MS - Elder Exploitation

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Sat, Nov 8 2014 2:55 PM by Kalu. 6 replies.
  • Mon, Oct 27 2014 5:40 PM

• Kalu
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Oct 18 2014
    • MS
    • Posts 15

MS - Elder Exploitation

My friend, John, asked me for help in finding out about what he needs to do. John doesn't have internet access at the moment so I'm trying to help find information.

His father, Bob, is 82, and lives alone. Due to age and poor vision, Bob's doctor told him not to drive anymore (Bob didn't reveal this to his family). John and his son, Bill, have been asking Bob for months not to drive because they are concerned for his safety, but Bob refused until his doctor told him to stop driving.  

Two months ago, two women began showing up at Bob's house. John asked Bob about the women, who they were, what they were doing there, and Bob said that his doctor sent them to clean his house.* Since Bob is on a very limited income, John asked him how he was paying them. He was reluctant to speak about it so John didn't question him any further. 

One day last month, when Bill went to visit Bob, Bob wasn't there so Bill waited for him. Bob was with the two women again. Bill asked Bob where he went that day. Bob replied, "to the pharmacy." But Bob didn't have a pharmacy bag, or anything at all. When Bill checked Bob's medication, some of his narcotic pain relievers were missing. Bill had just checked the meds the day prior and no one else has been in the house. Confirmed by a neighbor who has a security camera that the women's vehicle was the only one. 

Today, when John was going to check on Bob, he saw Bob at the store near his house, where he has a charge account. Bob was putting gas in the women's vehicle. When John talked to Bob, Bob said the women needed gas, then added that he wasn't paying for it. I encouraged John to go by the store and speak with the proprietor. They informed John that Bob did pay for their gas, and this has been going on for two months. They get gas, cigarettes, and food on Bob's account running his bill into the hundreds of dollars every month.

As stated, Bob's income is very limited. He didn't have enough money last month to buy cat food. John feels Bob is going along with these two because of the doctor. This doctor works in an office through the hospital in a small town nearby, and is next to a nursing home who are also patients. 

Should John file a complaint with the hospital? Report it to Adult Protective Services? Law enforcement? Anyone else?

*It has been confirmed that the doctor did send them. Bob is entirely capable of cleaning his home. He lives alone, is a very neat and clean person, is active, so light cleaning is all he has to do. John and Bill's wives clean for him, also, when they visit. Someone is always available to drive him at any given time.

They think Bob may feel that if he asks for help he will be viewed as feeble, when he is anything but. He just can't see well enough to drive anymore. When Bob's wife was ill, the family took care of her and will do the same for him. Bill is moving in next door to Bob next month. 

Thank you to anyone who took the time to read this!

• Mon, Oct 27 2014 6:05 PM In reply to

Re: MS - Elder Exploitation

Kalu:
    *It has been confirmed that the doctor did send them.

If this were me I would first shut down that account these 2 women are charging to and make it clear that they can no longer use it for any reason.

I would report them to the doctor and Adult Protective Services along with law enforcement.  I would explain to this doctor that no more "helpers" are to be dispatched without family being made aware and allowed to screen them for suitability and criminal backgrounds.

Bill needs to be present when these 2 women show up next and cut them off from the money 

Then family needs to have a gentle conversation with Bob and ensure him that no one thinks he is feeble but they are there not only to help but protect him from those who would take advantage of him like these women did.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Mon, Oct 27 2014 6:21 PM In reply to

• Kalu
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • MS
    • Posts 15

Thank you. They have no idea who these women are, or anything about their background. I will relay this information to John. Again, thank you so very much.

• Tue, Oct 28 2014 5:01 PM In reply to

• Kalu
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • MS
    • Posts 15

ClydesMom, thank you for your immediate response. John was very grateful and said he appreciated that so much. And I want to leave an update.

This morning John called the hospital to make the report and they didn't have a record of any type of home health care for Bob. He gave them the information he had.

