Possible negligence ??

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 01-12-2013 1:30 AM by Taxagent. 6 replies.
  • 01-09-2013 8:48 PM

• Jen64
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-13-2011
    • IL
    • Posts 19

Possible negligence ??

Is it negligence for a surgeon to refuse to take out their patients stitches/staples until their bill is paid in full?  Or is this simply unethical?  Patient is not suffering further injury....yet. 

• 01-09-2013 9:56 PM In reply to

Re: Possible negligence ??

Jen64:
    Is it negligence for a surgeon to refuse to take out their patients stitches/staples until their bill is paid in full?

It could be.  The standard of care is to remove sutures of any type that are not biodegradable within 7-10 days.  Deviating from the standard of care could be negligent if the patient suffers harm.

Jen64:
    Or is this simply unethical?

Withholding care of removal of sutures for a bill could be considered unethical.

Jen64:
    Patient is not suffering further injury....yet. 

When was the surgery?  If it is approaching the 10 day limit the patient can always go to their primary care doctor or urgent care facility to have the sutures removed before they become adhesed (stuck) to the skin and more difficult to remove or infection results.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• 01-09-2013 9:58 PM In reply to

Jen64:
    Is it negligence for a surgeon to refuse to take out their patients stitches/staples until their bill is paid in full?

No.

Not unless the delay causes negative medical issues which might be unlikely.

Jen64:

Unethical, maybe. Report it to the state medical board and see how they feel about it.

Jen64:

Here's the problem.

If, at some point, the stiches/staples start to cause problems and the patient doesn't seek immediate treatment than any further injury might be on the patient, not the doctor.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • 01-10-2013 12:19 PM In reply to

Jen64:

No, As far as i know stitches and staples are use to close the wound. It will only take out if the wound is totally healed, allyou can do is clean it and replace new bandage.Most of the time, stitches are removed:

From the face in 4 to 5 days.

From the hands and arms in 5 to 10 days.

From the feet, legs, chest, abdomen, and back in 7 to 14 days.

Over a joint in 7 to 14 days.

Jen64:

If you think it is, report it

Jen64:

Just kip on observing and ask doctor advice on how to take  care of it.

"Dont rely on the information given without seeking professional advice"

http://www.wealthsafe.com.au/

• 01-11-2013 7:27 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 49,587

I dont know about the ethics but I think the surgeon deserves an award for common sense...I'm tired of paying for folks who fail to pay the bills ...in some cases big time no pay.   

• 01-12-2013 1:15 AM In reply to

• Jen64
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-13-2011
    • IL
    • Posts 19

I hear you but this is not the case. He paid 50% up front and was going to make payments. 

• 01-12-2013 1:30 AM In reply to

Jen64:

I don't see it as a negligence issue. Malpractice occurs when the doctor fails to use the minimum degree of care and skill when treating a patient. So, if the doctor botched removing the staples, that's potential malpractice. Refusing to provide follow-up care unless paid is not an issue of whether the doctor performed the treatment with the required degree of skill. It is instead an issue of whether the doctor is obligated to provide the care the patient is seeking in the first place. That's mostly a contractual issue — did the doctor promise to provide that in the contract. Other than a contractual commitment, doctors do not have a legal obligation to provide treatment except in extremely serious circumstances, e.g. where the patient may die if treatment is not provided. 

Jen64:

Whether it is a violation of the state medical practice rules for doctors is a great question for the medical board of the state in which this is occurring.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community