California - Car Turned in front of me and I hit it - Other

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Mon, Jan 14 2013 11:14 AM by TCarter15. 2 replies.
  • Mon, Jan 14 2013 7:22 AM

California - Car Turned in front of me and I hit it - Other

I was behind a car in the right lane of a four lane road (2 lanes each way) going about 30mph at a spot in the road where the road widens to three lanes, two lanes going straight and one lane a right turn only lane. The car in front of me remained in the right lane and I merged into what was becoming a right turn only lane. The right turn only lane does not have a white line designating it's a right trun lane until you pass a driveway entrance into the gas station. But there is clearly enough room on the far right to begin your preparation to turn right.

The other car without using turn signals turned in front of me and we collided. The other driver states the accident was my fault because I was not in a lane. He admits he did not use his turn signal.

Looks like about $1,200 damage to each vehicle.

Was I in the wrong because the white line designating right turn only was still about 15 yards in front of me?

Or was he wrong for turning in front of me and not using his turn signal;?

Steve Murphy

• Mon, Jan 14 2013 10:17 AM In reply to

Re: California - Car Turned in front of me and I hit it - Other

This is probably one of those things where both drivers blame each other and with no witnesses it's likely to be a wash.

To whom did he admit that he didn't use his signal? Just you (not good)? To a police officer (good)?

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Mon, Jan 14 2013 11:14 AM In reply to

• TCarter15
      Consumer
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 22 2010
    • GA
    • Posts 420

Re: California - Car Turned in front of me and I hit it - Ot...

So, we're assuming you were driving on the shoulder of the road or the emergency lane. There is no reason to believe that he has a right to turn without looking (or signaling). Your insurance companies will probably decide for you.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community