The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

Help me figure out this Commitment Schedule C

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Thu, Dec 11 2014 11:10 AM by ca19lawyer2. 8 replies.
  • Fri, Dec 5 2014 9:27 AM

Help me figure out this Commitment Schedule C

Can someone help me figure out exactly what this is saying?

Beginning at a point on the Southeasterly side of Moyamensing Avenue at the distance of 260.017 feet Southwestwardly from the Westerly side of Cleveland Street in the 48th Ward of the City of Philadelphia: thence extending Southeastwardly on a line at right angles to said Moyamensing Avenue 70 feet to a certain other 3 feet wide alley which leads Southwestwardly into Pollock Street and Northeastwardly into Cleveland Street and communicated on the Southeasterly side thereof with a certain other 3 feet wide alley which leads Southwardly into Pollock Street: thence extending Southwestwardly along the first mentioned alley 15.140 feet to the Northerly side of Pollock Street: thence extending Westwardly along the Northerly side of Pollock Street 1.071 feet to a point; thence Northwestwardly on a line at right angle to Moyamensing Avenue 69.361 feet to the Southwesterly side of Moyamensing Avenue:and thence extending Northeastwardly along the said side of Moyamensing Avenue 16 feet to the first mention point and place of beginning.

• Fri, Dec 5 2014 10:07 AM In reply to

Re: Help me figure out this Commitment Schedule C

I am mostly wondering about the alley(s)

• Fri, Dec 5 2014 11:35 AM In reply to

That's the legal description of your property. It traces your property lines from the point of origin, around the perimeter of the property, and back to the point of origin.

If you can get the plat diagram from the county assessor (might be available on its website) it should show you the position of the property lines and you can use that description to trace along the lines. That'll give you a rough idea of whether the lines match the description.

However, to be completely accurate you would need to hire a surveyor.

badhorse232:

Why?

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Fri, Dec 5 2014 11:44 AM In reply to

I'll look into that. I am curious about the alley because I was told by a neighbor that there used to be an alley between my house and the auto repair shop next to my house. The neighbor said the original owner let them use the alley and attach their property to her wall. I couldn't find any record of permits or approved zoning for anything related to that. Their inside wall is my outside wall and I'm not sure how that got approved by the city. 

• Fri, Dec 5 2014 10:10 PM In reply to

Then the first thing you need is the plat diagram so you can determine where the property line is.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
  • Wed, Dec 10 2014 6:05 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,431

Roughly how long ago did the neighbor build over the alley and attrach to your wall?

What kind of warranty deed did  you get for your home? General? limited?  Special?  The deed should,say...

How do you know the attachment was by permission of prior owner. 

That alley ,may  or may not be gone forever...but you are way short of,sorting it out .  

Lay your deed and the neighbors out on paper..the presence of a spouse's alley may or may not be obvious on paper .

• Thu, Dec 11 2014 10:59 AM In reply to

To be honest, it's pretty self-explanatory.  It's like following a treasure map.

See also:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metes_and_bounds

By the way, your profile indicates you're in California, but you're describing a piece of property that appears to be in Philadelphia, PA.  Care to comment?  In any event, posting something that allows just about anyone to figure out exactly where you live on an Internet message board isn't the smartest thing to do.

• Thu, Dec 11 2014 11:00 AM In reply to

badhorse232:

What about them?

• Thu, Dec 11 2014 11:10 AM In reply to

badhorse232:
    The neighbor said the original owner let them use the alley and attach their property to her wall.

The original owner of what?  The "original owners" of what is now Philadelphia were the Lenape Indians (followed by the Dutch, the English, and then the State of Pennsylvania).

Did you mean to refer to the person from whom you purchased the property?

Also, who are "them"?

badhorse232:
    I couldn't find any record of permits or approved zoning for anything related to that. Their inside wall is my outside wall and I'm not sure how that got approved by the city.

Ok...perhaps a trip to the city planning/building/zoning office is in order.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community