False positive drug test

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Wed, Aug 24 2016 10:20 AM by Landon v. Kroll. 16 replies.
  • Sun, May 25 2014 6:15 AM

False positive drug test

cps came and gave me a urine drug test and told me it was positive for PCP... I have never taken this drug in my life now they are sending it off to a lab.. I told them Im going to have my own doctor give me a drug test she told me that theirs are the best and will show no different so what will they do in a lab that is so different in the office? They wouldn't even let me look at the test and refused to let me take another.. BTW I am NOT the offender but I do take prescribed meds for pain and she didnt like that although I did PASS 100% of background checks and past drug tests. I am trying to get my granbaby outta foster care and into my home

I kept thinking what in the world would cause this result? I said Oh I forgot I take synthroid and she jumped on me and said why didnt u tell me I said i had plain forgot and she asked if it was in paperwork I said yes I.e. last week again the reg worker wasnt in and I came up positive for the meds I do take they asked me if I have scripts for them I said yes it is in my paperwork then asked who the doctors are I told who they were and again stated its in my paperwork and not one time was ever mean rude.

My reg pharmacy gave me a print out on what cab cause a false positive one of the was ibuprofin and thats one I prescribed 800mgs I even asked before knowing this to the worker if that could have an affect  she told me no, as if she has medical or pharmicutcal knowledge but I doubt she did 

In the beginning when my home study started I asked if my medications I take for a health condition would factor in because if that was the case I would STOP everything, she told me no.. So I finally get granted unsupervised visitations ans the other day I got drug tested and she looked at the test a zillion times and before even doing that she said I am not even sure if I should let u go because for one ur breaking the law by driving and taking these even tho all them had been taken the night before and 1 other meds for pain ive been on for 3yrs the anti anxiety meds I didnt start taking until I found out my granbaby was taken away... I was treated like a POS to be honest they would even let me use the bathroom alone and the reg worker wasnt there that day...  i believe my test was Negative for PCP soon after leaving I went and bought a very high tech expensive test and I showed negative I think she just wanted to see my levels of my prescribed meds.. but I dont think this is in the contract and the week before i WAS told by the reg worker they would be fully recommending me for custody

Its not the fact tha I am blolwiing smoke and know for a 20000% certainy I will show neg for PCP but it was the way I was treated... Allwhile in front of my son who came to get my granchild we were celebrating his birthday and my granbaby who is 3 was all present They made me feel humilated and dusgusting when I have dont nothing wrong and have a perfect file on record with DHS

• Sun, May 25 2014 10:18 AM In reply to

Re: False positive drug test

I spent all that tme reading that long explanation but, guess what, I couldn't find a question in there anywhere.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Sun, May 25 2014 11:33 AM In reply to

I guess my question would be why couldnt they show me the drug test results?

and why judge me on my currect meds if I have scripts for them?

Im just hurt by this whole thing the way they treated me it was gawd awful... I mean who is this lady to judge me like this ask soo many questions why didnt she just read my file?

• Sun, May 25 2014 11:57 AM In reply to

I am a chemist.

Typically, there are two steps in a drug test. The first is an inexpensive screening. This is done "in the field". They take your sample, put it in a plastic tray, and observe the reaction. The reagents in the plastic tray cost about a dollar for each test. 

There are a lot of false positives in this inexpensive first step screening. If they are following the usual protocol, the sample is then sent to a chemistry lab where it is analyzed for the drug identified in the initial screening. The equipment used to perform the second analysis is much more accurate than the screening step. The drug-testing company which which I am familiar uses a GCMS (gas chromatograph/mass spectrometer) in the second test. A GCMS is very accurate and precise, much more so than the inexpensive first round screening panel.

The reason why they don't repeat the first step screening is because they know the second step will give them more accurate results.

Your instinct is to go to your own doctor and pay for a back-up test is a good one. Be sure to follow all the protocols, in other words, ask a technician to observe your giving the sample, etc. That way should there be a difference between the two tests, that will create doubt in the mind of the authorities. You must go in right away to get the second test. Waste no time. The longer you wait, the less valuable your own doctor's test results will be to cast doubt on the first test.

• Sun, May 25 2014 12:52 PM In reply to

You didn't say how long ago you gave this sample.  If you want to prove definitively that you have never used illegal drugs, you can go the bit more expensive route and get a hair test done.  Any substances you take is/are reflected in your hair and can be identified.

