The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

Ex Sold Kids Property

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Tue, Mar 25 2014 9:02 AM by Drew. 7 replies.
  • Fri, Mar 21 2014 12:44 AM

• ''Ilikea
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 27 2002
    • TX
    • Posts 6

Ex Sold Kids Property

I was stupid and let my ex keep our kids daredevil collection. This was an investment for their future to be sold to help pay for their college. I found out that he sold them. And used the money for himself. What are the options in this situation? He technically stole their property and sold it.

• Fri, Mar 21 2014 2:49 AM In reply to

Re: Ex Sold Kids Property

Kids don't own property so he didn't steal anything (technically or otherwise).

And since you "let" him keep the collection, the collection was his to sell.

If your divorce decree did not specify how the collection was to be handled then you have no options.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Fri, Mar 21 2014 7:25 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,431

Agree with adjuster jack --kids didnt own it, it was community property  and we dont know what the divorce order said  but if he wound up keeping it odds favor the collection was his to sell.

Now it may seem like dirty pool ---but you need to share 50% of the blame for inattention

• Mon, Mar 24 2014 4:23 PM In reply to

Generally speaking, children don't own property.  Property that "belongs" to a child actually belongs to the parents.  I have no idea what a "daredevil collection" is or why it might serve as an "investment," but was this property mentioned in your divorce decree?  If so, what did that provision say?  If not, did your decree include a provision along the following lines:  "As to any property not specifically mentioned in this decree, all property currently in husband's possession is conferred to him as his sole and separate property, and all property in wife's possession is conferred to her as her sole and separate property."  Such provisions are extremely common (and practically universal).  Unless your divorce decree contained a provision specifically requiring your ex to maintain this property for the kids' benefit, it almost certainly belonged to him, and he was free to do with it as he pleased.

• Mon, Mar 24 2014 4:31 PM In reply to

''Ilikea:
    This was an investment for their future to be sold to help pay for their college.

I hope you have a better plan to pay for college than comic books and related paraphernalia.  Beanie Babies, Pokemon cards, Webkinz. and any other "fad" toy the bottom falls out to where they are worthless when the fascination ends and a new be all and end all of kid's collectibles emerges.  

The bottom fell out of the comic book market about 6-7 years ago at the start of the recession.  I guarantee you that by the time your kids start college you would be unlikely to get enough to pay the application fee for community college out of selling the collection.  

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Mon, Mar 24 2014 5:52 PM In reply to

''Ilikea:

I was stupid and let my ex keep our kids daredevil collection. This was an investment for their future to be sold to help pay for their college. I found out that he sold them. And used the money for himself. What are the options in this situation? He technically stole their property and sold it.

What did he get for it?  You can pay for College education on daredevil collections?

I should price my Evel Knievel set then, maybe it's worth more than I thought!

• Mon, Mar 24 2014 6:42 PM In reply to

• ''Ilikea
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 27 2002
    • TX
    • Posts 6

Yes, I have a better plan than that. It started with leaving him and setting up a college fund.  This was something that was going to supposedly give us an extra 10 grand or so. It's a shame he keeps selling his kids things to fund his own adventures, and maybe this isn't legally stealing from his kids but in principle, it is. Thanks for the responses. I got my answer.

• Tue, Mar 25 2014 9:02 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,431

Texas does NOT require that parents in a divorce  need address college for kids....unless it is in the order  ....probably a bit late to add it back in there now?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community