He then left to make the report with law enforcement and stopped to check in on Bob. The women were back again, this time to actually clean the house. He took down the license plate and gave it to the LEO. The LEO said he was familiar with the women, mother and daughter. The LEO knows the investigator and contacted him to make the report.

Just before noon, the receptionist at the doctor's office called John to inquire about what happened. He told her what the women did/are doing. She told John she she would call back after she talked to the doctor. She called back and told John that the doctor denied sending, or even knowing about, the two women. She said they only deal with legitimate home healt care agencies.

A little later this afternoon the two women went back to Bob's house trying to find out what was going on. Why they had been reported, and who had done it. Bob did not know about the investigation until they told him. 

This is very strange. First, Bob doesn't have a telephone. He let it be turned off at the beginning of October due to no funds. He had no funds because he had the bill at the store for September's charges. Bill will take care of this next week.

Second, the doctor and receptionist denied sending, and knowing, the women. The investigator nor LE has talked to the women (John checked with them). But the women knew that they are being investigated. Someone told them. I will update when I have more details.  

• Tue, Oct 28 2014 5:20 PM In reply to

Thanks for the update.  I am very happy that things are on the right track to keep Bob safe from predators like this.

I do not know if the doctor is involved or someone in his office but if they are the LEO will get to the bottom of it.  Hopefully both of these women are not sufficiently concerned they will stop taking advantage of Bob and possibly face charges for their conduct to this point.

Let us know how it works out.

"That's just my opinion, then again I might be wrong."  Dennis Miller

• Tue, Nov 4 2014 1:08 PM In reply to

• CJ
      Consumer
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Aug 2 1999
    • CA
    • Posts 1,721

Hmmm ... my gut reaction is that the receptionist at the Dr.'s Office might be the culprit here. I'd be willing to get she knows who these ladies are and probably assisted in connecting them with Bob.

Here some food for thought ..

1. When a doctor decided that their patient shouldn't drive any longer, they report that to the DMV who pulls the license and notifies the driver by mail.  Unless the DMV has pulled his license, he is still legally allowed to drive. 

2. Bill and John have zero legal rights to do anything about the situation until or unless dad has been determined not to be capable of making sound rational decisions in his care. Which doesn't sound like it has happened.

This elderly man sounds lonely.  He's just been told that his freedom (driving) has been removed, his wife has passed and he lives alone.  I'm guessing these women are taking advantage of his loneliness and generousity.  I would have a very frank discussion with Bob and also one with these two women. 

• Sat, Nov 8 2014 2:55 PM In reply to

• Kalu
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • MS
    • Posts 15

Came back for a small update.

John and I both were thinking it could possibly be her. Two days after the receptionist called John (several times) asking questions, John called to ask her a question. He said; this is John Smith. She repeated several different names and finally got it right. He said, I want to ask you a question about your calls the day before yesterday. She said, calls? He said, yes when you called and questioned me. She said, what were the calls about? He said, about the women who were sent to my father's home to clean for him. She said, women? What women? What questions? He said, nevermind then. And hung up.

1. I was wondering about that myself. I will have John check on this. Bob has not said anything if this is the case. Thank you.

2. They reported what the women were doing to LE, who contacted the investigator. They are doing whatever, if anything, needs to be done. No updates on that yet. And a report was filed with the hospital.

Those were my thoughts as well. Bill and his family will be moved in before the end of this month and he will have the company of his grandchildren. 

Bob did have a lady friend. But she had a severe medical problem come up and her son is taking care of her now. 

Finally, Bob did tell the women not to come back. Other than that he hasn't discussed it. He isn't upset. He seemed relieved they were no longer going to be stopping by four or five times a week asking for gas, cigarettes, and food (fast food cooked at the store, not anything to take home and cook themselves). And he paid them $50 to clean his house. He didn't have enough money left to buy cat food. I sent him the extra bag I had as I always buy extra well before my cat runs out, and picked up another for Bob. Hopefully he'll get all that paid off now and get back on budget.  

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community