The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

Items That I Had Before I Got Married

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Tue, Mar 11 2014 2:42 PM by Drew. 1 replies.
  • Tue, Mar 11 2014 2:29 PM

Items That I Had Before I Got Married

I live in Ms and I have a question concerning getting a divorce and splitting up the things we purchased or the things that we had before we got married. My parents deeded me a house that they owned outright before I got married. I had the house 3 years before I got married and 4 years after getting married we divorced. Does she have the any legal rights to the house? It has always been in my name and she is not on the deed at all.

Mississippi

• Tue, Mar 11 2014 2:42 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,431

Re: Items That I Had Before I Got Married

Varies by state..generally separate property remains separate property ., yours,not in the pot to split.

However she may have an equitable claim to a portion of the value increase, if any, over the timeframe of the marriage.

And if she thinks she put a lot of her money into repairs or additions or anything she may bellyache about same 

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community