The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

New NYS Repeat DWI offender regulations questions

Latest post Wed, Jun 21 2017 7:42 PM by Punching Bag 56. 1,737 replies.
  • Sun, Apr 16 2017 9:49 AM In reply to

• Billy G
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, May 24 2016
    • NY
    • Posts 147

Re: New NYS Repeat DWI offender regulations questions

I dont think it was a suicide..Who drowns themselves really? What a horrible way to go! Also why would you bother to call into work saying your not going to make it in?  If your planning on such a thing whats the difference? I think there is more to come...But its amazing how the people that have our fate in their hands are more fk'd up then we are..Her Brother Killed himself with a handgun within the past few years...

• Sun, Apr 16 2017 9:56 AM In reply to

Crazy  stuff for sure!! I agree, I think there is more to come.

• Sun, Apr 16 2017 2:54 PM In reply to

Hello everyone. I obtained my last dwi on oct. 30 2010. I totaled my truck and in doing so broke my neck and tore my spinal cord. I'am now disabled and can no longer work full time. What a PUTZ. I also achieved 2 duai's in my twentys,no felonies.My next shining moment occured in 1997,DWI. Not a felony. So that brings us back to 2010. On feb. 4,2011 I pled guilty to DWI in a neck brace. That's when the fun started. This DWI was not a felony either, I've never had a felony of anykind. I pd. my fine and lost my liscence for a yr. Of course after my yr. was up I sent my 100 bucks and the DMV44 through the snail mail to the lovely,hard working smucks at the DMV thinking I was on trac to get my liscence back.I think you all know what happend next.I was in shock after I read the responce, talk about hitting a brick wall. Sorry punching bag,you're going to have to send another 100&DMV44 in 5yrs. from now.So I hired a lawyer,$1000, knowing it was in vane but I felt I had to try. That is when my lawyer informed me about a class action suit possibly taking place. I could'nt afford it,I gave up and decided to do my time. Fastforward to last aug. My time was up and I could apply for my liscence. I then got on my computer and looked into the process and found out that I had to get counseling. NO big suprize to me but it put the Ahole process off another 6 mo's. I should have checked into this before last aug. my fault, but I guess this whole thing is my fault. So,I finished counseling and was now able to attempt the snail mail once again this feb. It's very funny that this time they got back to me in 7wk's, about 3wk's ago! I guess they had no reason to sit on it this time. I was afraid to open the damn thing . Well, they gave me the go ahead to start the liscence process,YEA!  Of course you have to start from the begining , permit, safty course, drivers test. I knew that would be the case. I also figured I would have to get the interlock device, and I do. The cost of the one I picked is $125 install and  $100 for monitaring a mo. I was ***angry when I found out that it was for 5 yrs. , but I guess I should be thankfull they did'nt tell me to s**t up a rope!  THE  REAL  KICKER  is that they are only going to give me a resricted liscence for another 5 yrs. Can only drive to work,doctor,DMV,interlock appt's. and the bar. Just kidding about the bar. I guess I don't need food or some kind of life!  Please keep in mind that I had no felonies, who knowes what they will do to people that do!  I'am a disabled 56 yr. old man that lives alone out in the boondocks of the finger lakes.  Had to rely on friends, still do, for everything. Running short on friends.  Anyway, my middle finger is getting tired of typing & flipping off DMV so I guess I'll go for now.        P.S.  If I can help any of my fellow suffer's please let me know!!!!!

• Sun, Apr 16 2017 3:00 PM In reply to

please forgive my spelling errors!!!!

• Tue, Apr 18 2017 8:05 PM In reply to

• robnywran
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 18 2017
    • NY
    • Posts 7

hi there Punching Bag 56, I am in similar predicament. I have 4 alcohol related convictions in 25 years and I am on probation for 3 years. My last conviction was on 5/26/2015 and I been told that I may have to wait 5 years before I can relicense. My probabtion officer told me that I could relicense while on probation but from what I am reading DMV will reject my application until I let the 5 years wait period elapse. I am tempted to hire an attorney but I belive I will probably be wasting money. What do you think should I just wait it out. I finished treatment but I heard I will have to go for a reassesment at least one year prior to my application.

