The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

What to do about a neighbor

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Thu, Sep 18 2014 1:27 PM by Starr2005. 12 replies.
  • Wed, Sep 17 2014 6:33 PM

• Starr2005
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 29 2012
    • KY
    • Posts 18

What to do about a neighbor

i live in Kentucky and my neighbor has started to complain that I've been cutting into her grass for the last 7 years. In the last 7 years, I haven't cut into her yard, the other day I went to cut my grass cause it was the same length as hers. She started complaining that I cut  her yard line, when I couldn't even tell due to the grass being the same length. When I got done, cutting my grass, that night she placed a letter in my mailbox saying that I had cut 2ft into her yard. I had a seriff come the next day and he said it wasn't even 2ft. A week later, i left it alone to allow my grass to grow. Well, today, she cut into my yard and cut the yard line that was beginning to grow back and now she's selling the house.  I know this might be silly, but said neighbor is making a big deal and I want to know what legal actions I can take if need be and what can she do. Any help is appreciated. Thanks! And once again, sorry if this is a silly topic. 

• Wed, Sep 17 2014 6:57 PM In reply to

• Arthur3
      Consumer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jan 21 2007
    • Posts 294

Re: What to do about a neighbor

Put up a fence.

• Wed, Sep 17 2014 7:07 PM In reply to

• Starr2005
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • KY
    • Posts 18

That's what Iam thinking about doing. I just can't believe that she waited 7 years to complain. 

• Wed, Sep 17 2014 7:37 PM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 8 2001
    • TX
    • Posts 7,875

Starr2005:
    I want to know what legal actions I can take if need be and what can she do.

I would say that contemplating legal action would be a bit premature.  I would suggest the least expensive of these three options:

1)  Get a survey

2)  Build a fence, but might be better to get a survey first.

3)  Do nothing.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

• Wed, Sep 17 2014 8:09 PM In reply to

• Starr2005
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • KY
    • Posts 18

But my neighbor can still legal action against me correct? As of now I'am not planning on it, but just in case she takes action first. I am leaning towards right now just getting a fence to separate our houses. I don't want to see or put up with a disgruntled neighbor like her. 

• Thu, Sep 18 2014 11:30 AM In reply to

Starr2005:
    I am leaning towards right now just getting a fence to separate our houses.

Make sure you know where the legal property line is first, or you will make things worse instead of better.  If your property has not been surveyed, or if it has but you cannot find the corner pins, then at least get an estimate from a licensed surveyor.  Ask what they would charge to survey your property, locate or install corner pins (depending on whether there are already pins from an earlier survey), and get their survey recorded.

BTW, the place to look to see if your property has already been surveyed is the official property records at the county recorder's office (or whatever it's called in your county), the same place where you'll find your deed and your mortgage if you have one.  If you find a survey there, you can try searching for the corner markers using a metal detector.  Corner pins are usually lengths of rebar driven into the ground, with colored plastic caps on top with information identifying the surveyor.

Before you spend any money, though, have you asked your neighbor what makes her think the 2-foot wide strip of land in question is on her side of the property line?  Did she get a survey done, or find any corner pins?

• Thu, Sep 18 2014 11:58 AM In reply to

• Kivi
      Consumer
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 1 2005
    • CA
    • Posts 6,363

Seems to me she wants to make her property appear larger than perhaps it really is so as to "enhance" its potential sale value. That may explain why she has not said something before now. She was not trying to sell her house before now.

I suggest that you do indeed get yourself down to the land records office and see if there is a property survey on file and then see if you can find those pins. It is possible that you are the one who is msitaken about where the property line may be.

One saving grace here, she is selling her house. Ergo, she probably will be moving. You may not have to deal with her that much longer.  

• Thu, Sep 18 2014 11:58 AM In reply to

Starr2005:
    I know this might be silly

Might be?  Sounds like a playground dispute between a couple of 3rd graders....

Starr2005:
    I want to know what legal actions I can take if need be and what can she do.

Legal actions you can take for what?  Because she cut a little bit of your grass?  Come on....really?  And you said she's selling the house, so you won't have to worry about her much longer, right?

• Thu, Sep 18 2014 12:51 PM In reply to

• Starr2005
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • KY
    • Posts 18

There used to like a little pole separating our back yards, but I'am not sure what happend to them or if she took it. 

• Thu, Sep 18 2014 12:55 PM In reply to

• Starr2005
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • KY
    • Posts 18

I don't know if this is considered as property line, but prior to moving I had a small pole separating our back yard that was placed already when I moved in. I hoping she hurry ups and moves and stops nagging. 

• Thu, Sep 18 2014 12:59 PM In reply to

• Starr2005
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • KY
    • Posts 18

I know, I know it sounds like dispute among 3rd graders, but the neighbor is disgruntled after 7 years. Maybe had she mentioned this 7 years ago, we could handled like civilized people. I hope that she sells the soon so that I don't have to ever see her face again. 

• Thu, Sep 18 2014 1:17 PM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 8 2001
    • TX
    • Posts 7,875

Starr2005:
    I don't know if this is considered as property line, but prior to moving I had a small pole separating our back yar

One pole does not mean anything.  When you purchased your property, did you have a survey performed?  If not and if you cannot find any evidence of a survey on file at the courthouse, you need to seriously consider contacting a surveyor  Find out how much they would charge to locate the corner pins or monuments on your property.  Get it done BEFORE she sells her property and your new neighbors go in believeing that they own a couple of feet of YOUR property.  Think how much fun that will be compared to finding out now.

It really is your choice.  Either you want to know the boundaries of your property or you would rather remain ignorant of the true borders and fight about it later.  Kind of a "pay me now, or pay me later" situation.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

• Thu, Sep 18 2014 1:27 PM In reply to

• Starr2005
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • KY
    • Posts 18

I'am looking at to having my property surveyed. Just looking for someoje to do it for a good price. 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community