How to find out if someone is deported?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 12-26-2012 1:56 AM by Taxagent. 5 replies.
  • 12-25-2012 8:58 AM

• res321
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-18-2012
    • VA
    • Posts 31

How to find out if someone is deported?

Hi All,

I need to bring a legal action against a company. The key witness was an immigrant (legal or illegal is unknown to me). I’m aware that the witness was charged with a felony for an unrelated matter and went to three years in prison. He was released from prison but was detained by INS with a view to deport due to the aggravated felony. He may still be challenging his deportation.

I have no idea which immigration facility is he being detained at or his A#. All I have is his legal name and his country of birth (even that I am unsure about). It’s vital for me to at least find his status, whether he is in the country or not.

What can I do this in regard? 

• 12-25-2012 9:07 AM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-09-2000
    • NV
    • Posts 5,200

Re: How to find out if someone is deported?

You can hire a private invetigator to track him down.  A good one will have resources to locate him.

• 12-25-2012 11:34 AM In reply to

Is this the same person you wrote about in August?

http://community.lawyers.com/forums/t/125518.aspx

You mentioned knowing the family. Wouldn't they be able to tell you what's going on with him?

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 12-25-2012 2:26 PM In reply to

Deportation information is public information, though you’ll likely need at least a little more information than jsut his name and country of birth. 

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) is the federal bureau that handles deportation. It has an on-line detainee locator that might help you if you know his name, country of origin, and date of birth. If that doesn’t help, you could also make a freedom of information request (FOIA) request to ICE for copies of any documents it has that reflects the names of persons deported within a certain period of time. Note that you may have to pay for the copies of that information and that FOIA requests often take a long time before the bureau responds, especially at the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) (which is the agency that includes ICE). If you know where he was when the deportation proceedings were started (likely the same state in which he was serving prison time, but that’s not guaranteed) you can check with the immigration court for that area to look up deportation cases in that court against persons with the same name as the alien you are looking for. Otherwise, as already suggested, you can hire a private detective to track down what happened to him. An immigation attorney might also be able to get that for you.

• 12-25-2012 10:11 PM In reply to

• res321
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-18-2012
    • VA
    • Posts 31

AJ: AJ- This isn't the same matter. I was just trying to provide moral support to the previous family and is unrelated to the issue at hand. Thanks for considering it though.

Taxagent: I already tried the ICE inmate locator site. The problem is they only provide data for someone who's deported/released out of their custody in last 60 days.

You mentioned immigration courts. Does PACER holds nationawide immigration cases? Given that I have very little information about him, it will be a big task to start searching immigration courts throughout the country. As you know, PACER allows criminal cases to be searched throughout the nation and I wonder if such an option was available for immigration cases too. Surely, that would make life much easier.

Yes, the last option is that I will have to retain a lawyer or a PI.

• 12-26-2012 1:56 AM In reply to

res321:
    You mentioned immigration courts. Does PACER holds nationawide immigration cases?

No. Only federal district courts (which include the bankruptcy courts) and the appellate courts are included on Pacer. The Immigration Courts are executive agency courts and not included in that system.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community