The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

New NYS Repeat DWI offender regulations questions

Latest post Fri, Jun 23 2017 7:28 PM by Billy G. 1,747 replies.
  • Tue, May 9 2017 1:48 PM In reply to

• Billy G
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, May 24 2016
    • NY
    • Posts 152

Re: New NYS Repeat DWI offender regulations questionsAny Wor

KingCuomo:

ca19lawyer2:

You screwed yourself by your own bad decision making.  It is just plain ssad to watch all of you serial drunk drivers whining about the onerous consequences of your repeated bad judgment and disregard for the law.

hey moron, my offenses occured more than a decade ago. I was 25 when I got my 3rd DWI. I had a serious drinking problem that I have spent more than a decade working on. Your opinion is pretty "ssad", we aren't whining, we are trying to comprehend how our bad decisions are going to affect the rest of our lives, regardless if we turned our lives around or not. Hopefully you have a family member or loved one who suffers from addiction, so maybe, just maybe, you can not come across as a condesending a*hole, but I imagine there is little hope for that. so, in closing, I sincerely hope that you get into a fatal accident caused by one of these "whiners" that you feel so obligated to call out. You may have a "grasp on legal reasoning", but as a human being, you are pathetic.

Hey King, Why even give this loser the satisfaction of a response..Ca19lawyer2 is a obvious troll who probably still lives at home with mommy at 45 years old with nothing better to do than play video games, troll pages like this and spank off! Even if they are a lawyer they must SUCK! What lawyer that is any good has almost 19,000 posts on a website like this? Nothing better to do? No cases? Who cares what they say!  Im betting he/she is just a loser! Even without our licenses we have more of a life than a piece of trash like this! So in my eyes they dont even deserve a response!

• Tue, May 9 2017 1:50 PM In reply to

• Billy G
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • NY
    • Posts 152

NYSRuinsLives:

WOW!  That is 30 pages of horse poo...  I understand that the government as a whole wants to limit DWI/Drug related offenses, but they have so many other ways to work around complete revocation for 5-8 years or permanently.  How do you compare these regs to the "excessive soda consumption"...

So Rapists and Murderers can get their license after they get out of jail so they can rape or kill again, but I get a DWI while sleeping in my car and I'm screwed until 2021 "if the Commissioner at her sole discretion" gives me my license back...

Im very curious about this? Sleeping in your car..Dont they need a reason to pull you over? If your not driving and havent been pulled over how can they give you a DWI?

• Tue, May 9 2017 1:54 PM In reply to

• Billy G
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • NY
    • Posts 152

ca19lawyer2:

KingCuomo:
    I sincerely hope that you get into a fatal accident caused by one of these "whiners" that you feel so obligated to call out.

Wow...so, when you called me a "pathetic" human being, were you the pot or the kettle?

As far as "comprehend[ing] how [y]our bad decisions are going to effect the rest of [y]our lives," that's not the tenor of what I'm reading.  As noted, most of what I'm seeing is a bunch of whining about the applicable law coming down hard on serial drunk drivers and the court's ruling that most of you don't understand.  But if you're truly only trying to comprehend things, then you now have your answer and should move on.

Hey Cal why dont you go *** yourself and move on to spanking off on mommies couch! Its obvious your SO Called Lawyer practice must suck being you have so much time to be on here..

• Tue, May 9 2017 2:34 PM In reply to

Justitia:
    Ca19lawyer2 are you seriously just in here trolling these poor guys!

I wouldn't call a bunch of serial drunk drivers "poor guys," but the answer is no.

Justitia:
    What is your motivation for posting in here?

Initially, I responded to some guy's comment that mischaracterized the recent opinion of the court.  Then all of these "poor guys" started attacking me.

• Tue, May 9 2017 2:39 PM In reply to

Billy G:
    Hey Cal why dont you go *** yourself and move on to spanking off on mommies couch!

You're so very clever.

Billy G:
    Its obvious your SO Called Lawyer practice must suck being you have so much time to be on here.

You guys really do lack the ability to engage in logical reasoning.

• Tue, May 9 2017 2:41 PM In reply to

• Duff101
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 1 2017
    • NY
    • Posts 19

After 4 yrs i said to myself screw it. 2 more years to wait is to long. Im driving again. Put 130 miles on car. Felt great and even waved to a few cops

• Tue, May 9 2017 4:06 PM In reply to

Dear ca19lawyer2,

Yes, I did come on this site to vent about the decision.  Does that make me a bad person?

Dont claim to know me or my story and I don't find it necessary to explain myself.  I have done things that I regret and consequences are a fact of the decisions that I made.

Whats "ssad"  is that you find it necessary to troll this website for self pleasure.

God Bless You!

• Tue, May 9 2017 4:08 PM In reply to

Justitia:

This is easy for you to say taxagent, but what are the consequences for the DMV and legislature not changing?

The consequence is that the rule stays in place. You presumably know how that affects you in particular. I'll say it again, I do not agree with the rule. I disagree with other rules the government has made, too. Just because you or I disagree with a rule doesn’t make the rule invalid, however much we might want it to work that way.

My take on it is that the anger at the courts over this that I have seen in this thread is misplaced. It is the legislature and the DMV that set the rules the way they are. It is the legislature and the DMV that have the power to change the rule. So if you want to be mad at someone over this, they are the ones that deserve it. 

