The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

New NYS Repeat DWI offender regulations questions

Latest post Tue, Jun 27 2017 6:34 AM by m j c04. 1,753 replies.
  • Thu, May 11 2017 7:53 PM In reply to

• robnywran
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 19 2017
    • NY
    • Posts 7

Re: New NYS Repeat DWI offender regulations questionsAny Wor

Hey guy any one interested in keeping this thread or stating a new one where one can post on how they are coping or how they got their license back. Let me know, just one thing let's keep it civil no haters.

• Thu, May 11 2017 8:24 PM In reply to

MADD  endorses ignition interlock and read this

article.http://www.thehour.com/wilton/article/DUI-charge-would-mean-ignition-lock-under-new-bill-8040590.php?cmpid=email-mobile 

Last paragraph says a lot . How many of the 13,600 in NY will " fall off the face of the earth "  ??     ..... sort of speak.

• Fri, May 12 2017 9:22 AM In reply to

• KingCuomo
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 14 2014
    • NY
    • Posts 67

robnywran:

Hey guy any one interested in keeping this thread or stating a new one where one can post on how they are coping or how they got their license back. Let me know, just one thing let's keep it civil no haters.

we already have one

• Sat, May 13 2017 12:59 AM In reply to

• Billy G
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, May 24 2016
    • NY
    • Posts 153

All talk no action! That is apparently what most of you are here..I got fucked as bad as u did but yet u still watta *** on  how bad life is as u do NADDA!

STFU iF UR NOT willing to put up!

• Sat, May 13 2017 10:25 PM In reply to

• sober74
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 14 2013
    • NY
    • Posts 18

Sills didn't care about us, just the money.  I spoke to his partner briefly back in 2013 and he said I should send a $2,000.00 check at the time. I know people who started earlier with him paid that amount. I think it drop to $1,00.00 when the numbers grew. This was easily a $300,000 payday for his firm.  He is just like the crazy attorney on here who post all the time and gets deleted Palumbo.  He wanted $600 just to review my abstract.  When I got my abstract I saw the writing on the wall and told Palumbo I'm not interested.  

If Sills really cared about the 1500 clients in this "class action suit" (which it really wasn't it was 1,500 clients bankrolling three clients to be represented all the way to the Court of Appeals but that's another story) if Sills did care he would not have sent that " shrugging his shoulder" response to his clients, and if he thought he was going to win, he didn't act the way he did during the oral arguments. Yes there were, I suppose, a lot of legal hours spent on this, but at the end of the day he and his staff are probably glad it's over. His arguments in the lower courts were relatively stronger because two out of the five judges agreed with him. This loss has nothing to do with political appointments as much as it does his inability to step up to the plate when he had to! 

I have been sober six years since the night of my arrest. These regulations have yet to hit the main stream public consciousness, nor would we find a lot of supporters if it did. When I was sentenced neither the judge, the prosecutor, nor my attorney knew about these regulations and I was sentenced two months after these regulations were announced. That sentence was based on a plea deal I took when plead guilty in June of 2011. My argument is not the retro-active component of these regulations it's that 95% of us were not even aware of these regulations or the planning of these regulations when we made legal decisions that we thought were going impact our lives a certain way; based on the sentencing and the revocation guidelines presented. Nobody ever said there's a risk you may never get your license back. If they did I would have gone straight to trail. 

Am I ashamed of the fact that I have 5 alcohol related convictions? You bet I am! Did I make poor decisions that night I got arrested? ***heck yes! Was I an emotional basket case because my twin brother just died three months earlier almost to the day I got arrested? Yea I was. If I was aware of these regulations would that have stopped me from pleading my case out or possibly even getting behind the wheel drunk in the first place???? HECK YES!! These 11 or 19 (depending on which side you ask) waivers that the court and both attorneys discussed at the oral arguments were filed by someone or a group of attorneys who understand the parameters of how to get that waiver. If Sills really cared about his clients he would at least find out what the compelling circumstances were that the waiver was granted under. No his response is "find a good attorney and get those old points knocked off"?? For those of you who have already been labeled "permanently dangerous" motorist by DMV you think that label drops off your DMV record if you have some old points removed??  

