Please give me some advice???

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Wed, Nov 12 2014 6:22 PM by BobbyRose23. 5 replies.
  • Fri, Jul 12 2013 10:07 PM

• robmeyer74
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 13 2013
    • PA
    • Posts 3

Please give me some advice???

Doink the clown was my favorite WWE wrestler ever. With WWE appearing to not have further use for the intellectual property of doink the clown, and the former wrestler who portrayed Doink having recently passed away I would (as a very experienced professional wrestler) like to acquire rights to make appearances as Doink the clown.

I know old WWE wrestlers such as Superfly Snuka and Honky tonk man and the iron shiek still work as the formerly protected property of WWE. I did a trademark search, and WWE still owns the name Doink the clown, and it was re registered in 2007. They do not however have a trademark or copyright on simply the name "Doink"

so my two questions are:

1: Do I have any legal standings to just use the name Doink in the field of professional wrestling?

2: Is there any way I could franchise (for lack of a better word) Doink the clown from WWE?

any help or advice anyone could offer would be truly appreciated.

ps. We will surely be looking for an entertainment attorney if this venture is possible.  

• Sat, Jul 13 2013 2:04 AM In reply to

• DOCAR
      Lawyer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 9 2000
    • NV
    • Posts 5,469

Re: Please give me some advice???

robmeyer74:
    1: Do I have any legal standings to just use the name Doink in the field of professional wrestling?

We are not permitted to give specific legal advise on this site.  You best bet is to contact an intellectual property attorney.

robmeyer74:
    2: Is there any way I could franchise (for lack of a better word) Doink the clown from WWE

You mean besides asking them?

• Sat, Jul 13 2013 2:33 PM In reply to

• robmeyer74
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • PA
    • Posts 3

well that was some great advice, I will certainly look into an intellectual property attorney. and as far as asking the WWE if I could franchise, I was just wondering if anybody had heard of such a thing. I wouldn't even know where to begin as far as contacting the WWE, but I'm sure it'll actual properties lawyer would know. if anybody has any other advice I'm all ears.

• Sat, Jul 13 2013 2:57 PM In reply to

robmeyer74:

No.

That's an obvious trademark infringement considering your purpose.

I suspect that you would get into difficulties if you opened a store called Doinkin Donuts.

See how that works.

Doink's Auto Repair might work as long as your mechanics don't dress up as clowns.

robmeyer74:

2: Is there any way I could franchise (for lack of a better word) Doink the clown from WWE?

It's called licensing and it's done all the time. Just be prepared to pay WWE money for the rights to use the name.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Sat, Jul 13 2013 3:19 PM In reply to

• robmeyer74
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • PA
    • Posts 3

well of course we would be more than willing to pay fees to WWE for licensing rights. I'm very glad that I found the site this advice I've been receiving is most helpful. what type of attorney would you recommend I hire 2 get the ball rolling with WWE?

• Wed, Nov 12 2014 6:22 PM In reply to

• BobbyRose23
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 13 2014
    • FL
    • Posts 1

ok Well here is my advice I know some of the "indy" doinks. The WWE doesnt care if people portay him on the Independent leauge. BUT, you can use the name or the gimmick to make money, most of them will get booked as themselves and also appear as doink. You cannot appear on DVD's or sell merch. You know there always some loop holes. I am actually a Referee who is trained, which I will be a doink too but you gotta be careful

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community