effort to pay the bill.  Ignore them and refuse to pay and that is when lawsuits happen.

bazinga:
    What are my options and more importantly what is my rights?

Your option is to pay the bill in full to have the suit dismissed.  You have the right to file an answer to the complaint and to have a hearing in court.  The bottom line though is you owe the money.  If you don't answer the summons and/or show up for the court hearing they will get a default judgement, interest, and legal fees if they sought them.  The interest will continue to accrue until the balance is paid off.  You also risk garnishments of wages and/or bank accounts.  

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• 12-08-2012 10:54 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,401

I am frankly surprised at how much of a whopping discount some folks seem to be able  on medical bills IF the barter with cash ...now you may or may not have stretched out your provider to the point that they may not be willing to settle--but many providers will settle for hard cash.

• 12-09-2012 11:46 AM In reply to

I think the answer you are not wanting to hear is that you owe the money.  But more than likely you owe the money.

But if I were you, my first step would be to call the hospital and discuss the matter.  Now maybe you can work out  a payment plan or something.  No way for me to know that.  Maybe they'll just demand it all up front.

However, so far, it's been a year, and this is supposedly the first you heard of this bill?  I know I get EOB's from my medical provider.  I am well aware of what they pay and what they don't.  What's it say on that paperwork?

You never received a bill for 12 months straight?  That seems really very odd to me.  

You easiest option is to pay the bill and put it into your rear view mirror.  Other others, are to see about a payment plan, declare bankrupty, or I suppose you could just not pay, not show to court, and move to another country.  And I'm kidding, and not actually suggesting that.  But I mean what options or rights do you think you have when you owe someone money?

Good luck!

• 12-09-2012 8:23 PM In reply to

• Cica
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 09-23-2003
    • Posts 6,520

bazinga:
    I had a hospital stay at the 1st of this year. I had an unpaid balance for that stay that was not covered by my health insurance.

Are you claiming that you were never made aware of this unpaid balance prior to receipt of the Summons?  Or are you asking what your "options and rights" are involving money you owe?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community