Preparing for Medicaid in Connecticut

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Thu, Jan 23 2014 4:20 PM by Drew. 12 replies.
  • Wed, Jan 22 2014 10:19 AM

• foolishman
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 10 2012
    • CT
    • Posts 76

Preparing for Medicaid in Connecticut

We are in Connecticut. Mom is now permanently in a nursing home. Dad is not and is the community spouse.  The nursing home costs $350 per day.  As I understand it, a snapshot of their assets must be recorded on the day she entered the nursing home after the 20 days that Medicare covered her.  If I am correct on 2014 figures, Dad can keep $117,240 in assets and mom has to have $1,600 or below in order to apply for Medicaid.  That means that they must spend down all assets to $118,840. (House and Dad's car is exempt).  However there is one attorney's website that indicates there was a statute repealed in CT and that the $117,240 exemption for the community spouse no longer applies in CT.  The site is:

http://www.flomandepaola.com/blog/bad-news-for-connecticut-spouses-applying-for-medicaid/

Is this true?

• Wed, Jan 22 2014 10:30 AM In reply to

Re: Preparing for Medicaid in Connecticut

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who believe that a family should be entitled to keep a large amount of assets while the tax payers pick up the cost for a parent(s) or spouse's long term care.

It appears this IS accurate.  Do you know how LOW the standard of care on Medicaid is?  I fear you simply believe that you get Mom on Medicaid and tell her nursing home and doctors and they simply say "oh, okay" and start billing medicaid instead of Medicare or the family.  That is NOT how it works.  If the nursing home she is in now does not have an open Medicaid slot the you will be required to move her to a home that does.  They may not even take Medicaid not every long term care facility does.  Her providers may not participate either which would also mean finding new ones that do AND have room for new Medicaid patients in their practice.

Before reckless spending money on the plan of Medicaid paying for the nursing home you might look at all the aspects of the plan.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Wed, Jan 22 2014 10:48 AM In reply to

It always annoys me when websites say something is law and failes to cite statutes. Lawyers should know better.

Anyway, as best as I can find out, that appears to be true.

CT apparently reverted back to the 1/2 thing in 2011.

See:

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2012/JFR/H/2012HB-05338-R00AGE-JFR.htm

I suggest you contact the DSS and find out for sure how that works.

http://www.ct.gov/dss/cwp/view.asp?a=2353&q=305218

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Wed, Jan 22 2014 11:12 AM In reply to

• Carol757
      Consumer
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 10 2001
    • Posts 448

If you read some of the OP's earlier posts, it's not entirely clear to me that he is trying to get the taxpayers to pay for all his parents' nursing home expenses while the family retains a lot of assets. 

• Wed, Jan 22 2014 11:25 AM In reply to

Carol757:

If you read some of the OP's earlier posts, it's not entirely clear to me that he is trying to get the taxpayers to pay for all his parents' nursing home expenses while the family retains a lot of assets. 

If there was relevant information in the OP's previous posts he should have provided a link to them or just added the question to an existing thread.

• to keep and bear arms,
  • Wed, Jan 22 2014 12:35 PM In reply to

• foolishman
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • CT
    • Posts 76

OK I did not mean to imply that the family should keep assets and stick Medicaid with the nursing home cost.  I am just trying to find out the rules and we will follow them.  Mom is currently in a nursing home.  75% of the residents in that home are already on medicaid, so the nursing home does accept medicaid.  My father will be paying for the home out of pocket until mom becomes eligible for Medicaid and while we will be going to see an elder law attorney, I am just trying to understand what my father has to spend down to.  We will be following the Medicaid rules to the letter and whatever he is entitled to under law, he will keep. I do not understand how LOW the standard of Medicaid care is and I do not understand that statement.  She would be in the exact same nursing home.  I thought I was just trying to ask a simple question.

• Wed, Jan 22 2014 12:44 PM In reply to

foolishman:
    I thought I was just trying to ask a simple question.

You were.

Sometimes people read things that aren't there. Human nature. It happens.

• to keep and bear arms,
  • Thu, Jan 23 2014 10:35 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,369

In a facility,that has both retail rate clients and wholesale rate clients paid by 3d party as in Medicaid ..sometimes it hard to say who gets better or worse care than the other.....or even if there is any,difference....on floor,staff may not even know who is paying how and you may not love any  level,of care short of that the upper 1%! Can afford... been there several times with family and friends

I too,am not wild about folks who preserve assets and transfer spouse to taxpayers care BUT that is not the question OP addresses..the point is that the moves that are not in violation of the rules remain open and the rules about counted assets are just that....the rules may be full of land mines for folks who want to end run the rules and the rules are full of thou shall not do x,y,z .But so be it.

If some forms of annuities, Or spend downs  fit..well then consider same with care.

I am a bit symphatic as to the plight of,those who,saved for a rainy day being treated far worse than those who,,blew thru  it earlier. As to quality of life for each spouse.   How to preserve assets now,for next generation has a different smell.

• Thu, Jan 23 2014 11:29 AM In reply to

• foolishman
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • CT
    • Posts 76

OK I can very easily understand opinions that elderly people should not be able to give away assets and then go on Medicaid. If I am correct that is what the Deficit Reduction Act of 2006 addressed.  In my family's case, assets will be spent down as per medicaid rules with no illegal anything.  I only wanted to know if the community spouse's exemption in the state of CT follows the federal 2014 amount of $117,240.  I normally do not wish to debate in forums, but if a person feels that medicaid exemption is STILL unfair, then I will say that if that person owes $1,000 in income taxes on their 1040 form, they must be sending $20,000 in on their own to help the national debt if they really strongly feel that way....or is that a different story?

• Thu, Jan 23 2014 3:28 PM In reply to

Your best bet is to consult an elder law attorney with experience in your situation, rather than rely on the opinions of strangers on the internet with no experience.

• Thu, Jan 23 2014 3:59 PM In reply to

• foolishman
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • CT
    • Posts 76

We now have an appt with an elder law atty Feb 4.  Sometimes you can get a tip on a forum, sometimes you just get slammed for asking anything.  Thanx all!

• Thu, Jan 23 2014 4:16 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 51,369

That number seems about right ..merely as a layman.

There are some planning techniques which may be inside the rules that can move some hefty amounts into uncounted box ..but double check before you buy into an expensive miracle plan that moves the house about in terms of titles and life estate and buy backs...not all miracle plans work out in real life . 

• Thu, Jan 23 2014 4:20 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • PA
    • Posts 51,369

To accelerate addressing some long deferred maintenance of parents home and to up grade the tired car in driveway  and to get some deferred dental work and glasses addressed. ...Can legitimately burn a modest sum.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community