The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

Charges for Teen on Parole Selling Pot?

Latest post Wed, Nov 12 2014 6:47 AM by gamemakerchick. 31 replies.
  • Mon, Nov 10 2014 8:06 AM

Charges for Teen on Parole Selling Pot?

My sixteen year old brother is on prole for vandalism (smashing in windows) and MIP (minor in possession), and has been caught by my mother and I using and selling pot again. What charges could be brought against him if I call the cops, as my mother refuses to press charges? There is a 9 year old in the home as well who is being exposed to this. The 16 year old has been smoking in the house and hiding the weed in the room that he shares with his younger brother.

• Mon, Nov 10 2014 8:26 AM In reply to

Re: Charges for Teen on Parole Selling Pot?

Charges are filed by the prosecutor's office and are solely within their discretion, no one elses.  If the cops are informed of the illegal activity, he'll be arrested, charged and incarcerated.  If others in the home are allowing this to happen, they are risking getting themselves charged as well....

• Mon, Nov 10 2014 8:33 AM In reply to

His PO and drug counselor have not been doing much though this process, so I just wanted to know so I know what laws there should be. He has not had any jail time or negative impacts due to any of his actions thus far. They have pretty much been letting him do whatever, so I don't even know if it is worth turning in if nothing will happen.

• Mon, Nov 10 2014 9:06 AM In reply to

Well it's a felony to sell pot to a person under 21 in WA.  I doubt nothing happening would be the outcome this time especially if he's sold to other kids.  Additionally, putting a 9 year old child at risk isn't something the court's let slide.

• Mon, Nov 10 2014 9:20 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,431

Sales, especially to minors, and a stash over 1 oz might not be a laughing matter if convicted for any of same ..and might get drivers license lifted as well...in WA......

• Mon, Nov 10 2014 9:21 AM In reply to

Well, he himself is under 21 AND selling pot. Who knows the age of the kids he is selling it to, lol.  Drug counselor was told and is not worried. They are having a 'meeting' on thursday!! How is this legal to be letting this slide??

• Mon, Nov 10 2014 9:35 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,431

why are police not involved....this is as much a police  matter as it is for a counselor ...if this kid got the equivalent of a free pass ..he sort of burned that one? 

• Mon, Nov 10 2014 9:46 AM In reply to

Ask the drug counseler and parole officer, lol. If he was my son, I would have pressed them to actually fulfull the law. My other brother, the nine year old, is in the mix and living in that home but alas, I have no legal rights to make sure anything is done.

• Mon, Nov 10 2014 12:51 PM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 8 2001
    • TX
    • Posts 7,875

gamemakerchick:
    What charges could be brought against him if I call the cops, as my mother refuses to press charges?

If you were to call the cops, what would you tell them?  Would you tell them that your brother is selling pot and that he has it in the house?  Assuming that is what you told them, it would then be up to the cops to decide if they had the resurces or other incentive to investigate further.  If they decided to proceed, assume that they wold have to somehow investigate your complaint further.  Would they launch some sort of undecover operation to nail a juvenile that might or might not go anywhere?  Maybe, maybe not.  They could also decide that launching an investigation of a juvenile dealer might not be worth it at all and do nothing.  You or your mother cannot compell the police to do anything.

gamemakerchick:
    There is a 9 year old in the home as well who is being exposed to this. The 16 year old has been smoking in the house and hiding the weed in the room that he shares with his younger brother.

Then it is your mother's responsibility to do whatever it takes to protect your younger brother.  If she chooses to do nothing, I doubt that you can make her do anything.

If you somehow succeed in getting your brother arrested, are you prepared for the fallout from your other family members? 

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

• Mon, Nov 10 2014 1:00 PM In reply to

Considering that I know where he has his stash and have stayed over at her house only to wake up to an inferno of pot smoke, no investigation is needed.

Is it wrong for me to want him to get help and to protect my family? I am looking for an answer to my initial question, I could care less about what my family may think, I have people I am trying to protect. If the cops choose to do nothing, then they are not doing their job. I doubt that with him being on parole from this and other infractions that they would just do nothing.

• Mon, Nov 10 2014 1:14 PM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • TX
    • Posts 7,875

gamemakerchick:
    Considering that I know where he has his stash

Then go get it and flush it down the toilet.  Plan on doing this on a regular basis if you can find where he hides it next time.

gamemakerchick:
    Is it wrong for me to want him to get help and to protect my family?

Not at all.  You just need to be realistic.  Bottom line, it is your mother's responsibility to take care of her minor children.  You don't seem to live there any longer, so you really have limited options.

gamemakerchick:
    If the cops choose to do nothing, then they are not doing their job.

Here's where reality kicks in.  Law enforcement agencies do not have unlimited resources and a 16 year old juvenile selling some weed may be way down on the priority list depending on where you live, other types of crime, etc.  Does that make sense?

How much weed do you think your brother is dealing?  Unless he is selling large quantities, cops probably won't do anything unless they stumble over him selling and catch him in the act.  Then you have to understand that he is a juvenile and he isn't likely to end up in prison.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

• Mon, Nov 10 2014 1:27 PM In reply to

Does it not matter that he is on parole for the same thing? Why bother put someone on parole if you aren't going to make sure he takes it seriously? As of yesterday he has 3oz that I know about. Me flushing it does nothing to get him help, just going to get him ***angry.

• Mon, Nov 10 2014 7:04 PM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • TX
    • Posts 7,875

gamemakerchick:
    Why bother put someone on parole if you aren't going to make sure he takes it seriously?

You know the old saying....'you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink'.  Same thing applies to your brother.  Yes he is on probation or parole, whatever, unfortunately nobody can make him take it seriously.  If he gets caught violating the conditions of his probatio/parole then his PO has the option of violating him.  I'm assuming that he is on probation and not parole, but that's neither here nor there.  If he gets caught and the cops report it to his PO, it is up to the PO to do something about it.  Not you, not the cops, not your mother.

If your brother keeps it up he could find himself in a world of hurt, but you're likely not going to have any influence on it.

gamemakerchick:
    As of yesterday he has 3oz that I know about

So throw it away and act innocent.  If he gets ticked off, so be it.  Don't admit that you had anything to do with its' disappearance.  Maybe he'll get caught trying to buy some more and your problem will be soved or at least it might get his attention.  I don't know how old you are, but at some point you are going have to come to the realization that your brother is in control of his own fate. 

• Mon, Nov 10 2014 7:16 PM In reply to

I appreciate that you are trying to help, but my main question has yet to be answered, so I would like to wait for a lawer or someone familiar with the laws centering around this.

• Mon, Nov 10 2014 8:27 PM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • TX
    • Posts 7,875

gamemakerchick:
    but my main question has yet to be answered

So, exactly what is your main question?  All that you have done is state that you don't think that the police or the PO or the drug counselor are taking this seriously.  Have you considered the possibility that these people are doing all that they can under the law?  It sounds as if you want your brother thrown in jail as the solution to his pot problem.  That may not be an option at this time.  Have you considered that maybe your mother doesn't know what to do either? 

Here's the bottom line.  Your brother is likely continue down this path until he ends up in jail, dead, or grows up.  You, your mother, the PO, cops, and drug counselor can talk until you're exhausted and unless he wants to "play", nothing will change.  I understand your frustration, but sometimes you can't change things outside of your control.

Page 1 of 3 (32 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community