• Sun, May 25 2014 4:56 PM In reply to

You may want to consider going of of anything that is a narciotic. I know a few people that all have legal prescriptions and a couple are major pill poppers. It is still dangerous to drive on some of them,

• Sun, May 25 2014 11:52 PM In reply to

• kfr1960
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 9 2014
    • IA
    • Posts 24

theres nothing to woory about if you were not using any drugs that you are not prescribed to take. that test they gave you is likely  an indacater (initial screening ) test. had you passed that one you are considered "negative" for drug usage. but if you are taking some prescribed medications , this can and will show as "positive" for the different classes of drugs there looking for like amphetimines opites thc etc. if it is truly a legitimite test procedure  they send the sample to a lab and give it a gc/ms test and this will tell the story if you are negative or positive .  in a nutshell n o two drugs have the same moleculer structure and a gc/ms test will do  this .  serious business here  and i would or have an attorney demand  a  gc/ms test  be done on the sample. the initial indicator test they gave you is not a reliable test.  this&... gc/ms lab test will cost you or them more money for this test but this will prove your guilt or innocence. good luck   ...

• Mon, May 26 2014 12:00 AM In reply to

• kfr1960
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 9 2014
    • IA
    • Posts 24

oooopss i didnt see the chemists  reply , i was trying to say what he did , but he did a better job, and is spot on correct. this is the same testing procedure (gc/ms) that  the dot workers and safety sensative position workers  go thru if there initial test shows positive

• Mon, May 26 2014 2:02 AM In reply to

Im not worried ABOUT IT at all and this is the 3rd test they have given me and passed them all..in fact the ones I still have and the one for PCo always showes up the lgithest dont kow y but it does..

• Mon, May 26 2014 2:13 AM In reply to

I take the lowest dose of ambien and xanax in fact switched from xanax to alrozapam 0.05

ive been in norco 10/325 for quit some yrs (due to a trampoloine accident) along with have lupus

I take synthroid for a thyroid problem this med will be a life long medication routine

I WOULD NEVER DRIVE OR BE IMPAIRED WHAT SO EVER AROUND MY CHILDREN)

But like I mentioned when they first canme to do the home study I asked if I needed to stop she told me no

I have a very clean driving and criminal record as well.

I dont know why they wouldnt let me see this one dont know why they told me I was breakikng the law dont know why that if I went to my doc their test results wouldnt mean jack to them plus its not as goos as the ones they have so I wouod be waisting my time. 

All this happended last wednesday

• Mon, May 26 2014 12:06 PM In reply to

"it was the way I was treated... Allwhile in front of my son who came to get my granchild we were celebrating his birthday and my granbaby who is 3 was all present They made me feel humilated and dusgusting when I have dont nothing wrong and have a perfect file on record with DHS"

If you want to know whether this gives you a case to sue somebody, I'm not a lawyer but I don't see anything you could sue over or for.  It sounds to me as though they were just doing their job and following their standard procedures, albeit somewhat insensitively.  They are probably not allowed to let you give the sample alone in your bathroom, since that would give someone who DOES use illegal drugs a chance to cheat.

Maybe after you are declared fit for custody and have your grandkids living with you, you could consider either talking to these workers themselves (sensitively - no whining) about how they could make the experience less painful for people without risk of missing evidence of unfitness, or making a complaint to the agency or its ombudsman, if it has one.

• Mon, May 26 2014 12:50 PM In reply to

kfr1960:

oooopss i didnt see the chemists  reply , i was trying to say what he did , but he did a better job, and is spot on correct. this is the same testing procedure (gc/ms) that  the dot workers and safety sensative position workers  go thru if there initial test shows positive

"She". I'm a lady chemist.

• Tue, May 27 2014 1:46 AM In reply to

• Cicijo
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Feb 16 2013
    • IL
    • Posts 60

You may want to consider going of of anything that is a narciotic. I know a few people that all have legal prescriptions and a couple are major pill poppers. It is still dangerous to drive on some of them,

That's odd advice. You think OP should stop taking prescribed medication that she probably needs because you know a couple of people who are major pill poppers? That makes no sense.

Also, it's not dangerous to drive on narcotics once you're tolerant and stable.

• Wed, Jul 2 2014 4:05 AM In reply to

I eventually went to my own doctor and got tested and I was negative on PCP conclusion was the Ibuprofin that is prescribed to me cross reacts in a rapid test. As of June 24, 2014 I was granted custody YAYYY!

• Wed, Jul 2 2014 4:08 AM In reply to

Thats eactly what I did.. Went to my family doc and they sent it off to a lab, not only did I take one with him but I requested my pain management doc to perform one as well they both came back with same results - on pcp 

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community