my rights

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 12-11-2012 8:37 AM by Drew. 5 replies.
  • 12-10-2012 5:23 PM

my rights

I have been married 15 years we are now seperated, I was wondering he has a retirement plan am I intitled to any of that?

• 12-10-2012 5:45 PM In reply to

Re: my rights

To the extent he earned it during the marriage, sure, you're entitled to your half of the marital share of it. 

Please seek counsel; divorce isn't a good DIY project (in fact, it's a very, very bad DIY project).

• 12-10-2012 7:14 PM In reply to

No, but if you get a divorce you might be.

• 12-10-2012 10:13 PM In reply to

Hire a lawyer, and go for the divorce if that's what you want to do?

or stay married?

but you need to make your decision

Then, maybe?

here is what I suggest you do NOT DO!  Stay in limbo forever.

pull the hammer.  And Go for it!

or Yank it all back, and stay married to the man.

But figure out where you stand?

• 12-11-2012 6:47 AM In reply to

If divorcing,  you would be entitled to an equitable portion of his retirement from the date of marriage to the date of separtion;  equitable does not necessarily mean 50%.

Since some people here seem to take issue with your wording,  if he is currently collecting on his pension,  you could either file for spousal support as that would be considered his income- or at time of equitable distribution-you could ask for back credits for the time he was collecting.

• 12-11-2012 8:37 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 48,931

Get some legal input as to your options  .

If you get divorced you are entitled to equitable distribution of property or assets or retirements built up over course of marriage --probably about 50/50 but NOT necessarialy so.

The time/date of the division picture is state specific --in some states the date of separation counts, in other states it may the date of divorce filing and in others it may be the date of divorce order --ergo in some states to stay in a strained marriage may be better than to be out of it IF the other side is building up the pot. No clue as to ME time frames but I'll bet its not as easy as you might like to sort it out.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community