Leaving joint lease agreement (with a twist)

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 12-12-2012 10:38 AM by Drew. 7 replies.
  • 12-11-2012 2:02 PM

• Kyle23
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-11-2012
    • CA
    • Posts 2

Leaving joint lease agreement (with a twist)

I currently lease a townhome with 3 other individiuals.  They are fresh out of college so my requirements prior to moving in was that i did not want to live in a frat house(no drugs ect).  Shortly after moving in a grow opperation started and there is continued miscalanious drug use.  I have given 2 months for them to find a replacement that they know to take my place.  Got the leasing company to agree to a transfer to a smaller apartment that would be the same rent that they are currently paying.  Also found several good canidates willing to put up with a frat house enviorment but refused to even speak with them.  With what is taking place we are in direct violation of our lease agreemnt so if they were to inspect our property we could be evicted any day for activities i have no participation in (no illegal or immoral activities).  To make things even better what will be harvested from these plants may or may not be shipped over states lines.  Last week durring an argument about me gettign off of the lease i was threatened with physical violence.  Unfortunatly for me i care about my credit and any legal repercussions that may occour due to their illicit behavior.  Is there anything that i can do to protect myself and my credit score?  I need out it is costing me more money becasue i only stay there a few nights a weeks now and it is a hostile living enviorment.  Any help would be much appriciated.

• 12-11-2012 2:13 PM In reply to

Re: Leaving joint lease agreement (with a twist)

Well, you couldn't be evicted "any day" but, yes, you could be in a boatload of trouble (and I presume you've moved out).

If your landlord is willing to release you from the lease and the lease terms don't prohibit it from doing so unilaterally, you oughtn't have a problem (get it in writing).

If the co-tenants are stupid enough to pursue you for damages when you've done everything right in terms of planning to leave, let them.  I'd countersue them for breach of contract and the cost involved with having to move out.

"Is there anything that i can do to protect myself and my credit score?"

You can't protect yourself 100% from stupidity.

In future, I'd be very clear on knowing my co-tenants more completely, and having a separate roommate agreement where every single thing is spelled out and what you all agree to do if the terms are violated, etc., etc. 

• 12-11-2012 3:21 PM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2001
    • TX
    • Posts 7,609

Kyle23:
    Unfortunatly for me i care about my credit and any legal repercussions that may occour due to their illicit behavior.

Why would you be worried about your credit rating when you could be arrested tomorrow along with your roomies for any number of drug violations?  That makes absolutely NO sense.  get your priorties straight.

Kyle23:
    Is there anything that i can do to protect myself

Get yourself away from that apartment immediately and take whatever hit you need to on your credit rating.  That would be a start, but if the cops end up busting the place and your name is connected with the apartment address or whatever, expect your roomies to "throw you under the bus" and blame the whole operation on YOU.  There is no honor among thievse or druggies, so expect the worst.  You might consider discussing your situation with an attorney NOW in an attempt to CYA.

Good luck

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

• 12-11-2012 3:36 PM In reply to

I doubt if any court would hold you to a lease where criminal activity was taking place on premises.

You could have (and should have) left and called the police as soon as the criminal activity became apparent.

You've probably put yourself at more risk of trouble by staying than you would have by leaving.

I suggest you pack your stuff and get out now. Once safely out, call the police.

Anything short of that might put you on the hook as an accomplice.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 12-11-2012 4:40 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,588

If there are illegal activities going on or stuff stored there --how about a well placed call to police ...?

• 12-11-2012 8:10 PM In reply to

• Kyle23
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-11-2012
    • CA
    • Posts 2

DEA wont touch it unless there are 3 more plants.  Its in a gray area in CA.  I want to make sure that i can get far away before anything like that happens.  Would i be able to counter sue them for unliveable and hostile living conditions if they come after me for rent?  Also if i were to go to the leasing office and explain to them that there are ongoing lease violations in our residence what is to stop the leasing office from just saying "thank you" and evecting all of us?

• 12-11-2012 9:00 PM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-08-2001
    • TX
    • Posts 7,609

Kyle23:
    DEA wont touch it unless there are 3 more plants.

And you know this to be a fact, how?  Forget DEA, think local cops, sheriff's department.

Kyle23:
    I want to make sure that i can get far away before anything like that happens.

You have waited far too long, in my opinion.  You know what they are doing and you have continued to live with the operation.  If they busted the place tomorrow, you're going to go down with the rest of the idiots.  You are on the lease and a resident.  You need to cut your ties asap or suffer the consequences.  Forget your credit rating.  Think what a criminal conviction will do to you. 

Kyle23:
    Would i be able to counter sue them for unliveable and hostile living conditions if they come after me for rent?

Sure.  Anybody can sue anybody for most anything.  Just try to collect if you win a case against a bunch of potheads. 

Kyle23:
    what is to stop the leasing office from just saying "thank you" and evecting all of us?

Nothing, but I suspect that before they even bother starting the eviction process that they will involve law enforcement.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

• 12-12-2012 10:38 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,588

Not clear what you got the leasing firm to agree to....

But if they did not agree to take you off the lease your tail is out in the wind -and if RMs bail out, the leasing firm can still hold you to 100% of the rents etc.

It might be smart to make sure the place gets raided....

Hey, take picture of the size of the opeation and ask via 3d party if this is of a size that might interest  law enforcement.

You want off the deal in writing executed by leasing firm.  I have no clue which way to cut the tie is going to be safer/faster  but you want it cut.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community