The Lawyers.com Law Forums will be shutting down on June 30, 2017. We encourage you to resolve any outstanding discussions prior to that time. If you have any questions about this change, please email info@martindale.com.

Not late on payments yet

Previous | Next
 rated by 0 users
Latest post Fri, May 15 2015 9:23 AM by adjuster jack. 2 replies.
  • Fri, May 15 2015 2:04 AM

• Pelle471
      Consumer
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 15 2015
    • FL
    • Posts 3

Not late on payments yet

Dear All,

I am considering bankruptcy because I already know that very very soon I won't be able to pay my credit cards. However, I have never been late on any payment, including mortgage or condo fees. As my income has dropped, I've been trying to at least pay the minimum balances. Soon, I will not be able to do that either. Before I 'qualify' do I need to be behind on payments and have stacks of letters from my creditors?

Thanks!

• Fri, May 15 2015 8:59 AM In reply to

Re: Not late on payments yet

No.  Neither being "behind on payments" nor "hav[ing] stacks of letters from . . . creditors" is a prerequisite to BK filing.

• Fri, May 15 2015 9:23 AM In reply to

Re: Not late on payments yet

Pelle471:

Dear All,

I am considering bankruptcy because I already know that very very soon I won't be able to pay my credit cards. However, I have never been late on any payment, including mortgage or condo fees. As my income has dropped, I've been trying to at least pay the minimum balances. Soon, I will not be able to do that either. Before I 'qualify' do I need to be behind on payments and have stacks of letters from my creditors?

It  would have been helpful if you had added this question to your other post that tells us you've been living in Europe for the last 7 years.

http://community.lawyers.com/forums/t/168382.aspx

While you don't "need" to default on anything if you are going to file bankruptcy I fail to see the upside to throwing good money after bad if you are going to file bankruptcy anyway (since your credit rating gets trashed), especially if you qualify for Chapter 7 where all your debts get discharged.

Were I in your place and were going to file, I would quit paying on the credit cards and the condo (let it go to foreclosure) and start piling up cash that you'll need for paying a bankruptcy lawyer and travelling to the US if you have to.

• The right of the people 
    • to keep and bear arms,
    • shall not be infringed.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS

My Community

Community Membership Search Community