The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

Arizona - Police interrogation without parents

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Wed, Oct 2 2013 3:41 PM by BlackCat5_6. 4 replies.
  • Sun, Sep 29 2013 9:01 AM

Arizona - Police interrogation without parents

State is Arizone - Homecoming dance.  Police were singling out girls that were walking funny and giving them breathalyzer tests on the spot without notifying parents first.  These were 14 year old girls in 3 inch heels, which is why they were walking funny.

So the question is, can school officials detain minors and allow the police to give them breathalyzers without the parent's being present or notified at all?

This happened to my daughter, and she blew a 0.0, but was pulled out of the dance with several of her friends and detained for over an hour by police while they gave them all breathalyzers.  Is this legal?

Thanks

• Sun, Sep 29 2013 9:37 AM In reply to

Re: Arizona - Police interrogation without parents

Yes, it's legal.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Sun, Sep 29 2013 2:06 PM In reply to

GnarlyCarly:
    So the question is, can school officials detain minors and allow the police to give them breathalyzers without the parent's being present or notified at all?

It is not required that the parents be notified first or that the parents be present.

GnarlyCarly:
    This happened to my daughter, and she blew a 0.0, but was pulled out of the dance with several of her friends and detained for over an hour by police while they gave them all breathalyzers.  Is this legal?

It may have been legal. More details on the dance and what the police observed would be needed to determine that. However, since your daughter suffered nothing more from this than the loss of some time at the dance, there's really nothing for her to pursue in any lawsuit even if her rights were violated, if that's what you were wondering.

• Mon, Sep 30 2013 8:30 PM In reply to

GnarlyCarly:
    Police were singling out girls that were walking funny and giving them breathalyzer tests on the spot without notifying parents first.  These were 14 year old girls in 3 inch heels, which is why they were walking funny.

All of them?  Were you there?

GnarlyCarly:
    can school officials detain minors and allow the police to give them breathalyzers without the parent's being present or notified at all?

Yes.  In fact, according to your post, that's exactly what did happen, so it should be rather obvious that it can happen.  If your intent was to ask a different question -- i.e., whether such a practice is legal -- the answer to that is also yes.

GnarlyCarly:

Yes.

• Wed, Oct 2 2013 3:41 PM In reply to

Having 3" heels does not preclude the possibility of other reasons for being wobbly, alcohol included in those possibilities.  

I have a child several years younger than 14 who has 2" heels (dress up shoes) and has no wobble.  If she's wobbling, it isn't due to the shoes.

I would rather have dilligent authorities ensuring the safety of my kids than to have them or other kids doing something that could harm themselves or others.  

I applaude those officials and officers involved.  There are too many situations where something like that SHOULD have been done, but it wasn't.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community