RE:Filing of a petition for writ of Certiorari .

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Fri, Jan 24 2014 6:27 PM by Livi. 13 replies.
  • Wed, Jan 22 2014 7:32 PM

• Livi
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 21 2014
    • Posts 3

RE:Filing of a petition for writ of Certiorari .

I am going to file a petition for writ of Certiorari with the U.S. Supreme Court in Washington. 

Do you know name of any local printer business in Arizona who does printing of the booklets in the right format?

Livi.

• Wed, Jan 22 2014 9:08 PM In reply to

Re: RE:Filing of a petition for writ of Certiorari .

If you have the specifications for the format you can get any printing service to do it.

You can even do it with your own computer and printer.

But if you are looking for a printing service that already has the specifications without needing you to provide them, that's probably going to be tough to find. You'd need to call up every printing service until you find the right one.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Wed, Jan 22 2014 9:39 PM In reply to

adjuster jack:

Since the Supreme Court requires 40 copies and a VERY specific binding format it is not reasonable to do it on the home printer.

adjuster jack:
    But if you are looking for a printing service that already has the specifications without needing you to provide them, that's probably going to be tough to find.

Actually a google search reveals LOTS of companies that know how to do this.  

Livi:
    Do you know name of any local printer business in Arizona who does printing of the booklets in the right format?

I could not find one specifically in Arizona but a Google search for the terms "supreme court printing service" reveals there are PLENTY of services.  A quick glance at a few websites and many have secure servers you can upload your petition to and they will format and bind it in the correct format.  They also give free estimates as to the cost.  I am sure you can find one to do the job.  They can probably also tell you how out of state firms handle getting the copies to SCOTUS and the proper filing documents and fees.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Wed, Jan 22 2014 10:23 PM In reply to

CM, you're getting better at this than I am.

I may have to retire and pass the torch to you.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Wed, Jan 22 2014 10:44 PM In reply to

adjuster jack:

CM, you're getting better at this than I am.

I may have to retire and pass the torch to you.

I am honored but you can't retire until I am ready to.  I am not sure I could take it. :)  LOL

• Thu, Jan 23 2014 12:05 AM In reply to

ClydesMom:
    Since the Supreme Court requires 40 copies and a VERY specific binding format it is not reasonable to do it on the home printer.

I agree with that. Moreover, you won't get the professional appearance you need for submissions to the Court using most home computer set ups. The court accepts very few cases for review, and you want to do everything you can to make a good impression and encourage the court to take the case.

I'll note that it would be a very good idea to have an attorney do the request for cert. The court rejects virtually every pro se petition filed with it in part because pro se parties don't really understand how to write the petition. 

• Thu, Jan 23 2014 10:01 AM In reply to

Taxagent:
    I agree with that. Moreover, you won't get the professional appearance you need for submissions to the Court using most home computer set ups.

Oddly enough while I thought of that the cost was actually a bigger factor.  I don't know what the average length or number of pages is for a SCOTUS Cert petition but at 40 copies I would imagine that a professional service could do it MUCH more cost effectively than a home printer.  The cost of the ink cartridges alone would be staggering.  Even if you did get it printed at home there would still be the cost of paying a printer to bind them correctly too.  May as well contract out the entire project.  

Taxagent:
    I'll note that it would be a very good idea to have an attorney do the request for cert. The court rejects virtually every pro se petition filed with it in part because pro se parties don't really understand how to write the petition. 

Would that attorney be responsible for oral arguments if the petition beat the long odds and was selected for review?  If they would I would imagine that getting an attorney who would be willing to write the petition could be difficult for a shaky case.  Or would one be willing to write for content and format leaving the litigant to print and file?

• Thu, Jan 23 2014 11:27 AM In reply to

You'd be better off finding a printer in DC since that's where the court is located.  There are numerous printers in DC who do this regularly and are very familiar with the applicable rules.

• Thu, Jan 23 2014 11:28 AM In reply to

adjuster jack:

Probably not, although I recall that SCOTUS does have slightly different rules for pro se parties.

• Thu, Jan 23 2014 11:36 AM In reply to

ClydesMom:
    Oddly enough while I thought of that the cost was actually a bigger factor.  I don't know what the average length or number of pages is for a SCOTUS Cert petition but at 40 copies I would imagine that a professional service could do it MUCH more cost effectively than a home printer.  The cost of the ink cartridges alone would be staggering.  Even if you did get it printed at home there would still be the cost of paying a printer to bind them correctly too.  May as well contract out the entire project.

For the last one I did, the petition was roughly 20 pages (plus tables) and our opposition was 13 pages (plus tables).  I was actually surprised how little the printing service we used charged.  All I had to do was put together a raw Word document and e-mail it to the printer, who formatted it, prepared the tables, printed and bound all the copies, and filed it.  We didn't have to worry about any of the formatting rules or how many copies to submit, etc.  Total cost was somewhere in the neighborhood of $500.

ClydesMom:
    Would that attorney be responsible for oral arguments if the petition beat the long odds and was selected for review?

If that attorney is the attorney of record, yes.  Of course, counsel can sub out in SCOTUS as in other courts.

ClydesMom:
    Or would one be willing to write for content and format leaving the litigant to print and file?

Only possible answer is maybe.

• Thu, Jan 23 2014 3:47 PM In reply to

• Livi
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3

Thank you so much for your advices. By the way, do you remember the name of the company who did the printing and binding for about  USD 500,-.   ??.

From Livi.

• Thu, Jan 23 2014 5:00 PM In reply to

I do, but I believe this site's rules forbid referrals.  As I or someone else said, however, numerous printing services can be located easily with a simple google search (https://www.google.com/#q=us+supreme+court+printing+service).  The one I have used is near the top of these results.

• Thu, Jan 23 2014 5:19 PM In reply to

ca19lawyer2:
    I do, but I believe this site's rules forbid referrals.  As I or someone else said, however, numerous printing services can be located easily with a simple google search (https://www.google.com/#q=us+supreme+court+printing+service).  The one I have used is near the top of these results.

I wasn't sure which was why I included the search terms I used in my first post too.  The referral part wsan't as much a concern as appearing that this site endorsed one service over another.  Since the estimates are free I would get several quotes and compare them.  To each their own.  

• Fri, Jan 24 2014 6:27 PM In reply to

• Livi
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3

Thank you all of you who gave me advices.!  I have now found many names, and I believe I would find some that would help me with this printing of booklets. Thanks again for great help. from Livi.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community