Bad Neighbors

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Thu, Jan 2 2014 11:00 AM by adjuster jack. 3 replies.
  • Thu, Jan 2 2014 1:11 AM

Bad Neighbors

I live in a very rural area. I own about a 20 acres horse farm. I have awful neighbors who almost on a daily basis are yelling and screaming curse words so loudly that my 3 year old daughter can clearly hear them. Most days I can't allow her to play outside because they can't keep their family under control. I am also trying to operate a business out of my barn by boarding and teaching riding lessons, but with the environment they leave its almost impossible to get customers. Not that I can blame people for leaving, no one should have to listen to them! Just tonight, at MIDNIGHT mind you, they were reeving a VERY loud motorcylce and woke my very sick child that just came home from the hostpital this evening from a bad flu virus. On top of that, my husband has to go into work at 5am and needs his sleep also. Their home is over 300 yrds from my house and yet they still plauge my family and other neighboring families who have children. About a month ago they were shooting at one another. What if my family or a neighbor had been caught in cross fire? I also am aware that they have all served time in prision and have had drug related charges. I've called the sheriff on them weekly it seems. I've got my local Sheirff on speed dial and don't even have to tell him where to go anymore.

Anywho, what legally can I do? I don't care where they go, prison, a new homestead, they can stay if they will just keep quiet and to themselves!! I have several neighbors willing to rally with me if there is legal action I can take against them, because I have had enough! I would move myself, but we have a beautiful new home, and my neighbors also do. They live in their mini trailer park on their 5 or so acres. No problems with the trailer park thing, just the people living there.

Thank you for any help!

• Thu, Jan 2 2014 8:38 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,404

Re: Bad Neighbors

Old LLs. Suggestions:

The fact that they are noisy cruds probably doesn't get you any legal leverage..and unless there are local,laws about discharge of firearms the mere act of shoot a gun is probably not legally actionable. And many communities do not have useful in terms of practical to enforce, noise ordinances.

My guess is a rural area may lack ordinances limiting trailer parks..but check into same ..to me if the park lacks legally adaquate sewage or water..to,close it down may be a logical goal.

• Thu, Jan 2 2014 10:03 AM In reply to

AshleyCrumpton:
    I have awful neighbors who almost on a daily basis are yelling and screaming curse words

Offensive but not illegal.

AshleyCrumpton:
    Just tonight, at MIDNIGHT mind you, they were reeving a VERY loud motorcylce

Probably violates some noise ordinance(s) but likely would be issued a slap on the wrist by the county or courts.

AshleyCrumpton:
    About a month ago they were shooting at one another.

High risk and possibly illegal but if the cops won't pursue it you have nothing.

AshleyCrumpton:
    What if my family or a neighbor had been caught in cross fire?

You cannot sue for "what if" only for what actual damages you do have.

AshleyCrumpton:
    Anywho, what legally can I do?

I would start by speaking to a business attorney.  Your best avenue may be the negative affect their conduct is having on your business for a legal remedy.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Thu, Jan 2 2014 11:00 AM In reply to

AshleyCrumpton:
    Anywho, what legally can I do? I don't care where they go, prison, a new homestead, they can stay if they will just keep quiet and to themselves!! I have several neighbors willing to rally with me if there is legal action I can take against them, because I have had enough!

It's called a privat nuisance lawsuit.

Consult an attorney about it.

By "rally" do your neighbors mean that they will contribute money to a legal fund? Better ask. Because when you find out how much a lawsuit like that will cost, you might not want to do it.

AshleyCrumpton:
    I would move myself, but we have a beautiful new home, and my neighbors also do.

Sorry, but when you live next to lunatic neighbors, you might just have to resign yourself to selling and moving.

I've been there and that's what I ended up doing.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community