Registering Copyright for an Album with Co-writing Credits

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Mon, Jul 21 2014 1:19 PM by ca19lawyer2. 3 replies.
  • Fri, Jul 18 2014 4:36 PM

• Transient5
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 24 2010
    • CO
    • Posts 14

Registering Copyright for an Album with Co-writing Credits

What is the best, cost effective way to register an album of songs whos writing credits vary from one track to another? For example, a band whose members all write the songs, but in various combinations?

• Mon, Jul 21 2014 12:16 PM In reply to

Re: Registering Copyright for an Album with Co-writing Credits

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  The only way to register any copyright in the U.S. is through the U.S. Copyright Office:  http://www.copyright.gov/eco/

Perhaps you could clarify exactly what you want to know.  For example, are you looking to register the several musical compositions by registering the album as a "compilation work," rather than registering each composition individually (presumably for the purpose of saving a little bit of money)?  Or are you looking to register the album itself as a sound recording (or, perhaps, as a compilation of several sound recordings)?

If, perhaps, you don't understand those questions, you might want to read up on some copyright basics at the www.copyright.gov home page (or just ask questions here).

• Mon, Jul 21 2014 12:28 PM In reply to

• Transient5
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 24 2010
    • CO
    • Posts 14

Re: Registering Copyright for an Album with Co-writing Credi...

Thanks for your reply.  What I mean is, in the past, I have used Form SR to register an album on cd and indicated on that form that I was also registering the underlying work.  My problem is I have been told that form SR can be used for the underlying work only if the writers are the same on each track. In this band, there are 6 combinations of 4 writers, so I cannot copyright the sound recording and underlying work on the same form.

• Mon, Jul 21 2014 1:19 PM In reply to

Re: Registering Copyright for an Album with Co-writing Credi...

Ok.  You're right.  If you want to register the copyrights in the musical compositions, you'll have to do them individually (or you can group the compositions written by the same groups of writers) using form PA, and then you can register the copyright in the sound recording (the album) separately.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community