I know a lot of people are thinking it, I'm just going to say it, Sills is a typically money hungry lawyer who was in over his head and after watching his oral arguments that day I knew then we lost. No doubt in my mind.  I probably know 5 lawyers who could have done a better job had I known what kind of attorney he really was I probably would have hired them.   I figured it was best to sit on the sidelines and see this through with everyone else.  I thought after reading his briefs and his letters to his clients he was legit instead he turned out to be a nervous, unprepared attorney, which goes  to show he probably didn't write those briefs. Some people have said the oral arguments don't weigh that much in a judges decision on this case, I completely disagree.  I've worked in the courts as an expert witness in civil cases and I see what goes on. This unanimous loss has to do more with Sills poor performance then his briefs did.  Now because he lost unanimously there's no chance these regulations will get removed by the Legislature.   I called Dean Skelos office about this back in 2014 my Father knew him well when he was alive. His aide called me back and the first thing his aide said was "the Senator can't do any favors that may look inappropriate" Talk about foreshadowing huh?    I said I wasn't calling for that, I was calling to see what could be done in the State Senate.  Apparently, according to the aide, Skelos was well aware of the regulations as well as the lawsuit in its earlier stages. That told me at the time this is a political topic that unfortunately we are on the losing side. 
    Law abiding people, heck, even I agree with these regulations into the future had they been announced like Leandra's Law. That was front page news in Newsday the day that came out.  So I was not surprised, when my case was handled as a misdemeanor charge, I was required to have an interlock device in my car after my conviction.  That was even though I was not driving it and it was not registered. The fact it was on my property required me to get it. I did it because I had knowledge of the law.   If I knew these regulations were coming, would I have worked out a plea deal? Absolutely not!!   None of us would. That's the injustice here, not that the regulations were applied retroactively it's the fact that none of us knew about them, and for some of us these regulations weren't even a sparkle in Cuomo's eye when we plead out. That letter sent by Tedisco back June of 2012 was the catalyst for push these regulations over the goal line. That was the argument to have in court; not the "Farce of the Waivers"

Don't forget people Cuomo is a bleeding heart democrat who "supports" and believes in the rehabilitation of all criminals. These regulations were a back room deal for Cuomo to get something else done he needed to get done. And there is no way a Conservative who may be elected to replace him would ever touch this politically toxic topic not after this ruling.  
    That's my rant people.
  • Sat, May 13 2017 10:45 PM In reply to

• sober74
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 14 2013
    • NY
    • Posts 18

I meant to type "gone straight to TRIAL". Don't know why I can't edit it now??

• Sat, May 13 2017 10:56 PM In reply to

• Billy G
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • NY
    • Posts 153

sober74:
    if Sills did care he would not have sent that " shrugging his shoulder" response to his clients, and if he thought he was going to win,

I hired Sills and I think it was $1100 or $1200 and I didnt even get the response when it was all said and done!

• Tue, May 16 2017 7:25 PM In reply to

• Billy G
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • NY
    • Posts 153

Rally in front of the DMV office.
    @ 224-260 S Pearl St, Albany, NY 12202
    Thursday July 13th from 10am till 6pm..

We have some people going but can always use more..For those of you willing to try and make the effort for change please contact me at billygeg@aol.com

Thanks!

• Tue, May 16 2017 9:05 PM In reply to

sober74:

Don't know why I can't edit it now??

These forums set a time limit on how long you have to edit a post once you put it up. I think it is ten minutes.

• Wed, May 17 2017 12:30 PM In reply to

• KingCuomo
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 14 2014
    • NY
    • Posts 67

Billy G:

We have some people going but can always use more..For those of you willing to try and make the effort for change please contact me at billygeg@aol.com

Thanks!

I might swing by after work to support you guys. How many you think are going to go?

• Wed, May 17 2017 3:36 PM In reply to

• Billy G
      Consumer
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • NY
    • Posts 153

KingCuomo:

Billy G:

Thanks!

I might swing by after work to support you guys. How many you think are going to go?

Thanks King, Do what you can,We can use all the support we can get..Just hope we can get some more people who want to try and make a CHANGE!

• Thu, May 18 2017 10:13 AM In reply to

• Duff101
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 1 2017
    • NY
    • Posts 19

News organizations all over repeat dwi offenders because of current situation in manhattan. Get ready for even tougher laws. Cuomo on his way to the seen.  

Page 108 of 117 (1754 items) « First ... < Previous 106 107 108 109 110 Next > ... Last » | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community