Wires running across yard in tree line

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Fri, Mar 27 2015 8:46 AM by ca19lawyer2. 4 replies.
  • Fri, Mar 27 2015 12:27 AM

• Pryor
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Mar 27 2015
    • TX
    • Posts 1

Wires running across yard in tree line

We have about three wires that are going across our backyard. I'd like to find out if there is a way to know who/what these are being used for and if they are not electric, but end up being cable or phone, how I should go about trying to get them relocated. Do I have any rights to get them moved? 

• Fri, Mar 27 2015 4:29 AM In reply to

• Drew
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 30 2000
    • PA
    • Posts 51,401

Re: Wires running across yard in tree line

You need to sort out if there are any easements of record and jut what they say.....many easements are pretty broadly written  so an easement granted years ago for power and phone might well now be used for cable..but devil is in the details ..which you don't yet have. 

Also check for poles and locations ..and gather some idea of how long things have been that way and your states adverse possession laws.

• Fri, Mar 27 2015 6:10 AM In reply to

• DPH
      Consumer
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 8 2001
    • TX
    • Posts 7,875

Pryor:
    We have about three wires that are going across our backyard

How about describing where these wires start and end?  Does one end go to a service pole (does this pole have anything on it like a transformer) at the rear of your property and then travel to your house?  Someone else's house?  Are there several/many poles that run behind your house or do you live in a rural area?   Do they perhaps go to a smaller service pole on your property and then continue to your house or someone else's house?  Try to describe.

Pryor:
    if they are not electric, but end up being cable or phone, how I should go about trying to get them relocated.

Why does it matter if they happen to be something besides electric?  Do you not have phone or cable service at your house? 

Pryor:
    how I should go about trying to get them relocated. Do I have any rights to get them moved? 

To PERHAPS get them relocated, you first need to determine what type of service/utility they deliver.  If you tell me where they terminate, I might be able to help you.  If they do not terminate at your house, where do they terminate?  Telephone service would likely end up terminatinating in a small gray (maybe) box on the side/rear of a house.  Cable might go directly through a wall to the inside.  Electric would probably go to the electric meter or near to it.  Describe what you can.  

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."  -  Mark Twain

• Fri, Mar 27 2015 7:51 AM In reply to

Pryor:
    Do I have any rights to get them moved?

If they service your house and no other houses, then you should be able to contact the various utility companies/agencies whose lines they are and request undergrounding of your service.  Be aware that this will NOT be free of charge.

If they run across your yard and continue in both directions, odds are extremely high that they are in an easement and you have no right to get them relocated.  You could try negotiating a new easement to replace the old one, but be aware that even if you are successful, you would be expected to pay all the costs of both the physical relocation and the legal relocation.  I suspect the total bill would be eye-popping.

When you first bought your home, if your agent was on the ball, you included in your purchase contract a "title contingency" which specified that you were to receive a copy of the title report prior to purchase and could reject the purchase if there was anything bad in there.  Hopefully you saved that title report, because the easement(s) giving the utility companies the right to run their lines across your property should be in there.

If you don't have a copy of your title report, you would have to either get a new report from one of the title companies or do your own digging in the county-maintained property records.  I'd recommend first going to the website of the county recorder or other county official in charge of the public land records and seeing what you can find there.  You can probably search on the property's tax ID number but some counties also allow searches by address or owner name.  Some counties have scanned the old documents and put them online, but others only have newer documents online.  Utility easements tend to date back at least as far as the creation date of the lot, so are often older documents.

• Fri, Mar 27 2015 8:46 AM In reply to

Pryor:
    I'd like to find out if there is a way to know who/what these are being used for

Of course there is.

Pryor:
    if they are not electric, but end up being cable or phone, how I should go about trying to get them relocated. Do I have any rights to get them moved?

I'm not sure why you apparently think electric wires would be treated differently than other utilities.  In any event, whether you have a right to have them moved will depend in large part on whether there is a utility easement.  You'd need to check the title report you (presumably) received when you bought your home.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership New Users: Search Community