TV show help

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Tue, Mar 18 2014 5:33 PM by adjuster jack. 5 replies.
  • Tue, Mar 18 2014 3:23 PM

• dlom85
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 18 2014
    • NY
    • Posts 2

TV show help

A friend and I are interested in developing a television comedy.  We have already completed both a feature-length film and a short film using the characters and concept.  These are very low budget, but at least we have examples of what we would like to do.

What is our next step?  Obviously we want to get someone interested.  Most places will not view unsolicited submissions so it has been suggested to us to find an entertainment lawyer.  Researching what to do can be overwhelming though and any help would be gladly appreciated.

• Tue, Mar 18 2014 3:29 PM In reply to

Re: TV show help

An entertainment lawyer is great for the contracts you would sign with any production company.  

What you need first is an agent.  If you don't have someone with the connections to get your premise in front of the right people then it is still likely to be a non-starter.  Typically they no longer look for a "treatment" but a timeline of the concept and the project.  If you get a project off the ground then the lawyer can help you with all your contracts and you do want your own that will look out for your interests.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Tue, Mar 18 2014 3:40 PM In reply to

• dlom85
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Mar 18 2014
    • NY
    • Posts 2

Thank you, good advice.  I had a feeling what we needed more at this point was an agent but a friend with some experience kept telling us to find an entertainment lawyer as if there was no difference.

• Tue, Mar 18 2014 3:58 PM In reply to

I would try and find someone with connections to Chuck Lorre.  What ever he touches seems to turn to sitcom gold.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Tue, Mar 18 2014 4:21 PM In reply to

Not really a legal question.  What you need are industry contacts of ANY nature.  Saying you should get an agent or a lawyer is all well and good, but a lot of agents won't give you the time of day unless you come with recommendations, and you probably can't afford even the "cheap" entertainment attorneys (although you might be able to get one to give you a free consultation).  The other option is to develop something yourself that you post to YouTube and which you can then shop based on the hopefully positive reception you get.

• Tue, Mar 18 2014 5:33 PM In reply to

dlom85:
    a friend with some experience

Absolutely 100% the worst ever person to take advice from.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community