my doctor lied to me about something very significant

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 12-14-2012 4:24 PM by ca19lawyer2. 6 replies.
  • 12-14-2012 3:13 PM

my doctor lied to me about something very significant

This is a very brief summary of a very long story. My doctor promised me that he would sign a form for the DMV in California in order to lift the suspension from my drivers license.  When the date came that he promised, he said he needed something else.  I fulfilled that.  Then he said he needed something else.  I proved that had already been done.  After that, his only response was, "my hands are tied.  I can do nothing else."  Then, finally, when I went into his office and had a temper tantrum (yelling only, no violence nor threats of violence) in front of him and his entire staff, he sent me a letter stating that he did not want to be my doctor any more.

I want him to sign the form and I think I'm entitled to some compensation for all the hardship he has caused me.  Due to my license suspension, I ran out of savings nearly a year ago and have been homeless ever since.  The doctor knows this.

• 12-14-2012 3:23 PM In reply to

Re: my doctor lied to me about something very significant

You say he lied, but he may disagree.  He may say he learned that X-Y-Z were relevant/necessary.

It's unclear what your question is, but you aren't in a position to insist that a doctor sign a given form.  (I'm also not clear on how your license suspension conflated to homelessness, but I think that's neither here nor there for the purpose of the post.)

• 12-14-2012 3:32 PM In reply to

iamgettingtiredofthis:
    I think I'm entitled to some compensation for all the hardship he has caused me.

You aren't.

The doctor has no legal obligation to sign a form for you if he's not convinced that it's appropriate.

iamgettingtiredofthis:
    Due to my license suspension, I ran out of savings nearly a year ago and have been homeless ever since. 

The license suspension was nobody's fault but your own.

iamgettingtiredofthis:
    The doctor knows this.

So?

Doesn't "entitle" you to anything.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 12-14-2012 3:45 PM In reply to

Unless poster has another thread on topic, can't say with certainty that a license suspension was poster's fault (might be medical condition-based).

• 12-14-2012 4:00 PM In reply to

The reason I think I'm entitled is because he promised.  I waited over a month (while sleeping behind a dumpster in an industrial park) for him to keep his word. 

I think if something had changed, he at least owes me an explaination of that.  He never even suggested something like that.

The reason for the suspension of my license is because I lost consciousness while driving.  Nobody has even tried to diagnose what happened and 3 of the doctors I've seen on this matter (neurologists, so they say) insist that I start anti-seizure therapy even though there is NO evidence of siezures.  In fact, there is pretty clear evidence that it was NOT a seizure.

The reason for my homelessness is that I was driving a taxi when this happened.  Obviously, I cannot do this any more nor any other kind of job involving driving.  Past experience has shown that driving jobs are the only kind of jobs I can keep.

• 12-14-2012 4:03 PM In reply to

The doctor cannot medically certify you as fit to drive if, in his medical judgment, you aren't. Any promise he made to certify you cannot be enforced if you don't qualify for it.  Without more details, I don't see a clear case to sue the doctor for any compensation here. He has no obligation to provide the certification, and from just the facts stated, his promise doesn't appear to amount to a contract. 

If you cannot drive, then you may want to move to an area where you can get a job that won't require you to drive, e.g. a city with a good mass transit system or someplace where you'd be walking/biking distance from work. The doctor isn't responsible for your money troubles or homelessness. 

• 12-14-2012 4:24 PM In reply to

iamgettingtiredofthis:
    The reason I think I'm entitled is because he promised.

Not all promises are enforceable contracts, and nothing suggests that your doctor's supposed "promise" created an enforceable contract.

iamgettingtiredofthis:
    I think if something had changed, he at least owes me an explaination of that.

Not legally.

iamgettingtiredofthis:
    Past experience has shown that driving jobs are the only kind of jobs I can keep.

That suggests other problems attributable to you.

Sorry, but I see nothing here that would lead me to disagree with the others.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community