• Tue, May 9 2017 4:19 PM In reply to

Cops said they saw me drive into the parking lot, which is, a lie and that my signal only blinked twice before I made my left hand turn.  Which is also really funny considering I made a right hand turn into the parking lot hours before I was drinking.  Also, any parking lot with more than 4 spaces (even if private property) is considered a road as defined by NYS VTL.  Like I said earlier Horse Poo.

Another funny fact is that I was arrested for DUI in South Carolina, but NOT convicted of anything .  However,  the arrest alone was used against me at my sentencing in NY.  That's why I say NYS Ruins Lives!

• Tue, May 9 2017 7:35 PM In reply to

It hit the papers in the lower Hudson Valley. 

http://lohud.us/2psIZz6

To all of us in the same situation ,I'm sorry about the decision. I hope there is a change for all of us and still keep the public safe. I really wanted to move on in life and be productive. I made poor choices in the past which I own and accept. What I don't understand is how the State of NY really thinks this is  solving a problem. What do they expect 13000 people to do???  Cunning and baffling .

To those of you who have reached out to me,  I have appreciated your comments ,feedback and overall support .  The struggle over the last 3.5 years has not been easy.

I feel like I have been tossed aside. Recovery is recovery and if they can do it for  opioids they can do it for us who suffer from  alcoholism. 

God  Grant me serenity ! 

• Tue, May 9 2017 8:06 PM In reply to

• Billy G
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • NY
    • Posts 152

ca19lawyer2:

Billy G:
    Hey Cal why dont you go *** yourself and move on to spanking off on mommies couch!

You're so very clever.

Billy G:
    Its obvious your SO Called Lawyer practice must suck being you have so much time to be on here.

You guys really do lack the ability to engage in logical reasoning.

Like I said earlier, No one needs to hear from a wanna be lawyer with a failed practice..I talked to Sills one day and told him about this site..He said he doesnt engage with it..Obviously because he is busy..Why arent you? Its obvious your a troll so why dont you go troll at Hogwarts?

• Tue, May 9 2017 10:58 PM In reply to

• Justitia
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 19 2017
    • NY
    • Posts 30

Taxagent, I guess I am upset because the Court of Appeals was supposed to be the people that forced the legislature into action.  This policy was able to bypass the legislature.  DMV Is essentially rewriting people's sentences.  This means that it is possible for the DMV to keep moving the goal line.  What is stopping them to make he punishment harsher before people serve their sentence?  Bottom line is, this is not justice.  Are you telling me that all 5 judges believe the application of future sanctions for past wrong doings is fair and just?  That what the DMV did by holding people's applications until after the policy was rolled out is justice?  What I find more believable is all 5 toed the company line.  If the judges went the other way couldn't you have stance?  Don't blame the judges, tell the legislature to make he laws harsher.    

• Wed, May 10 2017 5:00 AM In reply to

Always an uphill battle fighting the Executive branch.

He got his press release :   https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/statement-governor-andrew-m-cuomo-regarding-anti-drunk-impaired-driving-protections-being

Again, Are they really preventing DWI's? Are our roads safer? Unlicensed drivers with no insurance. People need to function.

With the great craft beer movement the Governor is pushing and the stupid idea of selling beer in movie theaters the problem will only get worse and the numbers will increase. 7500,13600,26000 etc. etc....

• Wed, May 10 2017 6:56 AM In reply to

Justitia:
    Taxagent, I guess I am upset because the Court of Appeals was supposed to be the people that forced the legislature into action.

I'd have been surprised if you weren’t disappointed at the outcome. I think a lot of people participating here had high hopes the courts would invalidate the regulation and remove that hurdle to getting back a driver's license.

Justitia:
    Are you telling me that all 5 judges believe the application of future sanctions for past wrong doings is fair and just?  That what the DMV did by holding people's applications until after the policy was rolled out is justice?  What I find more believable is all 5 toed the company line.

Here's the problem: the court’s job is not deciding whether the regulation is good or bad, or whether it is fair or just. It is not the court's role to decide what the right policy is. It merely decides whether the government had the authority to do what it did. In this case, the main challenge to the regulation that the court had to decide was whether the DMV exceeded the authority the legislature had given it in the Vehicle and Traffic Law (VTL). The legislature gave the DMV pretty broad authority in licensing decisions and the rule that the DMV issued didn't violate any of the provisions of the VTL. So the Court upheld the regulation. It may be that the judges, like me, didn't like the rule and thought that the DMV should have done something different. But that wasn't their call to make. That's ultimately up to the legislature to decide.

There wasn't a “company line” for the judges to follow. While the governor appoints the judges, once on the bench he cannot fire them. He can't reduce their pay. There's nothing he can do to them if he doesn't like their decisions. Nor is there anything the DMV can do to them if the DMV doesn't like their decisions. So the judges are independent of the governor, the leglislature, and the state agencies. Our system was set up that way to give the judges the freedom to strike down acts of the government that do violate our rights or exceed the government’s authority. Because of that I don't think the judges were bending over backwards trying to please the DMV. If the judges thought the DMV had exceeded its authority they would not have hesitated to make that ruling. Courts rule against the government all the time. That's not to say I agree with every court decision. I don't. But I do think that the vast majority of judges issue rulings that they believe are correct applications and interpretations of the law.

Page 106 of 117 (1748 items) « First ... < Previous 104 105 106 107 108 Next > ... Last » | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community