Delay Divorce

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post 04-25-2008 12:21 PM by Drew. 4 replies.
  • 04-24-2008 4:28 PM

• ADG1
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 03-11-2008
    • Posts 46

Delay Divorce

My wife filed for divorce in December of 2007, and we have finally signed the settlement agreement, and we are awaiting for the judge the sign the documents. She has told someone that she is going to put off making the divorce final so she can continue staying on my health insurance plan as long as possible. I live in Pennsylvania.

How can she delay the divorce from being finalized?
  • 04-24-2008 5:11 PM In reply to

re: Delay Divorce

She probably can't delay the divorce; if she wanted to drag it out, she probably shouldn't have signed the settlement agreement.

You need to bounce this off local counsel.
  • 04-24-2008 5:54 PM In reply to

ask for a continuance

object to something you have "agreed" to
  • 04-25-2008 12:02 PM In reply to

Where's your attorney? Usually, settlement agreements contain a section which states that all parties will sign all necessary papers to finalize the divorce. Has the praecipe been filed? if it has- all that is needed is for judge to review and sign decree.
  • 04-25-2008 12:21 PM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 03-30-2000
    • PA
    • Posts 48,937

You need to ask your counsel about making sure there are no delays in what appears to be completed and submitted docuements to which both have already agreed. Other that what it takes to get moved to the done pile withjudge--generally judges like to close cases so there should be no reason for a delay of game.

However, that said, if she can get a free ride on your health care by a delay then you need to be alert to ways she can derail her own train. Thats a discussion with your counsel to sort out PA games.
    She may be fill of hot air--but I'd at least put myself on alert status.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community