• Wed, Apr 19 2017 8:04 AM In reply to

Hi, robnywran.  You say that you have been told you have to wait 5 yrs to apply,  does that mean you hav'nt sent your  app. to DMV  and  been  told that officially ?  It sounds that way.  If I was you I would want to here it officially from DMV, its going to cost $100 but you'll hear it directly from them and it will get the ball rolling. I would just about garauntee you'll have to do your 5yrs. , but in your case, when do they start counting the 5yrs? As far as hiring a lawyer,I did and in my case it was a waste of money .  Iam not related to any judges or the DMV commish.The DMV seems to be able to do as it pleases.   Good luck!!

• Wed, Apr 19 2017 10:25 AM In reply to

• robnywran
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Apr 18 2017
    • NY
    • Posts 7

Thanks Punching Bag for responding. I have not sent in my application to DMV. Partly because I was told not to send by my attorney who represented me on my dwi trial 2 years ago and partly because I was told by my PO not to send anything until I get permission from the judge who sentence me to probation. Another po told me I am better off waiting until I finish of probation. Even when I finish probation it will only be 3 years post conviction so I may still need to wait an additional 2 to complete the 5 year wait period. Conviction date was 6/25:2015 probation end date is 6/25/2018. According to that law 4 alcohol convictions in 25 years equals a 6 year wait.

what do you think Punching bag

• Wed, Apr 19 2017 12:19 PM In reply to

I can only speak to my own experience so if your lawyer is telling you what you should do then I guess I would listen to what they say. I learned alot by reading what other people posted on this site. AKA taxagent is a lawyer and knows alot more than I do. Maybe he or she will respond to your post?

• Wed, Apr 26 2017 12:22 AM In reply to

• Justitia
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 19 2017
    • NY
    • Posts 30

I called New York Court of appeals about the decision.  They said that there is no deadline, and even with the Judge's passing, they can still make a decision with the judges that are still there.  It is usually 4 to 6 weeks.  Hopefully we can see something soon!!

• Wed, Apr 26 2017 7:06 AM In reply to

I think I read on this blog that the 5 years begins the day the incident occured not the conviction date. Am I correct on this?

• Wed, Apr 26 2017 7:51 AM In reply to

My experience in dealing with the DMV they take that from the conviction date not the incident 

• Wed, Apr 26 2017 8:43 AM In reply to

• Duff101
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 1 2017
    • NY
    • Posts 19

5 year wait period begins when original revocation ends  i was convicted  for dwi 07/30/13 for 1 yr.  it was revoked for 6 months by judge but dmv added 6 months because it was 1 day short of 10 yrs since 2nd dwi. I tried and applied and hoped for a conditional license. I was denied. I can apply 07/30/2019.  I can send application  no sooner than 30 days before that date.  Also cant get conditional     Total bull ***. 

• Wed, Apr 26 2017 11:24 AM In reply to

• Justitia
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • NY
    • Posts 30

How did you apply for your conditional?  And what reason did you give as for why you need a conditional?  

• Wed, Apr 26 2017 11:35 AM In reply to

• Duff101
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 1 2017
    • NY
    • Posts 19

I just applied hoping to be offered a conditional. Had a couple politicians request i get a conditional. Didnt work. I had to try. 

• Wed, Apr 26 2017 12:07 PM In reply to

• Justitia
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • NY
    • Posts 30

Yeah but what was the reason you gave for needing a conditional?  If everyone on here gave their reason maybe we can figure out what is the right reason to give DMV for a conditional.

Page 102 of 116 (1738 items) « First ... < Previous 100 101 102 103 104 Next > ... Last » | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community