The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

Charges for Teen on Parole Selling Pot?

Latest post Wed, Nov 12 2014 6:47 AM by gamemakerchick. 31 replies.
  • Tue, Nov 11 2014 5:55 AM In reply to

Re: Charges for Teen on Parole Selling Pot?

According to the procedures in the state he is on probation for, the case may be reviewed by a judge every few months and the judge needs to have that information as to his current case which could impact his current case; he doesn't need a new arrest/conviction ( which you saying something illegal is going on is different than the prosecutor being able to prove it under the law) for that information to be relevant as to the appropriate disposition on his current case.

• Tue, Nov 11 2014 6:18 AM In reply to

They have proof. He took a test for the drug counselor and it was REALY high. He had initially lied to her and PO, but after the test he told them everything, but they are not doing anything. My mom is trying to press that he has an addiction and needs help, but the 22 year old drug counselor says he is not addicted and no action needs to be taken. I just want him to be able to get help, but the system is failing him by not doing anything.

• Tue, Nov 11 2014 8:40 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,431

It is possible that probation/parole system leans towards not creating problems that get probation/parole revoked ...and or they are simply overworked and your concerns fall off the priority list...

If you brother is engaged in continued criminal activity like sales and or possession of large stash ..then the better levers may be via the police/ law enforcement route ? 

• Tue, Nov 11 2014 8:55 AM In reply to

My mother told me he was on parole, but as he has never been incarcerated, I am assuming it is probation, sorry for the confusion.

What charges and concequences could be brought against him taking account everything stated in its worst and least though? I know what is going on now is not working, but still not really getting the answer I am looking for. Sadly, I can not go back and edit the original post to make things plain.

You can't really say that a judge/whoever would not do anything, why have laws if you don't enforce them, right? I am not trying to have these things happen to him as some are thinking, I want to know for my own benefit.

• Tue, Nov 11 2014 9:39 AM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 8 2001
    • TX
    • Posts 7,875

gamemakerchick:
    What charges and concequences could be brought against him taking account everything stated in its worst and least though?

If your brother were to be arrested again for let's say, possessing weed.  One thing that could happen is that his probation could be revoked.  If he was facing some sort of jail time for the previous charges he could end up incarcerated for the balance of the original sentence.  He would also be facing the consequences, if any, for the current charges.  Since he is a juvenile, he could also get another free ride and more probation.

gamemakerchick:
    why have laws if you don't enforce them, right?

It is virtually impossible to enforce every violation for every offense.  Just can't happen in this world.  That's reality.  In a perfect world everything would be perfect, but we don't live in a perfect world.

gamemakerchick:
    I want to know for my own benefit.

I don't what else you could possibly want to know.  You are just going to have to accept that the world isn't perfect.  Good luck.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

• Tue, Nov 11 2014 9:49 AM In reply to

Drew:

If you brother is engaged in continued criminal activity like sales and or possession of large stash ..then the better levers may be via the police/ law enforcement route ? 

That is what I was trying to get info on, like actual penalties and stuff iff arrested and whatnot.

• Tue, Nov 11 2014 9:51 AM In reply to

DPH:

If your brother were to be arrested again for let's say, possessing weed.  One thing that could happen is that his probation could be revoked.  If he was facing some sort of jail time for the previous charges he could end up incarcerated for the balance of the original sentence.  He would also be facing the consequences, if any, for the current charges.  Since he is a juvenile, he could also get another free ride and more probation.

This is more or less what I was looking for, but more along the lines of actual laws and consequences for actions, to get a general idea of how the courts would work in such a situation. I think from here I will go do some research on the actual laws and whatnot for what I am looking for. I appreciate the help, just looking for actual laws and consequences without other peoples personal imput not relating, and comments to the situation. Thank you for contributing to try to answer the question.

• Tue, Nov 11 2014 12:27 PM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • TX
    • Posts 7,875

gamemakerchick:
    more along the lines of actual laws and consequences for actions, to get a general idea of how the courts would work in such a situation.

You need to be aware that your brother could be arrested and charged with most anything and that any punishment could range from probation to a range of minimum - maximum sentences (3yrs - 5 yrs), etc.  Charges involving drus could be anything from simple possession to selling to trafficing.  All comes with different penalties.  Personally I would not waste my time trying to figure out what could happen until something DOES happen.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

• Tue, Nov 11 2014 12:47 PM In reply to

Found this information that gave me a perspactive for 18+:

Private sale or distribution of any amount of marijuana is a C felony punishable by up to 5 years imprisonment and/or a fine up to $10,000. An additional mandatory fine of $1,000 applies to first offenses and $2,000 fine to second or subsequent offenses.

See:

Washington Rev. Code § 9A.20.021
    Washington Rev. Code § 69.50.401
    Washington Rev. Code § 69.50.430

First time marijuana offenders may have the imposition of the standard sentence waived with conditions. For violations which involve a small amount of drugs (as determined by the judge), the offender may have the standard sentence waived in lieu treatment or a prison-based alternative.

See:

Washington Rev. Code § 9.94A.517
    Washington Rev. Code § 9.94A.660
    Washington Rev. Code § 9.94A.662
    Washington Rev. Code § 9.94A.664

Suspension of sentencing is available for all drug offenses, at the discretion of the court. Conditions to this probation may include paying fines and reporting to a probation officer.

Any person convicted of a second or subsequent offense is subject to double the term of imprisonment authorized for the offense and double the fine authorized for the offense. However, this does not apply to possession offenses. A second or subsequent offense is any offense of this statute committed by a person with a prior conviction under this statute or any statute of the United States or any state relating to narcotics, marijuana, depressants, hallucinogens, or stimulants.

See:

Washington Rev. Code § 69.50.408

So a two year difference shouldn't be too different I would thing, maybe just lesser jail time? This is up to date. It is only legal to by from certain places here, NOT from whoever illegally grows it/sells it.

• Tue, Nov 11 2014 5:53 PM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • TX
    • Posts 7,875

gamemakerchick:
    So a two year difference shouldn't be too different
    gamemakerchick:

Found this information that gave me a perspactive for 18+:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that the "two year difference" that you are referencing here is about the fact that your brother is only 16 years old.  I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that there is little relationship between juvenile offenders and over 18 offenders.  Your brother is a juvenile and will be handled in the juvenile system, unless and until he did something so horrible that he would be charged as an adult.  I do not think that making assumptions about adult vs juvenile penalties is worth much. 

Are you hoping that you can somehow present all of this info to your brother and that might it "wake him up"?  Again, trying to guess what might happen from an as yet unknown offense is foolish. 

• Tue, Nov 11 2014 6:23 PM In reply to

Yes, I had meant a two year age difference. I wanted to know so I asked, and then looked up the information.

• Tue, Nov 11 2014 7:08 PM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • TX
    • Posts 7,875

Until your brother turns 18 or was somehow charged as an adult, he will be handled in the juvenile system.  The penalties are different and juveniles are handled different than adult offenders.

Visit the following website for some info on the juvenile system:

http://www.dshs.wa.gov/pdf/ojj/AnnualReport2010/5-Structure&FunctionofJJSystem.pdf

• Tue, Nov 11 2014 7:33 PM In reply to

I appreciate the 2010 report, but I have already researched this. Thanks :)

• Wed, Nov 12 2014 5:24 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,431

You can do all the research you want but until,and unless the police take an interest and bust him for dealing and possession and the DA prosecutes and there is a conviction or a guilty plea ..nothing will get done on that score. 

• Wed, Nov 12 2014 5:47 AM In reply to

I know, thanks.

Page 2 of 3 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community