Can a lawyer tell you to lie?

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Mon, Feb 18 2008 6:45 PM by Razzzputinn. 7 replies.
  • Sat, Feb 16 2008 12:25 AM

Question [=?] Can a lawyer tell you to lie?

I know that sounds like a silly question.. but my lawyer who is already walking a fine line with violation of section 3-400 (where they cannot waive their liability or something to that effect if not mistaken) has told us to not tell the insurance company that is holding a lien on the settlement that we settled. And instead to mention that they have offered to settle and give an amount about 1/2 of what we settled for. I understand that this is somewhat in my interest in order to recoup some of the lien $$, but, ummm, isn't this sort of illegal on her part?

Natalie
  • Sat, Feb 16 2008 1:25 AM In reply to

re: Can a lawyer tell you to lie?

The competent ones have 1001 techniques to avoid the truth.

CASE IN POINT;
    Bobby Cutts Jr. Receives Seven Guilty Verdicts for the Murder of Jessie Davis

This defendant expected the jury to accept an incredulous tale portraying the death as accidental. Lawyers only have to convince or confuse one stooge on the jury to accept their alternative reality. It is logical to assume very few guilty defendants are capable of fabricating a convenient explanation which is deemed sufficient to subvert justice.

• Sat, Feb 16 2008 10:39 AM In reply to

That above scenerio is very different than what you are stating your lawyer told you to do- no- it wouldn't be appropriate.
  • Sat, Feb 16 2008 9:40 PM In reply to

Feedback [*=*] re: Can a lawyer tell you to lie?

A lawyer should never counsel their client to lie. OTOH, if you are represented by counsel, the insurance company should not be contacting you directly.
  • Sat, Feb 16 2008 9:59 PM In reply to

Disagree [)*(] re: Can a lawyer tell you to lie?

I don't know where you got your information but Mr. Cutts was not convicted of 7 counts of murder. There were two counts--one for the girlfriend and one for the unborn child. Unless you were on the jury, making a statement regarding the plausibility of his defense, is really inappropriate and judgmental. Juries get to decide the truth or plausibility of a case and a defendant in a criminal trial is entitled to the presumption of innocense and to present witnesses and evidence in his own behalf. He doesn't have to prove he didn't do it, the prosecution has to prove he did and that his actions should not result in conviction of a lesser charge. Our justice system is based upon the premise that it is better to let 9 guilty go free than to incarcerate a single innocent man. That is our system. It's not perfect but it's far better than many alternatives I've witnessed first hand.
  • Sun, Feb 17 2008 7:02 AM In reply to

Source was copy-n-paste headline, as is information presented below regarding jury consultants and expert witnesses. No denying it remains the best system money can buy. Know of any public defenders with access to consultants and $300/hr expert witnesses? Jury consultants and hired guns are cesspool denizens which reveal a flawed model that frequently exhibits less integrity than a Ouija board.

============

The advent of highly paid professionals who lend a scientific gloss to the process has changed things, creating a harmful impression--sometimes true in fact--of unfairness, and a justice system gone terribly awry.

Deploying techniques imported from the world of commercial advertising and marketing, and less scientific sociological hocus-pocus, the growing cadre of trial consultants is transforming American justice, though not necessarily for the better.

=============

The power of science and truth: countering paid liars' efforts to ...... I once clerked for a federal district judge known for his bluntness, who called all expert witnesses, "paid liars".

==================

Hmmmm. So citizens can expect justice from a sytem which yanks laymen from the steets to interpret the facts and apply the law as presented by those (lawyers, prosecutors, judges) with DECADES of education/training/experience. Compounding that dilemma with jury consultants and paid liars is a recipe for disaster. Not to mention overwhelming and complex jury instructions capable of confusing mensa members.

• Sun, Feb 17 2008 9:24 AM In reply to

Razzzputinn

Slamming the legal system in general isn't going to help anything.

Denise
  • Mon, Feb 18 2008 6:45 PM In reply to

re: Razzzputinn

the process of reform is oftentimes a prolonged and arduous journey.

Messenger
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community