falsely accused of child abuse what can i do?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Tue, Jun 25 2013 5:36 PM by OliviasMom. 2 replies.
  • Tue, Jun 25 2013 5:16 PM

falsely accused of child abuse what can i do?

I recently had a visit from CPS stating I abused my children because my 2 year old daughter had too many bruises on her legs. Of course I am doing NO such thing and my 2 year old is very active and clumsy. My issue is with whom ever reported me.  I have no problem proving that i am a fit parent and that there is no abuse in my house however I want to know what recourse I have in pursing the person that filed a FALSE report on me and my children. Is there anything I can do in the state of Texas? I do not think it is fair for people to be allowed to falsely accuse parents that arent doing anything wrong and waste the states resources when there are hundreds of children that are being abused and are not getting the help.

Thanks

Falsely Accused Mom

• Tue, Jun 25 2013 5:25 PM In reply to

Re: falsely accused of child abuse what can i do?

falselyaccusedmom:
    I want to know what recourse I have in pursing the person that filed a FALSE report on me and my children.

Absolutely NONE.  Those who report suspected child abuse are immune from suit for doing so.  Some people who report are mandatory reporters by state law:  medical personnel, physicians, teachers, mental health counselors to name a few.  They have immunity from being sued for reporting suspected abuse under this law.

The other thing civillian reporter's of suspected abuse have is anonymity.  They are not required to reveal their identity when making a report.  It is entirely possible that CPS doesn't even know who made the report.

falselyaccusedmom:
    Is there anything I can do in the state of Texas?

Beyond show that your children are not abused?  No.  

falselyaccusedmom:
    I do not think it is fair for people to be allowed to falsely accuse parents that arent doing anything wrong and waste the states resources when there are hundreds of children that are being abused and are not getting the help.

Fair has nothing to do with it.  A young child is covered in bruises that seem suspicious is not a false accusation.  It is likely the person reported a concern that something was not right and the potential for abuse existed based on visible evidence.  I for one would hate for even one child to be harmed because someone did not report a concern out of fear of a lawsuit.  

If your children really are safe then the state will quickly agree and close the case.  

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Tue, Jun 25 2013 5:36 PM In reply to

Re: falsely accused of child abuse what can i do?

You have zero recourse. It does not mean there is no abuse or that there was a false report but for now CPs I'd unable to prove it. Do you have a non related male living with you? Is it possible the child if verbal told someone that someone hit her? If reporting child abuse was not anonymous then most would not do it.  

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community