copyright and impersonation

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Wed, Mar 12 2014 4:42 PM by ca19lawyer2. 3 replies.
  • Tue, Mar 11 2014 1:03 PM

Ok [+0+] copyright and impersonation

My question has to do with being a Female impersonator. When i perform as a public person and perform their music ,and looking like the character i am impersonating ( but it being said that it is an impersonation ) before the event .What am i required to do in the field of copyright ? Someone made a short film about why and what i do and answering questions about my work ..while questions are being asked music is playing in the backroud in my home where the interview took place of the artist i impersonate . They also show a clip of one of the numbers i am performing ! what are the legal ramifications if this would be put on youtube ??

• Tue, Mar 11 2014 6:35 PM In reply to

Re: copyright and impersonation

If you were, say, a Madonna impersonator and wanted to perform some of Madonna's songs  as part of your act, you would need to get a license from the copyright holder of those songs. The copyright holder is likely to charge you a fee for that, if it is willing to give you the license. As for the interview clip, whether anything in it violates copyright law really can't be determined without viewing it. I suggest you have a copyright lawyer review the clip and your act generally to advise you what you need to do to ensure you are not infringing on anyone's copyright interests. 

• Wed, Mar 12 2014 1:09 AM In reply to

Ok [+0+] Re: copyright and impersonation

thank you so very much for the advice . I do Perform as Bette Midler for charities ,and a documentary was filmed about that . I just wanted to know what to do to cover myself from any leagal issues . Thank you very much again .

• Wed, Mar 12 2014 4:42 PM In reply to

Re: copyright and impersonation

Dixie landers:
    When i perform as a public person and perform their music ,and looking like the character i am impersonating ( but it being said that it is an impersonation ) before the event .What am i required to do in the field of copyright ?

In order to publicly perform a copyright-protected song, you need the copyright owner's consent.  Note that most popular music is registered with a performing rights society such as ASCAP or BMI, and most licensing of the sort you are describing is handled by obtaining a license from ASCAP or BMI, rather than directly from the copyright owner.  That you happen to be impersonating someone while performing the song is of no relevance to this question.

Dixie landers:
    Someone made a short film about why and what i do and answering questions about my work ..while questions are being asked music is playing in the backroud in my home where the interview took place of the artist i impersonate .

I cannot figure out what the prepositional phrase "of the artist I impersonate" is modifying.

Dixie landers:
    They also show a clip of one of the numbers i am performing !

Are you saying that a clip of one of your performances is used in the film?

Dixie landers:
    what are the legal ramifications if this would be put on youtube ?

Depends on who the rights owners are.  Some are more tolerant of this than others.  It is unquestionably copyright infringement if you don't have an appropriate license (this one you or the person who made the film would need to get directly from the copyright owner).  You're also at risk of being sued for violating the celbrity's right of publicity, and I would suggest you read some of these articles:  https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=celebrity+impersonators+right+of+publicity&gbv=2&oq=celebrity+impersonators+right+of+publicity&gs_l=heirloom-hp.3...741.8854.0.9087.39.19.1.19.5.1.161.1909.13j6.19.0....0...1ac.1.34.heirloom-hp..16.23.1707.X89sgPFXwEU.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community